Proposed Schedule, November 13 Vancouver Meet

binkie

OK, no-one has spoken up, so I'm spreading out some ideas for this Saturday:

1. Approx 12:00: Meet up at Iona Island, near Vancouver International Airport. This area should have some great photo ops (aircraft in backgraound, beach, etc. Getting to the airport should be easy for our US members, and Iona is right next to it (kind of).

2. After meeting up, go Karting, depending on interest. It's in Richmond, and should only be a 20 min drive from YVR.

3. Next, if daylight allows, we'll head over to the Ioco area (Coquitlam), for the Burrard Thermal Plant drive (this is where they do the hillclimb every fall)! It's near Belcarra, where there is decent park area, and Its a much nicer drive than anything in Richmond! I passed this by one other member already, and he felt the drive would be of interest, although it would be ~45 min each way from Richmond. But this is a celebration of the greatest automobile ever made, so we don't care about that, do we? I said greatest, not most reliable, J/K.

4. Go get some dinner somewhere, either in Coquitlam area, or we could head towards Burnaby or Vancouver to get departing visitors a little closer to home.

Weather or daylight permitting, we could swap 2 & 3 around, and have dinner back in Richmond again!

Everone, please speak up if you don't like this plan, we don't want our schedule preventing any attendance!

I would also like to hear if you DO like it!

Marc

binkie

I just found out I won't be able to make it to Richmond until 12:30-1:00, due to something I need to do in the morning downtown. However, it shouldn't hold up everyone else from meeting up.

I also did a little thinking about the number of daylight hours we will have, so maybe the order of things sould be:

Iona Island/YVR

Ioco Run

then dinner or Karting, whichever is more needed.

Lets hear some feedback on this, then!

Marc

Rick89GTS

Marc, I think that sounds great :D
A meeting time of 12:30 - 1:00 PM should be adequate for everyone to get there.
Because of Daylight Savings Time, the sun will start to drop at about 4:30 PM now. So it's good that you took that into account for taking pictures.

The only suggestion I have is an optional food / lunch break after the initial meet and greet. The US guys may be hungry after the drive up :wink: Otherwise, everything is shaping up fine.

1. Iona Island / Vancouver Internat'l. Airport: Meet and greet, take pics.

2. Optional lunch break?

3. Ioco Run

4. Dinner or Karting, whichever is more needed.

Zeus

sounds good to me!

im gonna go pick up my friend before dinner... provided i dont get lost hahaha i dont know when exactly ill cut out but i will figure that out later...

and im not sure if we will go gocarting

but everything looks good to me!

AWDios

just get addresses for everything since I"m not sure what time I'll be able3 to show up, and I"ll be in BC already and don't know my way around to well.

A

Anonymous

Adding lunch to the agenda sounds good, I'll need it by then, too. Rick, do you know a decent fast food location in Richmond, Vancouver or Burnaby that we can pencil in to help plan the route? We should try for somewhere with more than 1 option, and definately on the way towards Ioco. How about somewhere along Marine?

AWDios, you'll have problems catching up to us if you don't meet at one of the designated locations. I would recommend trying to meet with everyone at 12:30, otherwise later that night at dinner/karting. I'll get you my cel number later.

I think we should leave times for dinner and karting open, because we might not make good on them. We will be doing drop in karting, anyways.

Iona Island and Belcarra are not completely on Mapquest (pictured, but not selectable), so I will have to make my own maps. I will do this tonight or tomorrow.

Marc

AWDios

I don't know that my cell works in BC, so like I said, if you can get me best times and address's of when and where you'll be then I'll see what I can do.

3s_woob

i know this is last minute but i'm going to tear apart my car and hopefully have it ready by sat... :D going to fix my exhaust leak and timing belt. :twisted:

XoDuzZ

i just found out i have to work saturday.

i will try to work around this.... hopefully will act sick tomorow but no promises i will still be able to make it.

