Post your pictures of your aftermarket, or custom exhuast.

SuperRunner

here is what I have so far. Did this on my 1 hour lunch break. Had to use my camra phone and the pictures are somewhat lousy.

This is an ST165 2 1/2 coming off the turbo flange, and I will have a 1 1/2 coming from the wastgate. When it joins up, the exhaust goes to a 3".

I will get the cat and muffler probably on thursday.

I looks af if my car has 2 mufflers. One before the rear axle, and one after.

If I put the cat where the first muffler is, would that be too far back to get hot enough, or do I need to somehow fit the muffler a litte closer to the engine?

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

exhaust3.jpg

alltracman78

Why not put it right where the pipe ends? The closer it is to the turbo the faster it will heat up. Also that's where the Aussie exhaust has it, and I beleive that's where the 2nd cat is on the stock system.

saved_1992

dont forget the flex pipe, the cat should go after the flex pipe this is a pic of an aussie mid pipe no cat, and a 185 down pipe
205intercooleron1650012.jpg

205intercooleron165002.jpg

SuperRunner

my 88 doesn't have a second cat. Just the one right off the turbo.

There was the flex pipe right after the crossmemeber.

Actually, I have run many exhuausts on my off-road trucks(lots of flexing), and never had a problem. Although that was an inline engine.

Wonder if the transverse needs it more.

Anyway, I decided to go 3" from the turbo. Will take a pic at lunch.

alltracman78

A flex pipe is alot more important in a transaxlially [I think transverse is front to back, but I could be wrong]. The engine has alot more flex. I really wouldn't suggest running a exhaust without it. Unless you're only running it like 2ft.

*actually, I'm pretty sure I was wrong. Our engines should be transverse. :| *

AWDios

I've been running without a flex pipe for about 2 years now, I haven't had any problems, what kinds of problems should I look out for?

alltracman78

AWDios":25xq2jr0 said:
I've been running without a flex pipe for about 2 years now, I haven't had any problems, what kinds of problems should I look out for?

You notice how when you open rev the engine it trys to flex/spin?
Well, your exhaust is attached to your engine, but it's also attached to the chassis of the car. So when the engine flexes, there's no way for the exhaust to [easily] move with it. That's where the flex pipe comes in. It allows the exhaust to "flex" with the engine [the exhaust hangers don't allow it to move enough, or in the right direction]. If it can't, it creates stress on the piping, and it will eventually break/distort.
In a rwd car the engine doesn't flex the same direction, so it isn't as much of a problem [even tho it's still used].