The ST185 wheel size thread (offsets, widths, etc)

CMS-GT4

For those interested I found another wheel option. They are for a good price at tirererack.

ASA

17x8 35et (165 each)

wheelDisplay.jsp

Enkei

17x8 35et (288)

wheelDisplay.jsp

Volk Gramlight
17x8 45et (I think volk offers a lower offset in the setup.)

wheelDisplay.jsp

Others in 17x8 for our car.

wheelDisplay.jsp

wheelDisplay.jsp

There are more designs if you guys hunt through here. Plus if you call them with your specs, they can help find a wheel that works thats not listed on their website.

Their website offers safe wheels sizes they know wil fit that are also not far off from stock rolling dia. etc..

Good luck.

EDIT: copy and paste those links, tirerack prevents their images from being linked.

beppy

Conan":279auntr said:
beppy":279auntr said:
i just ordered a set of enkei rs7. 17x7 et 42mm.

this is greater than stock et of 38 mm. would i have anything to worry about? or should i start ordering spacers.
Sure, you won't be competing for Mr Flush Fenders 2007 with those wheels but +42 offset does not cause any clearance problems on ST185. I was running those same specs for over 2 years.

i received the rims today. there is clearance problem at least in the rear. The wheel right now is rubbing against the back. so its too far in. Maybe its because it is mounted with 225mm tires, maybe 215, or 205mm tires will be better.

havn't tried the front, but i'm thinking about doing that too, if front clears, maybe all i'll need are spacers in the back.

Griffin

So has anyone run the Team Dynamics 17x9 wheels on an ST185?

If so do the fenders have to be rolled, are spacers required, and what tire size can youget away with?

CMS-GT4

Adios bought them a while back. I think he ran 245/45/17. Not sure if he had to roll anything. I had to roll the fenders for 255/40/17.

AWDios

Griffin":bu6a8xgg said:

If so do the fenders have to be rolled, are spacers required, and what tire size can youget away with?

Indeed I did. Dude my car is in the ad on Rocketeer and I've got reviews earlier in this thread and pics, so go look. I'd say a spacer in the rear might be nice but not required.

Anyways, yes no fender rolling, but the car is still on stock suspension, I could see potentially needing to roll them if I lowered it.

The outside of the tire will rub the fender lining in the front when at full lock, but its minor and you could trim. I think I also heard the fenders rub on hard bumps while autocrossing, but again, stock suspension, 200k miles on the car, I got it at 150k, and I don't think the original owner ever replaced the shocks.

turbo4wd

AWDios":24f9ewxa said:
Griffin":24f9ewxa said:

Indeed I did. Dude my car is in the ad on Rocketeer and I've got reviews earlier in this thread and pics, so go look. I'd say a spacer in the rear might be nice but not required.

Anyways, yes no fender rolling, but the car is still on stock suspension, I could see potentially needing to roll them if I lowered it.

The outside of the tire will rub the fender lining in the front when at full lock, but its minor and you could trim. I think I also heard the fenders rub on hard bumps while autocrossing, but again, stock suspension, 200k miles on the car, I got it at 150k, and I don't think the original owner ever replaced the shocks.

Just be aware, if your car is lowered on the stock struts, or if you have coilovers like Teins, the TDs will not fit without spacers. Here's the conversation via PM that John from Rocketeer and I had 2 years ago when AWDios first got his set.

turbo4wd":24f9ewxa said:
My current wheels are 17x7.5 with a 48 offset.. 17x9 with a 30 offset would give me 1mm LESS clearance from the inside of the wheel to strut body..

Anyhow.. my point is I went out tonight and took off one of my rear wheels, took off my 1 inch spacer, and tried to mount just the wheel itself so I could get an idea of clearance and the middle of the sidewall ended up hitting against the bottom perch on the Tein.. But this isnt what worries me because I know I can adjust these.. What worries me is I know when I had my stock strut setup, my wheels rubbed against the rear strut tower..
Rocketeer":24f9ewxa said:
Yes, I just confirmed the same measurement. The overall distance from the inside rim surface to the mounting surface on your 7.5 is 143.25 vs. 144.30 on the 9". So, you would have slightly more than 1mm less space.

I don't think AWDios' car is lowered which may be why it worked on his. There may be enough spacing to move it out that slight amount with a narrow 2.5mm spacer. However, I can't guanrantee that.

John.

Griffin

Huh... I do have Tein SS suspension but the car isn't significantly lowered. I'll just call John and talk to him I guess.

Hows life in Tenessee treatign you Dan? I was going to call you the other day to catch up but couldn't find your number.

turbo4wd

Griffin":3b8w56gv said:
Huh... I do have Tein SS suspension but the car isn't significantly lowered. I'll just call John and talk to him I guess.

If its lowered at all, its most likely not going to work.. On my previous setup I had the stock struts, but they had the Whiteline springs in there, which don't offer a significant drop in ride height..

If you want, you can also try another option. The Falken Hanabi's come in 17x9 5x100 with a 20 offset and theyre offered at a great price (around $175 each depending on the source). They are manufactured by Enkei so there shouldn't be too many questions in terms of quality. The only thing questionable is the swept spoke design which I'm not a big fan of personally..

Another thing is they've been out for quite some time now, and I'm not sure when Falken will change or discontinue the design.. For now its still up on their website..
http://www.falkentire.com/main.htm

As for TN.. hehe.. its nice.. but I've been so freakin busy its crazy.. I'll email you my info again.

lumbercis

I thought that Team Dynamics was making the wheels with those specs specifically for our cars? If thats the case, can't we just ask them to make the rims with a lower offset? For a 17x9 rim, what is the "perfect" offset without using spacers?
J.

