205 Ecu Conversion

coyoteboy

Steve - isnt that a simple case of lobbing a resistor in place of it? a code change to remove that seems a little drastic lol.

**BETSY**

J- Oh if it were only that simple!
No one.. has got over the code 54 on a car with out the stock st205 electrics in place as far as i know.

been there done that ;)

rev3 ECU was sooo much easier

coyoteboy

Rev 3? you mean Gen 3? Rev 3 is the 205 engine, gen 3 is the 165 car :)

I'm almost certain people on the OC had cured it? It cant exactly be hard - all you have to do is match the elec specs of the pump while knowing the wiring, its not an intelligent feedback type system.

**BETSY**

Rev 3+ MR2 ecu
Gen 1 engine= st165
Gen 2 engine= st185
Gen 3 Engine= st205

:)

I use a st165 chassis and loom to run a Gen 2 Engine which in turn is controlled by a MR2 Rev3 ECU system.

The st205 ECU can not be fooled by running resistors as people have shown in various diagrams, i have tried several different configurations, along with a few others on here.

If you convert a st205 to run a FMIC then there are other systems in place which allow the 'Resistors' to do there thing.

coyoteboy

**BETSY**":329zl0ah said:
Rev 3+ MR2 ecu
Gen 1 engine= st165
Gen 2 engine= st185
Gen 3 Engine= st205

:)

"gen" is usually referring to the body type, of which the 205 was a gen 6 (new ugly slow ones are gen 7). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celica) Just clearing up confusion.
Suggesting Gens for the engine is a bad idea, as there were revisions *within* each body style as you know - different compression ratios etc across the 5th gen range despite being essentially the same engines from the same castings. Either way I know what you mean :)

The st205 ECU can not be fooled by running resistors as people have shown in various diagrams, i have tried several different configurations, along with a few others on here.
If you convert a st205 to run a FMIC then there are other systems in place which allow the 'Resistors' to do there thing.

Maybe im getting confused with the CS ecu which im fairly certain can, but im 99% certain ive *seen* a 205 with the pump removed by the local goon. What are you on about "other systems in place"?

**BETSY**

A st205 car can be converted to run a FMIC as shown on kris' web site and get over the code54.
This im lead to believe works fine.
There are obviously 'Other' systems in place, on the st205, by means of relays etc that allow the 'resistor' mods to work.

Myself and others have tried running a st205 ecu on their cars along with the resistors to no avail :-(
This leads me to believe the other wiring, relays etc are needed.
The Charge cooler is run by the st205 ecu where as the CS and st165 have a seperate ecu/relay box.

This is the very reason why i used the Rev3 MR2 ecu.

coyoteboy

Crack open the wiring diagrams and compare - should be fairly simple to see the differences and replicate them with some spare wire. Seems slightly odd to run a 205/mr2 ecu on a 185 engine purely because they're mapped for a totally different head, cam ,turbo and intake setup which will make BIG differences to the VE tables required. Certainly slight hardware tweaks knock the MS out of tune noticably in certain driving conditions, cant imagine how much a change of head would require a remap!

Anyway, each to his own :)

**BETSY**

J, I had my car on the rollers with the set-up i speak of and made 333BHP and 321 Ib/Ft torque.
this was at just under 1.1bar of boost and timing set to 10' BTDC.

I have a apexi power FC ready to go in and be mapped.
The main reason to do the conversion was to enable the use of the plug and play PFC as well as get rid of the AFM and use the next size injectors.

I use the st205 inlet camshaft.
If you do some digging there is a fair amount of info saying the st185 head design isn't as bad as many think ;)

imo the power figures speak for themselves as does the 'Butt' dyno :)

coyoteboy

Hell yeah im not disagreeing with you there - the power figures (or more impressively IMO the torque figure!) speaks for itself. I was just saying id be erm...concerned, thats all. If i could get that sort of power from mine I'd be a happy man! Must try on the rollers at some point but I seem to massively knock-limited for some reason. At least partly because of the gay topmount ive not managed to get rid of yet!

You do have most of the important parts of the 205 setup in there - did the cam make much difference? Did you have to change many shims or was it a complete shim/bucket swap too?

Wolf_Tm250

**BETSY**":qfczt5oo said:
A st205 car can be converted to run a FMIC as shown on kris' web site and get over the code54.
This im lead to believe works fine.
There are obviously 'Other' systems in place, on the st205, by means of relays etc that allow the 'resistor' mods to work.

+1

when I had stock ECU on my ST205 with FMIC and resistor in place, I got no 54 error code.

But exactly now, I made a 3SGTE Gen3 swap on a friend's ST202, we mount ST205 engine, ecu, engine loom, but NOT the 2nd engine vane loom ( the rightish ), and we are getting 54 error code even with ressistor pack and all the relais we had to have according to the wires map...

**BETSY**

Hi mate, its a 165 chassis and loom running a st185 engine which is controlled by an mr2 rev3 ecu.

333bhp 321 Ib/ft just under 1.1 bar of boost.

Wolf_Tm250

Hi Steve!

Sorry... I didn't understand...
Are you running a Power fc rev3 mr2 ecu (245 bhp) on a rev2 3sgte??
Did you have to do any mod to wires or connectors??

**BETSY**

Hi Wolf, No problem.

at the moment I'm running a Toyota stock MR2 Rev3 ecu.

I made up a plug and play patch lead to enable the rev3 ecu to plug straight into my st165 loom, everything can be reversed to run a st165 should i ever need to!?

reason for running the mr2 ecu at the moment is it enables me to simply plug in my power FC and get it mapped, very soon i hope!

ecucloseup.jpg

ecu.jpg

I made a plate up to install the MAT sensor in the cold start injector location.
sensor001.jpg

Wolf_Tm250

WOW Steve, you made a very very good job !!!

So I think you can give me a good advice on my issue...

as I told, on a friend ST202 where we swapped a 3SGTE 3rd gen, I'm getting 54 error code, even with resistor pack and relais, because we hadn't the engine vane loom, but only the engine loom...

Given that Power fc for ST205 is no more available, do you think we could use Power fc for MR2 3SGTE 3rd gen ?

I know it has electric steering control and TRC... are the connectors the same of the ST205 ?

Thanks !

**BETSY**

Hi,

The ecu connectors are the same for the st205 and mr2 so i can't see it being a problem.

iirc it should plug in with out having to swap any pins around, bewteen the celica and mr2.

You will need to have some way of controling the charge cooler pump though, maybe a 12v ignition feed direct to the pump?

Wolf_Tm250

**BETSY**":3vtn35xf said:
Hi,

The ecu connectors are the same for the st205 and mr2 so i can't see it being a problem.

iirc it should plug in with out having to swap any pins around, bewteen the celica and mr2.

Ok, thanks !

You will need to have some way of controling the charge cooler pump though, maybe a 12v ignition feed direct to the pump?

Yes, it's already in... :wink:

Ciao !

Wolf_Tm250

**BETSY**":23bv5v7j said:
Hi,

Hi Mate...

just a note...

PFC for MR2 Turbo 3sgte 3rd gen arrived...

connectors are equal... BUT the engine goes on 3 cylinders...

Had a look on the connectors, and everything seems to be in the correct place/ no wires to swap...

Have you got any idea about this issue ??

alltrac.net

Note:

For ST165/205 conversion, if you use the JDM intake manifold, it has the bung in the side (where the EGR would normally be) for the intake temperature sensor. The JDM harness also has a connector for it.

Just a tidbit.