ECU isn't advancing timing?

CodingParadox

So, messed with some stuff. The car now sometimes starts on its own power, sometimes doesn't. If I jump it, it starts fine, I can rollstart it and it's boggy but works. Starting itself, it just cranks and cranks but never catches. Very weird. In any event, this is tangential to my main question.

I did my timing tonight, because I wanted to see if that was causing some of this really messed up stuff. I discovered that the timing was at like 25 degrees BTDC. I then discovered that I couldn't move the distributor enough back to get it less than 16-ish degrees. I tried swapping my old distributor cap back on, and that one I could adjust nicely to 10. So, that other cap blows and doesn't really work on my engine. Fair enough, just annoying. Good thing it was cheap.

So, with the old cap back on, I adjusted to 10 BTDC with the service plugs shorted. I then pulled the short... And timing didn't move. It stayed right at 10. Odd. So I drove the car around. It was incredibly boggy, just like when I first got the car. When I first got the car, it drove, but idled weird, and I could boost but still had very little power. I found that timing was 10 degrees off. Fixed that and all was good. However, this time, timing is at 10 base, and that's not working, since I think the ECU isn't advancing it at all. So it's doing the same boggy thing. I can reach full boost at like 2500RPMs in 2nd gear because if I just start at 2400rpms or so and floor it, I'll get virtually no power, but fully spool after a few seconds and only be up to 2700-ish RPMs. Very very weird.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

On the upside, I can floor it all I want and it's not overheating, but this may also be because it's not actually making any power, and that as soon as I fix whatever this is, I'll have power agin and it'll overheat. From one problem back to another. :)

T-spoon

How are the plugs? When were they changed last and what kind are they? Seems to me there are a couple things that would keep timing from advancing properly. Either something is physically wrong with that system that is supposed to retard and advance timing, or it is keeping timing back and running you in limp mode because it thinks there is detonation or there is actually detonation being picked up by knock sensor. What kind of gas is it running?

CodingParadox

I haven't checked 'em yet, I'm gonna check them out tomorrow. Now I'm getting a knock sensor problem, so I'm gonna try to swap it tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

The plugs are NGK Iridium IX plugs that I bought a few weeks ago. They have maybe 600 miles on them now. I put em in as soon as I got the car.

pepper

David, as long as you have the plugs out, try swapping them with some basic copper ones... I had iffy results when I tried Iridiums in my 165, and putting copper ones is a cheap way to test whether they're contributing to your issues.

If you can't find some this weekend drop me a note, I think I've got a couple extra sets hanging around, but I'd have to look for sure.

-Mike

Masterkale

open the diagnostics socket and bridge together T & E1, (TE1 and E1 for 185 and 205). Failure to short these pins together will ensure that you do not set the ignition timing correctly.

Did you do that?

CodingParadox

Yeah, all the books tell you to, so that's what I did. However, the ecu isn't advancing. Set it at 10, pull short, stays at 10. Etc. I haven't had a chance to change my knock sensor yet.

acylon

If you pull the service wire after you set the timing, you should be able to see the timing advance alot if you reach over to the throttle and rev the engine. Did you get an engine code for knock sensor?

CodingParadox

Yeah - since posting that, I've started getting ECU codes for knock sensor, so I suspect this has been the problem for the last few weeks, it just wasn't sure it was dead yet.

sardgt4

I had a similar problem on my st185. When I jumped te1 and el the timing did not change. I recently got a new throttle body with a new isc and tps. I tested my tps and it was bad. I was not getting any signal at all on one of the tests. I must tell you that I had no engine codes even though the tps was messed up. After throwing in a new tps, the timing retards when I jump the 2 wires on the diag. Go get a volt/ohm meter and test your tps. It took me years to figure this one out.

Good luck

John 92 st185