polyurethane bushing drawbacks

Suspension and other discussion

polyurethane bushing drawbacks

Postby 3DZ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:18 am

i want to upgrade my bushings but weighing if poly's are woth the hassel.

any one that has the superpro bushings installed.

what are the negative aspects of this parts?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
3DZ
Club Member

Postby Mafix » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:49 am

they are freaking awesome. but you get a lot more drivetrain noise and such
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby Gary ST165 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:08 pm

upgrade?

some poly bush replacements do NOT function as well as the Toyota OEM original spherical bearings... :P

do NOT replace the bushings in the no.1 and no.2 rear arms with poly.

use the original toyota part #

ST165 turbo 4WD
ST185 GT-FOUR RC Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 825•5000
ST185 turbo 4WD Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 2541•5000

Gary ST165
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:06 am

I remember someone offhandedly mentioning that they had problems with accelerated wear with Superpro poly bushings. They said the bushings were real tight at first, but after a while developed alot of "play" which of course, was what you are trying to get rid of with poly in the first place.

Anyone have any other issues with this? Have you checked your poly bushings lately to see if they have developed any play?

One other issue that someone mentioned is that going all poly can make the rear too stiff. But I don't remember if they were talking about only ride quality or handling as well.

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby Wolf_Tm250 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:58 am

Gary ST165 wrote:upgrade?

some poly bush replacements do NOT function as well as the Toyota OEM original spherical bearings... :P

Hi Gary...

are you the Gary from UK that tried to make an aftermarket bushing for the figure "8" link of the Superstrut ST205 suspension ?

:D
Wolf_Tm250
Gt-Four ST205 [2.34kg/hp DynoDynamics]
http://www.youtube.com/WolfTm250

DynoJet whp are false, and closer to other dynos FW hp. Please specify what dyno are your Whp from.
http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/dynojet_dyno_inflated_hp_reason.html
Wolf_Tm250
Club Member

Postby Gary ST165 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Wolf_Tm wrote:

Hi Gary...

are you the Gary from UK that tried to make an aftermarket bushing for the figure "8" link of the Superstrut ST205 suspension ?

fig 8: not me :shrug:
ST165 turbo 4WD

Gary ST165
Established Member

Postby Wolf_Tm250 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Gary ST165 wrote:
Wolf_Tm wrote:

Hi Gary...

fig 8: not me :shrug:

So, definitely, he was another Gary from UK !

Bye !!
Wolf_Tm250
Gt-Four ST205 [2.34kg/hp DynoDynamics]
http://www.youtube.com/WolfTm250

DynoJet whp are false, and closer to other dynos FW hp. Please specify what dyno are your Whp from.
http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/dynojet_dyno_inflated_hp_reason.html
Wolf_Tm250
Club Member

Postby RIalltrac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:07 am

lumbercis wrote:I remember someone offhandedly mentioning that they had problems with accelerated wear with Superpro poly bushings. They said the bushings were real tight at first, but after a while developed alot of "play" which of course, was what you are trying to get rid of with poly in the first place.

Anyone have any other issues with this? Have you checked your poly bushings lately to see if they have developed any play?

One other issue that someone mentioned is that going all poly can make the rear too stiff. But I don't remember if they were talking about only ride quality or handling as well.

J.

I have the superpro's on my car, the rear is way stiff, but I also have the rear whiteline strut bar & sway bar. On certain tight uphill turns I can manage to get the rear drivers wheel off the ground. I've had the bushings in for roughly 35-40k and some of the bushings on the front end are going. I'm getting a lot of play and you can hear things moving around in a popping sort of fashion. Not fantastic, but they have been in for quite some time. The sounds started up about 5-10k ago. I've just been too lazy and cheap to get replacements. My car is a daily driver and is probably a bad example for most people who only use thier's on a limited basis. For the typical weekend warrior I doubt you'd ever have to replace a single bushing. Oh and fyi the roads in RI are absolutely horrible, probably another situation that led to thier early demise.
Chris - 90 ST185
RIalltrac
GTFour God

Postby ___Scott___ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:01 am

I have 34K miles on my SuperPro bushings, and they still feel good. It is important to grease them up real good when you put them in, and if they ever start to squeek it's time to re-grease them.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby tw2 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:03 am

Gary ST165 wrote:some poly bush replacements do NOT function as well as the Toyota OEM original spherical bearings... :P

do NOT replace the bushings in the no.1 and no.2 rear arms with poly.

Do you mean just the outer bushings? so 1 for each arm which I think you can only get from toyota anyway or do you mean the inside ones for each arm also?
Thomas, JDM 90 185, 06 350z
tw2
Established Member

Postby Gary ST165 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:15 am

both. Do NOT replace either inside or outside rear arm bushes with poly.
I do not believe the poly will behave in the same way as the OEM under loading.

I do NOT have a part number for the inside bush. Hence, little choice at i the moment. Either buy new arms from Toyota or suck it and see with a poly bush.

While browsing through the EPC looking for Toyota suspension arm spherical bearings i noticed an alternative sized MA70 supra bushing:

however i ordered them by mistake , :doh: and i can't find them at the moment to measure up and see if they suit the inner bushes..... my bad.

Edit 07/06/2007:

i measured the bushings:
45.22mm length
34.10mm OD

don't think they will fit, based on bushing info on the superflex applications pdf

idea: maybe one of these bushing part numbers will fit the inside rear arms ??? :shrug: trial and error.

anyone got a ma70 supra being broken near them?

>>> need to measure the control arm bushings.....

Last edited by Gary ST165 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ST165 turbo 4WD

Gary ST165
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:14 pm

Has anyone ever considered that replacing everything with poly might make your handling worse rather than better? I don't have the experience to answer that question myself, Im just putting it out there as food for thought. The general tone seems to be stiffer=better. But does that really hold on the streets? On the road course?

If you watch some of those japanese touge videos where Tsuchiya comments on the cars, it's not always the stiffest car which is the best handling. He comments all the time on some cars being set up too stiff. It seems that a certain amount of flexing may be good for handling over bumpy road surfaces that you would find on the street.

Another issue is this: are all the poly replacements cheaper than OEM? If you are just trying to freshen up an older car with worn bushes, then are you better off getting everything poly, or getting some OEM? Do things like those huge subframe bushings really develop that much play?

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby Mafix » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:52 am

some OEM bearings require the purchase of the entire arm. so poly is cheaper!
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:28 am

lumbercis wrote:If you watch some of those japanese touge videos where Tsuchiya comments on the cars, it's not always the stiffest car which is the best handling.

You aren't even getting close to how stiff those cars are just by replacing bushings. Besides, its your shock/spring combo that absorbs the road irregularities and if those are to stiff then you have problems.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby Gary ST165 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:52 pm

Mafix wrote:some OEM bearings require the purchase of the entire arm. so poly is cheaper!

thats why i'm hoping that an alternative toyota bushing can be sourced eg from an MA70 or otherwise...

Brand new OEM bushings are far far superior to poly. Having initially bought a complete poly kit... i was very disappointed with the fitment. I have since re-replaced and used new OEM where ever possible. control arms, diff mount, subframe bushing etc.

lumbercis wrote: Do things like those huge subframe bushings really develop that much play?
J.

after 10 years and 1500kg. the rubber has perished due to age.

after 15 years.... well there was not really much left to be honest, other than alot of this:

the best of the rest:

ST165 turbo 4WD

Gary ST165
Established Member

Next

Return to Handling and Braking