heat coat the turbo

RIalltrac

I understand the concept behind coating the exhaust portion of the turbo, but would coating the intake housing be beneficial? I see these coatings as means to trap heat inside thier respective system and in the case of exhaust it makes sense because it would eventually push the "heat" being trapped out your muffler tip, but with the intake side woud you want to trap heat? I understand it would also stop heat from soaking in as well, but is more heat generated in the compression process than what is present in the engine bay to be soaked into the intake portion?

turbo4wd

billprice":21ampt5m said:
BOTH housings can be coated.

true, but i was assuming he was asking what could be coated that would give any real benefit.. from what HPC has told me, coating the compressor housing is purely for cosmetic reasons..

billprice

My "old" GT25-400R had both sides coated. It is now sold. The intake was just done for cosmetic purposes. My new turbo was coated only on the outlet side. Both were done by Jet-Hot.

Wraith

I have the chanceto talk to a very knowledgable engineer here at my work.. His name is Mike Kimbrell and he is the number 1 engineer for metalergy for BP America/UK ...

But anyway we talk about ceramic coats and why 300 series stainless crack and why the ceramic coats would affect the metal... Well, basically he answered like this ... Certain ceramic coats has a chloride ( spell check pls) base ... Chlorides affect 300series or any type of metal where it actually lowers the heat rating of a certain metal. Lets say 321 stainless with its 1800+ heat rating would be drop to almost below a 1000 because of the chloride base...

We at the refinery are having major issues with Chlorides in our oil steams because its a by product of some of the crude we're running... Basically, chlorides becomes very acidric ( spell check again pls) at certain temperature and would actually start to eat away the metal and weakens it, some times to the point of corrosion ... Hell, we have 9 chrom metal that is suppose to withstand and any type of corrosive duties; get eaten away in a quarter of its service life.

So if your going to get ceramic coating on type of metal ... Make sure that the coatings they're using doesnt have a chloride base to it. ... I hope this is helpfull information ...

beej

Wraith":2gv56aca said:
I have the chanceto talk to a very knowledgable engineer here at my work.. His name is Mike Kimbrell and he is the number 1 engineer for metalergy for BP America/UK ...

But anyway we talk about ceramic coats and why 300 series stainless crack and why the ceramic coats would affect the metal... Well, basically he answered like this ... Certain ceramic coats has a chloride ( spell check pls) base ... Chlorides affect 300series or any type of metal where it actually lowers the heat rating of a certain metal. Lets say 321 stainless with its 1800+ heat rating would be drop to almost below a 1000 because of the chloride base...

We at the refinery are having major issues with Chlorides in our oil steams because its a by product of some of the crude we're running... Basically, chlorides becomes very acidric ( spell check again pls) at certain temperature and would actually start to eat away the metal and weakens it, some times to the point of corrosion ... Hell, we have 9 chrom metal that is suppose to withstand and any type of corrosive duties; get eaten away in a quarter of its service life.

So if your going to get ceramic coating on type of metal ... Make sure that the coatings they're using doesnt have a chloride base to it. ... I hope this is helpfull information ...

good stuff man ill definately remember that one :shock:

Wraith

Good add insurance for cermaic coating is spend the money and get the Turbo heat shielding from Advanced Thermal Products, inc their website is www.ATPwrap.com and they did my firsts MR2 turbo manifold it looks awesome and lowered the under hood temperatures considerably and lowered his spool time because of heat being kept in the turbo, instead of it being lost out of radiation...