AWDios

lumbercis":2vd5zsom said:
I thought that Team Dynamics was making the wheels with those specs specifically for our cars? If thats the case, can't we just ask them to make the rims with a lower offset? For a 17x9 rim, what is the "perfect" offset without using spacers?
J.

Rocketeer was stocking them for our car, and they do fit just about perfect for a stock car. All sorts of other mods don't work together without some changes (white line swaybar and Tein's for example)

turbo4wd

lumbercis":3ux4pz4t said:
But with a different offset, won't the wheels fit well on both stock and modded alltracs? Seems like we have plenty of fender, might as well use it right?
J.

Yes, but TD wasn't making custom wheels for us specifically - Rocketeer was stocking wheels that TD was already offering at a preset offset that just happened to work for 185s that had a stock ride height.

lumbercis

Okay, I did a little more research and managed to confuse myself.

Point of confusion 1: On the very first post of this thread it says that 17x9 +30 we "know" fits, which is presumably why TD chose those specs. Now they don't fit anymore? Why? Is it particular to the design of the TD wheels? I know several people were using the Sportmax 050's with those specs and didnt report any major problems?

Point of confusion 2: Just regarding appearance, i found several posts that stated that 17x9 +30 was "flush" up front. But Superwhite92 just suggested a +20. If the +30 is flush wouldnt the +20 stick out past the fender?

Point of confusion 3: A few pages back, someone posted these specs for 17x9s that are flush front and rear with no spacers: Front: 17x9, +25ET, Rear: 17x9, +13ET. Ive heard as low as +5 in the rear. Why the discrepancy? Without spacers, what offset F/R allows both wheels to be flush with the fenders? Why does this seem to be a matter of opinion? Can't you just measure and figure it out?

I'm starting to think figuring our wheel offsets is a form of black magic.

:x
J.

SuperWhite92

lumbercis":24593263 said:
Okay, I did a little more research and managed to confuse myself.

Point of confusion 1: On the very first post of this thread it says that 17x9 +30 we "know" fits, which is presumably why TD chose those specs. Now they don't fit anymore? Why? Is it particular to the design of the TD wheels? I know several people were using the Sportmax 050's with those specs and didnt report any major problems?

Point of confusion 2: Just regarding appearance, i found several posts that stated that 17x9 +30 was "flush" up front. But Superwhite92 just suggested a +20. If the +30 is flush wouldnt the +20 stick out past the fender?

Point of confusion 3: A few pages back, someone posted these specs for 17x9s that are flush front and rear with no spacers: Front: 17x9, +25ET, Rear: 17x9, +13ET. Ive heard as low as +5 in the rear. Why the discrepancy? Without spacers, what offset F/R allows both wheels to be flush with the fenders? Why does this seem to be a matter of opinion? Can't you just measure and figure it out?

I'm starting to think figuring our wheel offsets is a form of black magic.

:x
J.

The Team Dynamics will fit, but they are not flush in the rear, and will rub both front and rear when the car is lowered. "We know fits" is in reference to a stock alltrac.

A +30 offset is indeed perfect on a 9" wheel in front. My recommendation was for the rear, which requires less offset to be flush with the fender. note that the 050's people use are a +38, and will not clear stock suspension components without small spacers. The TD wheels and the sportmax wheels do not have the same offset.

In accordance with what I just mentioned, there is no offset that can be flush front and rear without using rear wheel spacers. You will need to run different offsets front and rear, run a spacer in the rear, or just deal with not having perfectly flush wheels.

Personally, my recommendation to the average joe is to get some 8" wide wheels in the diameter of your choice with a +32 to +40 offset, and then order a pair of H&R (NOT CHEAP EBAY) Wheel spacers in a 25mm DRM series, so that you don't need to get new studs. This way, you get a seriously mean look with minimal issues, even on a lowered car, and can run a tire that is somewhat close to stock rolling diameter. Considering that most of the people with 9" wide wheels on the alltrac have been mounting 255mm wide tires or less, most people really don't need any wider than an 8", since the recommended wheel size on most 245mm wide tires is an 8" rim, and the difference between a 245 and a 255mm tire is very minimal, and unless you're into frequent racing, you won't notice the performance difference.

Griffin

well for my part I have super lightweight 17 x 7.5s (SSR comps) with Yokohama Advan A032R H compounds on them, and I want more meat on the ground. I have 235 series tires and I want a substantial increase which means 9" wheels.

Mind you this is for track use - I will have R compounds on them and unles I go with A048s I will probably use them track only.

Griffin

I called SSR USA's 800 number oday and it put me through to tire rack - and they said they don't have a 7x9 5x100 and that they don't go custom on SSR. Bastards.

I called a lot of places and struck out this morning. CCW will do them but its about $2250 and they weight 20 pounds. I'm still trying to get a weight on the team Dynamics wheels.

I called sportmax and they don't have a 17x9 in 5x100 either

Volk has a 17x8.5 thats very light (14 lbs) the CE20N, but its a +40 offset so spacers might be required

I've also been looking at tires and the new BF Goodrige R1s sound REALLY nice, but the AVON RA1s are waaay cheaper.

I think I also decided I'll be going back to Yokohama for my street tires when the A032Rs wear out - going to move to a A048 hard compound

lumbercis

Weight on the Team Dynamics should be about 20lbs based on this site http://www.wheelweights.net/

SSR Type C's are listed in 17x8 and 17x9 both with +35 standard offset. Don't know if either of these would fit us, but since they already make the bolt pattern and size, it may not be too difficult to order just a custom offset. These wheels are about the best compromise of weight v price out there. You can get some custom Volks, but for that size you are going to pay through the nose.

Whats the biggest tire you can fit on a 17x8? That may open up some more options.

J.