What needs work on your alltrac? (LA area)

lumbercis

I know we've had threads like this in the general section, but I have a specific reason for asking again here which I will reveal later. So, if you are an LA area alltrac owner, list everything on your alltrac that needs work right now. Mechanical, apprearance, mods, whatever.

Also, list what you think is the primary reason these things have yet to be fixed (ie money, time, lack of knowledge/tools, don't care... whatever)

Here's my list:
AC broke
oil pan leak
bad inner tie rod
diff mount clunk
needs new struts
cruise control doesn't work
driver's window control has a short
antenna doesn't retract
needs paint/body work
curb rash on wheels

Reason for not fixing: everything-time, money, knowledge, tools, plus its my daily driver so I can't handle too much down time.

how about you?
J.

EDIT: And my new TEINS installed!

smog7

lets see, tie rod boots torn, struts are crap, leaky valve cover gasket, and front driver side fender is dented, and one of my brake lights doesnt turn on. its a work in progress. Valve cover gasket and fender should be fixed in upcoming 2-3 months, tire rod boots and struts likely wont be worked on untill I have enough for new struts or coilovers.

Qlynxer

I need to repair a wheel bearing, do the rear sturt conversino, and rear diff mount. I can change front struts and springs in less then 2 hours. If you guys ever want to meet up and get some maintainance done let me know.

QUan L

smog7

do you know how to convert the rear struts? it would be cool to set up a day to get some stuff done, anyone have a place we could meet at?

smog7

lumbercis- if you just want your antenna to stay down then reach behind the interior panel closest to the antenna and just unplug the connection, should keep it down. I can help out with switching out the diff mount since I did it on my car last year.

Qlynxer

Never done the conversion myself but it looks to be an easy project. Just gotta find some donor strut housing. I've got a garage at my place in santa ana. I've got only basic tools though.

Quan L

Qlynxer

I know memorial weekend, the local junk yard had there 50% of sale. That would be a good time to get the donor struts. I see lots of celicas there.

Quan L

alltracshoak

even though im not in LA i just thought i would share
needs to replace
-driver side cv boot
-needs new clutch disc
-mls hg
-arp head studs
-fix boost creep
-flush gear oil
-oil change
-install my motor back in :cry:

showcaseceli90

Qlynxer":ezrjckmt said:
I know memorial weekend, the local junk yard had there 50% of sale. That would be a good time to get the donor struts. I see lots of celicas there.

Quan L
What junkyard is doing that? I wanna check it out for some stuff too.

muneo

-A/c idle up doesnt work
-Sunroof cables stripped
-Cruise Control switches off and on whenever it feels like it (after I activate it)
-Seats in bad shape
-Car gives off a smoke screen when I hit about 5500 RPM at WOT
-Exhaust rattle
-1st and 2nd gear Transmission synchros pretty much non-existent

This is the short list....you'd throw up if you saw the list when I bought this car 5 years ago... :twisted:

Toxygene

Lets see. My list is:

Clutch slave
AC System
Hose from Hell
Hose from Hell on Earth
Rear Main Seal
Replacing all interior plastic pieces with Grey interior.
Installing my poly engine mounts
Replacing all struts, springs, front control arms, Sway bars...
Replacing door light switches.
Possible new clutch and flywheel

Need Pakfeifer body kit installed and whole car repainted
Want to get 3 inch exhaust out to back

And a whole bunch of other stuff in the works.

Reason? I was out of work for a while and I don't have a garage to call my own.

Toxygene

Hahah.. and then people wonder why I've been saving up and out of action...

I am trying to restore this car.. It only has about 78 to 80,000 miles on it.

I'm wondering about whether to keep the rollbars in it, get a nicer set of rollbars welded in, or to simply remove them entirely and to restore the rear seat area.

Group buy on AC parts??? LOL

lumbercis

Damn, I wish you were closer, i'd love to help you restore the car. But riverside is waaay out there for me. Is the car you are talking about the red or white one in your sig?

J.

Toxygene

It's the white one. The red one is actually Steve's but ironically I ended up buying a red GT-S that looks alot like his AllTrac.

I appreciate the offer. It's too bad your too far. As it is though, I've been saving up quite a bit and I hope to have quite a bit of restoration motor work done.

The way I look at it is this. I am buying a thirty thousand dollar car. It's just going to be on my terms and my payment plan. When I'm done. I'll have a car that is exactly the way I want it to be.

I think that's the problem with most owners. They see an AllTrac going for a cheap price and think that it'll be a cheap car to own.

It's a 20 to 30 grand car for anyone wanting to really keep it, run it, and definitely modify it.

muneo

I'm bringing this post back from the dead.

Lumb, I'm finally back in the work force meaning, I will finally have money to pay for gas to take me up to Chatsworth and to buy parts that my car is in dire need of. When I get a couple pay checks, I'm gonna take you up on that carne asada/beer offer.