?'s on what you boys do during road races

theUNYTEDone

alrighty...since there's no 1/4 mi or otherwise here, i'm forced to have a street run or two (when its popo-safe) every here and there...now, i've got a few questions on the way to ideally run our cars on the road.

-what rpm do you lads shift at? im currently only running Ares to about 5.5 before shifting...i get kinda worried up at those R's.
-what's your favorite gear to do a roll on in? what speed?
-how long do your road battles last?
-how long do you hold boost in any gear?

i know, i know...complete newb Q's, basically...but down here we're just not lucky enough anymore. i'm on an old clutch, thats why i don't try practicing launches yet. :oops:

sorry about the no0obness.

alltracshoak

dump the clutch while revving it back in forth from 3k to 5k to create little boost during those revs. i usually shift mines at 6.5k because im scare of the oil pump not providing enough oil to lubricate things.

theUNYTEDone

i think im safe hitting a little higher than 6...got in a MKIV fuel pump, and a 50 trim CT26. however, i only get the revs up that fast in 1st and maybe 2nd if im trying hard.

TheAutoholic

Rev to 6k. 3k to 4k is a good strong spot to start a roll race from.

A big thing you can learn how to do with a boosted car is to brake boost --> When you are lined up next to someone while rolling, waiting for them to 3 honk or them waiting for you to 3 honk, just before you are going to go, put one foot on the gas, and one foot on the brakes. Not for very long tho, as its obviously bad on your brakes, but it will allow you to build boost while not going any faster. That way, when you let off the brakes and completely floor it, your car will already be in boost. 8)

toayoztan

theUNYTEDone":27r6jvrn said:
i think im safe hitting a little higher than 6...got in a MKIV fuel pump, and a 50 trim CT26. however, i only get the revs up that fast in 1st and maybe 2nd if im trying hard.

Yeah, but what's been done to the turbine (hot) side of the turbo?

Bryan

theUNYTEDone

i really have no idea. i just bought the thing (under the impression that it was just a brand new OEM)...but lo and behold... :evil:

gearhead313

Mine hits the 7500 limiter so fast, i rarely think quick enough to shift early. It pulls right to redline anway, so i never really think about it... although i do only have full boost by 5k :wink:

Thinking back to my stock turbo days though, it really doesn't pull much past 6k. Everyone else hit it right on teh nose.

You should bump the turbine wheel size up some to help flow that 50 trim front wheel. That will help your powerband wake up some as well. Remember, your turbine is very important when setting a turbo up. Sometimes just a TURBINE upgrade will help tremendously instead of a compressor upgrade.

theUNYTEDone

well...my almost-ct27? has been doing the job quite fine. might get in an MBC to about 13psi just for kicks until the GT35R has a chance to go in.