1990 st185-300whp +++

C-dubb

So, i've been working on this this "project" for the past 5 years. Had things in order and working well (Besides the Shogun body kit that was put on in the place of more expensive factory body panels when the car had been in an accident, and the fact that i was young and stupid) But anyways. When i bought the 1990 st185 ($2,100) i drove to New Hampshire with my father to pick it up on a flatbed from somone i didn't know, but had the car listed on a rally cross sale website (don't recall what site it was) but i do remember purchasing it from a man who went by the screen name 'The Nickeled Stork' (a physician named Terry)

When we got the car home we brought it to the frame shop to have the frame straightened and a few parts replaced ($1500) After bringing the car home from the shop i decided to buy another st185 (the car i was going to purchase initially) from a friend in town who had blown his engine, thinking that it would be nice to pick up another All-Trac for a decent price ($2,000)

The engine was pulled and it was sent to the shop and built to hold power (JE pistons, Eagle H-beams, ARP heads and mains, HKS HG, everything blueprinted, new valves, all that stuff) The turbo was rebuilt (T04E-54 trim). After everything was put together and broken in, I ran a 14.5 sec. 1/4. Mods included; already listed engine mods, Custom Straight intake, Muffler, Boost controller (15psi), ATS knock sensor, deleted VSV). But, things went a little awry, knock codes, bad fuel system, that kind of thing.

Now I'm back with the same mods, and a few more to boot. Wolfkatz side feed (550's or higher), Custom Fab'd 3"DP (3" boost actuated cutout or full 3" exhaust pending) , ATS EGR block-off's, Hydra Nemesis EMS, ACT 6-puck, GAB 4-ways and springs in the rear, KYB's and springs in the front, and now RC hood and bumper (Thanks to RM2932), CT26 (soon to be replaced by CT27 if the budget soon permits, which it should). Here are some pics of the progress, it's still a work in progress but hopefully i will be finished in the next couple of months.

dsc02204ru9.jpg

4i7362w.jpg

A little upset that my engine bay looks like rust.
2wdbn6w.jpg

Hydra IAT replacing the cold start Inj. and the cold start blocked off at fuel rail.
4484yv9.jpg

Front Mounted
2u8l9wx.jpg

Front bumper and FMIC, Pretty good for fitting it without any idea of where the RC bumper would mount
2vtayqa.jpg

Trying to figure where to mount the Hydra
2h50kup.jpg

Been searching and trying to find some input on removing the coolant lines thru the intake, anyone have any suggestions?
3ywiret.jpg

I like the ATS block-off plates...beefy.
487g5xf.jpg

Wish me luck

2evx014.jpg

donteatbugs

nice looking cs kit. how do you like the hydra? did you tune yourself? how complex was it? im looking to get one in the near future and was wandering. nice work on the engine too.

C-dubb

Thanks. Thy Hydra looks great, and It's been an easy install, just having to replace the cold start injector with the IAT sensor and hooking up the Hydra to a Vacuum source. I haven't done any tuning yet, but i have read up on it a bit and some of it seems easy. The 2 step tuning seems simple enough, starting at 50/50 for both values and going from there. But i think i am going to have it tuned by a shop that is farmiliar with the 3s and the Hydra, a place here in MI called The Tuning Factory.

C-dubb

bloodMoney":f1jxndxx said:
Where exactly is the tuning shop? My parents live over in Kalamazoo...

~bloodMoney

It's in Farmington Hills, near detroit. About 2 hours away from the 'Zoo.

C-dubb

gpmarzan":2p83zst1 said:
car seems to be coming along..i still have yet to see this beast.

Ha, well i'm right down the road, this town is only about 10 miles long. You should come check it out when I'm working on installing the clutch... :lol: ... not looking forward to it.

Sifu

C-dubb":3rl59p5b said:
gpmarzan":3rl59p5b said:
car seems to be coming along..i still have yet to see this beast.

Ha, well i'm right down the road, this town is only about 10 miles long. You should come check it out when I'm working on installing the clutch... :lol: ... not looking forward to it.

Shh... You're not suppose to tell him about fixing a clutch, just tell him to come over...

C-dubb

Patrick was over here helping me remove the engine and install the new 6 puck clutch. we went to wal mart and got some sand paper to re-surface that flywheel like that new shit...mmmmmm. I'm getting the engine ready to install, besides the Hydra which i will have to wait for and install after i purchase again.

C-dubb

About that...I've got the engine hanging on the hoist and the tranny on the furniture dolly. I tried for about two hours last night to get te two to mate up right and i just can't get it. Any suggestions anyone? I want to get it back together this afternoon and get the engine back in the bay and on the mounts so i can be done with this hoist.

Sifu

Put the engine on the cam gears side (CAREFULLY!!!) with a towel or something to protect it from moving/slipping/cracking hoist the tranny up and like Voltron connect them by using gravity. This is the easiest way to mate them.

I accidentally broke my powersteering idle check valve bypass thingy and I think those are like $80 worth of plastic.
fit.jpg

fit2.jpg

donteatbugs

^ thats is the easiest way bar far. i had it bolted up in about 45 minutes. i have to work by myself too. it took a total of 4 weeks to do everything while i had my motor out.

C-dubb

Yea it's taken a while. I thought that would be a better way to go but didn't want to do it because of the crank/cams/power sterring being a bit more vulnerable with several hudred pounds of pressure on them. I sat it up on it's side and dropped the tranny back on last night. I got the engine on a dolly hoisted the chassis up and slid it back under...now i'm trying to find the best way to get it back on the motor mounts. I took a break last night after bashing my skull 3 times on the boom of the engine hoist and nearly breaking my forearm...going this bitch alone is an extreme pain in the ass. and head. Any suggestions? it will probably just be alot of manuevering. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Sifu

Motor mounts? I'm not following? You mean putting it back in? If you had a hoist leveler it would make things easier but I just use a jack under the tranny/engine and hoist and jack into position until the mounts and bolts fit through. It's all about the angle at that point.

C-dubb

Yeah, i got it this morning after about 45 minutes of messing with the hoist a floor jack under the tranny...and a long shanked screwdriver. It's in...what a hell of a time. I'm leaving for the weekend but i should have time next week to get the harness all hooked up vacuum lines, drive shaft, axles struts back in and see how it rolls with the new clutch. I have to say i am a little more than burnt out from doing all of this by myself. need a break for a bit. Thanks for all the help. and i pray i don't have to do it again for at least another two year.

gpmarzan

Hey man, sorry I didnt get to stop by to see the progress before I left. Glad you got mostly everything back together. My car made it back to jersey without problems, which I am greatly thankful for. :D I wont be bringing it back in the fall, as I only have one more semester till I graduate so we wont be able to do a mini, mini meet. :p I'll catch you in the fall man. Keep me updated with your car.

Gurr

You should bring it back! I would drive up to holland to have a meet with you guys. I'm only about 1.5 hours away from there.