SFV-LA Alltrac Tech Group

lumbercis

Does anyone know of a place we could meet around the glendale, burbank or sunland/tujunga areas? It seems to me that meeting in the east valley area might be the best compromise. That way we can get people from the west valley area while still not being too far for the ontario people to make it, and its a pretty straight shot from the LA area as well. Remember, at first, we just need an outdoor place to work, and we shouldn't be doing anything that requires leaving a car there.

Ideas?

J.

ummmiono

sunland/tujunga would be sweet! i think the first meets should be at someones house, maybe like house calls. i dont think people would like a bunch of alltracs getting their oil changed in a parking lot. what we really need is someone with a shop!

lumbercis

^everyone with a really awesome place to meet is too far out of the valley. One person with a shop was in Norwalk. Another had a lift and air tools at home but was out past ontario. Looks like its going to have to be chatsworth for right now.

J.

lumbercis

^haha, volunteer your place then!

Anyway, since it looks like a great place isn't going to magically appear, and I don't want to wait any longer, I'll go ahead and start this up.

So fix-it meets every Sunday at my place, Lets say around 11:00?

Chatsworth, CA 91311
818-274-7673
Park on the street and call me and I'll let you into the driveway.

This is real short notice, so I don't expect anyone to really make it this weekend, but if you want to come out and see the work area (not optimal, but it will do) and chat about what you need done and what resources we have to do it, then you are welcome. Bring tools and parts if you have something that needs fixing. Basically, we will play this by ear for now. I will be working on my car on Sundays regardless if anyone else makes it out. If we just have one or two people show up, then organization will stay informal. If a bunch of people show up, then we will get a list going and pre-plan what jobs we will be doing.

Oh yeah, if you are pretty sure you will make it, it's a good idea to post here or PM me so I know to expect you. If I don't hear that you are coming, then don't be surprised if Im not there. But if I do know you are coming I will rearrange my schedule to be there.

Comments, questions, concerns?

LMK

J.

lumbercis

Let me see if anyone shows up next weekend since Ive given plenty of advance notice now. If very few people show up, and you really want to be a part of it, I could switch it to Saturdays. What is your availability like on the weekends?
J.

lumbercis

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are a couple confirmed guys from the mr2 boards coming out this weekend. Should be fun!

J.

lumbercis

Just thought I'd post up a quick after-action report on Sunday's fix-it meet.

I actually had forgotten that last Sunday was father's day, so I was suprised that anybody at all made it out. It ended up just being me and krazyracer (from mr2oc) and his buddy, but I still consider the first meet a big success! It started before he even showed up. I had to go to my local Kragen around the corner and while I was there a younger asian dude pulls up in a 6th gen celica. Turns out he works at the Kragen and he started telling me about how he had just got the car and how he really wanted to start a celica club in the valley. I grinned and told him he was a week late. Anyway, I referred him to the thread I started on 6gc. I got some interest from another 6gc member, so that makes 2 more likely celicas. Plus, this guy gives us a local hookup for maintenance parts.

A little later krazyracer shows up with his buddy in his cool-as-hell supercharged AW-11. Appreciate you coming out man! He and his bud installed his new stereo while I asked dumb questions. But it inspired me to go online and get a new antenna for my ST185. KR's friend has some pretty solid electrical skills. And me and KR both seem to be leaning toward getting some paint and body work done this summer. He says he has sprayed single stage paint before on a MKIII supra and gotten a good result, and wants to do his AW11 as well. (Now we just have to convince him not to get rid of that awesome Orange pearl mica for flat black :p ) Anyway, this is where we could use some extra labor people! Paint and body is alot of work and can use plenty of extra hands (unlike installing a stereo :wink: ) Since I may like to respray at least some parts of my car also, we may be able to share the costs of equipment and materials. Starting to see the benefits of working together now?!

Also, myself and KR are both pretty close to having our cars ready for some autocross fun, so we may also get a "track crew" out of this.

So all-in-all, even though it was just a few guys, I think things are already looking good for this. With just four guys, we are already building some resources:
1. Hookup at Toyota for OEM parts.
2. Hookup at the local Kragen
3. Wiring/electrical guy (with tools!)
4. Paint/body guy (who will trade for engine work!)

It's still early days, but you will get out of this what you put in, so bring some water, some tools, and some work ethic and we'll make it happen!
J.

lumbercis

Here's your Friday reminder: Meet at my house 11am Sunday!

This is getting pretty popular with the mr2 crowd i think. There should be a good handful of people this sunday.

And there will be beer! Im not kidding, someone's bringing it. Don't worry I'll regulate on that to keep the drinkers away from the power tools! 8)

Few things you could bring if you come out:
1. Portable radio
2. A pressure tester/ bike pump/ air compressor: I need to check my wastegate function and boost gauge function.
3. Timing light
4. As always, tools and parts for what you want fixed.

J.

lumbercis

BUMP!

Still on guys. Bring it!

If only a couple people show up and there's not much to do on the cars, we'll ride down to "Amazing Thai" and drink beer (you underage guys can flirt with the bar girl). Although I do have an oil pan gasket leak that Ive been putting off... :shoots:

J.

lumbercis

No for tomorrow, I already committed to be somewhere else. Im in a couple of other organizations that want my time, and couldn't justify not giving it to them for the response I was getting.

Unfortunately, Im not going to continue to do this in this format since I wasn't getting enough interest. However, Im not giving up! I was thinking of changing the format from a regular weekly meet to some "as needed" meets. My idea was that when people needed help or wanted some extra hands, they post their location and item to be fixed in this thread. Then we work out a date and location. Since it wouldn't be happening every week, people might be willing to travel farther (for instance, Im going to a fix-it meet in Corona organized on supraforums[solarinsocal: I can bring your FMIC to you then if you like]). We can have it at the requestors house if the car is immobile. My place is always an option. Also, someone voluteered their machine shop in Norwalk (from the mr2 boards I think) earlier, so if I wanted to say, install an exhaust as a one-time thing, it would be worth the drive to take advantage of the lift.

In other words, overall it's the exact same concept, but instead of a regular weekly thing, it will be an as-needed roving thing. First come, first served, so if you want help with something, post up!

I'd still like to do the paint and body work that myself and Krazyracer from the mr2 boards were talking about. That will happen as soon as we get the cash for the materials. I'd also like some help on my oil pan gasket since Ive never done one before so I haven't discovered the joys of FIPG yet.

So that's where it stands for now. Keep in mind that I have other important things I can be doing on Sundays, so if you want to plan a meet, do it a week or so in advance so I reserve the time.

Questions, comments, concerns????

J.

solarinsocal

That's pretty cool. I am actually on the Supraforums as well. I will be at P2R tomorrow in Corona from 2PM till about 4. Maybe we can hook up wherever you are having your meet at because it should be close by. Give me a holler tomorrow, I think I gave you my phone number. Do me a favor and bring the IC out and I will try to get it from you.

As far as the oil pan gasket, you should have been around. I had the AT in pieces for the last couple of weeks. Replaced a ton of parts including the oil pump which requires the removal of the oil pan. Not a big deal at all so don't even sweat it. :D

lumbercis

^The corona meet isn't for a while yet, but Ill bring the FMIC out to you when I go.

Yeah, Id love to help out with those intermediate maintenance jobs like oil pumps etc. just for the knowledge. Give me a call if you are doing any big jobs on the weekend and maybe I will drive out there.