MR2 rear suspension into alltrac?

CodingParadox

So, I have an mr2 halfcut sitting in my driveway. As I sit here popping AGXs into my fronts, I'm wondering... Would the whole rear shock assembly from the MR2 fit right into my rear suspension? It looks like pretty much a bolt-up replacement, but I don't know if the shock/spring rates would work well.

I don't care if they're only a factory replacement-equivalent. The alltrac suspension is 16 years old and absolutely dead, so the newer and less-driven-on mr2 suspension will be way better than whatever's in there right now if it'll work.

acylon

Do you still have the Mr2 tranny?
If so, what year is it and do you want to sell it?

What is your end goal for your all trac? Street, strip, rally ect...?

CodingParadox

It's a 93 MR2 turbo tranny, but I believe I've already sold it to Sean S from the celica.net boards (he's been waffling, but I think he finally actually agreed to it.)

The end goal for my alltrac is some combination of autox and rally. Whether that's only rally-x or if i switch to stagerally, I don't know.

mtbgael

I've got the tranny off my '87 3S-GE if you're interested in a 2wd tranny. Just some whoring of the parts b/c I'm trying to get ride of them. Only 8k miles on it!!

alltrac.net

The strut housing is similar, but the problem is the swaybar mount is in the wrong spot, so it won't work.

However, if the rear struts wont' be used, you can hack them up to convert your sealed rear shocks into inserts. Since they are so similar in dimensions it will be a snap.

You can also use the MR2 rear springs. They are about 50LB/IN higher then the stock ST165 springs. All you have to do is cut a coil off to make sure your ST165 doesn't sit too high.

I was using stock MR2 rear springs in my ST165 and it was great.

SeanGTS

CodingParadox":3c4dn3j6 said:
It's a 93 MR2 turbo tranny, but I believe I've already sold it to Sean S from the celica.net boards (he's been waffling, but I think he finally actually agreed to it.)

The end goal for my alltrac is some combination of autox and rally. Whether that's only rally-x or if i switch to stagerally, I don't know.

I actually frequent the alltrac board more often, and yes this transaction is well on its way.

SeanGTS

CodingParadox":1kwhxjpe said:

I actually frequent the alltrac board more often, and yes this transaction is well on its way.