Spinkman

Hey guys. Im scheduled to work saturday now! WTF! but I'm going to try and get it covered. I start work at 3 so even if I can't I'll show up for the initial meet. my car is still missing a turnsignal :( and my cat's are sooo clogged. I think friday i'll head down to the junkers and see if they have anything fun....

do we have a final time and place we are going to be meeting saturday? I'm looking forward to this meet! hope to see you all soon.

binkie

Directions from Blaine to Iona Island:

3. Merge onto I-5 N via the ramp on the LEFT. 0.3 miles

4. I-5 N becomes PROVINCIAL ROUTE 99 N. 23.8 miles

5. Take EXIT 39 toward BRIDGEPORT RD/AIRPORT VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL. 0.3 miles

6. Turn LEFT onto BRIDGEPORT RD. 1.0 miles

7. Take the ramp toward MAIN TERMINAL/AEROGARE PRINCIPALE. 0.5 miles

8. Stay straight to go onto GRANT MCCONACHIE WAY. 0.2 miles

9. Turn RIGHT onto TEMPLETON ST. 1.5 miles

10. TEMPLETON ST becomes FERGUSON RD. 1.0 miles

Follow Ferguson Road until you meet the Park, or another Celica.

Attachments

• CAMD7XWW.gif
    CAMD7XWW.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 6
  • CAMD7XWW.gif
    CAMD7XWW.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 10

Rick89GTS

Anonymous":1fevw0a4 said:
Adding lunch to the agenda sounds good....do you know a decent fast food location in Richmond, Vancouver or Burnaby that we can pencil in to help plan the route?....How about somewhere along Marine?...

Marc,
There are a lot of fast food places along Marine Drive:
Wendy's, McDonald's, Denny's, Subway.
I'd like to go with Wendy's myself, quick and cheap and you can't beat the junior bacon cheeseburger :D

binkie

So far, what you see above is the plan.

12:30/1:00 Meet at Iona Beach Regional Park

Approx 2:00 Lunch along Marine Drive

Approx 3:00 Drive to Ioco (Belcarra Park, Burrard Thermal Plant Drive)

4:30 Return to Richmond

5:30 Karting at TBC or Dinner in Richmond area.

The instructions above will get you to Iona Beach Regional Park. The map does actually work, just no detail.

If anyone wants to punch up their own Mapquest route, just put "4000 Ferguson Rd, Richmond" as the destination. You'll just have to drive a little further down the road.

Rick, do you think these instructions are sufficient (you know the area)? Is there anyone

If anyone wants my cel number, just private mail me.

Marc

Rick89GTS

Marc, your directions are excellent.

The most important one is #9:
You will be heading WEST (to the airport) so the RIGHT turn onto Templeton St. is crucial. If you miss it, you'll end up at the airport and have to double back.

Otherwise, all looks good.
If anyone else has concerns, please post up ASAP!

Rick89GTS

AWDios":s6sp8s1l said:
PM me some cell numbers in case mine works.

I don't have a cell, so Marc will have to get back to you. Might be a good idea to get Ryan's cell number too cuz he comes up here a lot and knows his way around.

A

Anonymous

Here are instructions for the group drives. I have selected the EASIEST way to keep the froup together. We could probably save 10 min on other routes, but it would be a headache keeping everyone together.

Directions from Marine Drive (Approx. lunch location) to Belcarra Park:

1. Follow Marine Drive, eastbound

2. Turn left on Boundary (north)

3. Turn right on Hastings (east)

4. Hastings turns into Inlet drive, then Barnet Hwy

5. Turn left on St. Johns St. (east)

6. Turn left on Ioco Rd. (north)

7. Turn left (follow) onto Ico Rd. at IGA mall (west)

8. Turn right onto Sunnyside Rd. (north)

9. Sunnyside veers left, turns into "Bedwell Bay Rd"

10. Turn left @ 3-way stop, following "Belcarra Regional Park" signs.

Note: If everyone is sticking together (and we should be able to with this route, I will do a modified route through steps 5-7.

Directions From Belcarra back to Richmond (specifically TBC Karting for lack of better planning) If time allows, I will take us on a different route that this, but this will help if anyone gets lost. If we do dinner first, we will arrange different instructions.

1. Follow Bedwell Bay Rd. back to Ioco Rd.

2. Turn Right on Ioco Rd. (Rec centre on right)

3. Turn right on St. Johns

4. Turn right on Barnet Hwy.

5. Barnet turns to Hastings, follow into Vancouver

6. Turn left on Clarke (Knight St.)

7. Follow all the way to Richmond

8. Exit onto Bridgeport Rd, going East.

9. Turn left onto No.6 rd.

10. Turn right on Burrows.

11. Turn left onto Viceroy, TBC is on right hand side.

binkie

Is everyone cool with these instructions?

Don't forget to sign up on the attendance list, or we may leave without you!

Looks like low chance of rain in the morning, clearing up in the afternoon!

Marc