How to 400 awhp

Hotrodhendrix

I know this doesnt go along with the thread but i got another question. When I got the car it had a bad stumbling problem so I switched out the afm's and bam problem solved. My intake lines have a fairly large amount of oil in them. What could this be?? Bad turbo... :cry:

Simba

Hotrodhendrix":37dwp7dj said:
I know this doesnt go along with the thread but i got another question. When I got the car it had a bad stumbling problem so I switched out the afm's and bam problem solved. My intake lines have a fairly large amount of oil in them. What could this be?? Bad turbo... :cry:

Probably either the PCV (unless you have a catch can) or the turbo compressor oil seal.

If the turbo is a rebuild, I'd put money on it being the seal.

Hotrodhendrix

I dont think it has been rebuilt yet. It will probably need it tho. I will check that out when i rip her heart out this weekend. Its time for the engine swap.

(No catch can as of right now)

darthripley

its normal to have some oil without a catch can, but if there's a lot then the seals on the turbo are toast & consider it rebuild time.

Hotrodhendrix

Thats not a big deal. I figured this into my rebuild. Plan for the worst hope for the best. Anyways anyone know of a good rebuild kit for the td06 20g?

toayoztan

Hotrodhendrix":1qtmi4uz said:
Thats not a big deal. I figured this into my rebuild. Plan for the worst hope for the best. Anyways anyone know of a good rebuild kit for the td06 20g?

A good rebuild kit would be to get a different turbo :D Jk, jk!

I don't recommend you buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. Call around and have a reputable shop rebuild the turbo for you.

Also, you should check to see if you have oil in your AFM. Depending on severity, if you have oil seals going out then you'll probably have oil residue in the AFM.

Bryan

Hotrodhendrix

I will check tonight. I have only started it a few times sence I replaced the afm. Thats what clogged the last one so it must be that. Does ats rebuild turbos?? 8)

THere only 45 min away!

darthripley

i'd recommend Majestic Turbo in Waco to do the rebuild.
they did a great job with ours & did everything just as we wanted it.

Hotrodhendrix

Ok I picked up an intercooler yesterday off of craigslist. Its in really good shape and looks like it will fit perfect behind my CS front bumper. Anyways... It has 3" inlets and outlets (outer).. Is this a good or bad thing for my power goals? :shrug:

Also the owner didnt know what brand it was either. He picked it up off of craigslist also but was to big for his honduuuu. :lol:
Is there a usual place they place the brand name?? I looked around the outside and couldnt find anything.

tjdouble07

theUNYTEDone":3hdetjm0 said:
is there a thread confirming that the trac dyno's just about similarly in fwd mode? i caught no wind of that whatsoever...very interesting.

CodingParadox":3hdetjm0 said:
Kris Osheim was dynoing some guy's 500awhp GT35 stroker and found only a very small difference between 4WD and 2WD mode. I'm not sure if it's documented anywhere. I'll try to remember to ask him about it next time I talk to him.

Man, I need to read the boards more often... :doh:

Yeh, Kris and I only saw a 2-3% difference in measured hp between FW mode and AWD mode with back to back dyno runs.

I went a little deeper into discussion on this topic after I came back to Utah, did a few more mods on the car, and got it redynoed here in Utah.

Basically with STD correction, when I dyno'd in Oregon on 29 psi, I made 528 WHP. After some head porting and a tubular exhaust manifold, on the same boost levels I saw 534 WHP in FW mode. Here's my dyno day thread where I went into further discussion on the topic.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23395

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed; I'm sometimes not quite up to speed on topic discussions, and haven't fully read this topic yet... :oops:

lumbercis

3" inlets and outlets are fine, yor biggest problem will be fitting 3" piping in the engine bay. I have 2.5" and it's pretty cramped, but people have done it.

You could run 2.5' piping, but then you won't see any flow benefit from having the big 3" in/outlets. I'd try to get 3" pipes in there somehow. Clocking the turbo down may help.

J.

Hotrodhendrix

OBX huh. not bad for 80bucks. 8)

I have a friend here that makes mendrel bent custom intercooler pipes that hopefully will help me with mine... Hes got one bad ass VR4.

Anyways. What about the throttle body? What should I use to connect to that? Also I have a RC throttle body I will be using. What are the benefits of this if any? :shrug:

lumbercis

If you are going to use 3" pipes, you should really upgrade to maybe a Q45 or other 3" Throttle body as well. Or again, you will lose all the benefits of the big 3" piping and intercooler. The parts really need to work as a system. 2.5' would have been fine, as long as the whole system was 2.5". You basically don't want to have any transitions in the system, and if you do, you want them all to be from smaller to larger, not larger to smaller. It's not to say it won't work, and you could use the smaller TB temporarily, but you would eventually want to even out the diameters if you want your intake system to be functioning optimally.

If you want to know the whys and wherefores look up posts by RickyB on mr2oc about intercooler piping.

BTW, I'll buy your RC throttle body. :smokes:

J.

tjdouble07

I run 2.5" piping with an IC with 3" inlet and outlets, and have had good results. I just use 3" to 2.5" 90 degree silicone couplers on the end tanks. Also, if you need, I think I have a TB adapter to I believe 2.5", just sitting around. Let me know if you (or anyone for that matter) want it.

tjdouble07

lumbercis":3eiwx4c6 said:
^I didn't say it wouldnt work, I said it wasn't optimal. But we are talking in the realm of less than 10hp.

J.

That's cool man, no problems. :) I wasn't saying you were wrong. I'm just stating my personal experience and results. When I changed over my IC from a 12"x24"x3" tube and fin with 2.5" end tanks to a 12"x24"x4" bar and plate with 3" end tanks (thanks to the recommendation of ATSAaron), I noticed several positive benefits, to include faster turbo spool, and more consistent air temps. All in all, I noticed no negative effects.