how to upgrade 165 turbo/ic to 2 gen turbo/205ic ** UPDATED*

88st165

^bump for the guy who started it all... :notworthy:

anyway, hows everyones twin entry swap running?

mine is running great other than a rattling issue i have to track down but other than that is good. i cant wait to get the ct27 back from ats and see how it feels.

d1alltrac

88st165":1pw9fgd4 said:

mine is running great other than a rattling issue i have to track down but other than that is good. i cant wait to get the ct27 back from ats and see how it feels.

My white one is running great, other then a couple of little things non-turbo related.

My red one (used to be saved_1992's, its the car he did the swap on when he did this write-up) has a large hole in the block. :doh: It'll be a while til I have the money for the planned 3rd gen swap. :|

88st165

^Well its good to hear one is running.

So that makes 3 twin entry swap st165s accounted for since you have two of them!

I wonder how many other swaps are running around or should i dare to say "sitting around" :shrug:

saved_1992

88st165":23lhkmk4 said:

before you put on the ct27 consider installing some arp rod bolts (weak link in the 165) i think that is what broke on my old red 165 and put a hole in the block

saved_1992

yep, i would also check the bearings to make sure they are in good shape, using the ct27 you will be putting alot more strain on these

check with d1alltrac for the pics of the rod that went through the block, if i remember the bolt was missing and the rod was completely broken.

88st165

ok i just checked the bearing and they look great.... my question was is there a special tool to press the rod bearings out and press the arp bolts in or would i have to remove the pistons and take them to a machine shop?

wakkjobb

My quick two cents:
For the metric threaded rod, I got a section of 3/8" plain steel rod from Home Depot and made my own studs. Works good so far...

Dan

All-Trac Dude08

88st165":26ldwle2 said:
well i finally finished after gathering all the parts and having a day off to finish up all loose ends.... sorry for so many pics...

thats all i got, sorry for so many pics... i havent had a chance to drive it yet to see how well the twin entry works or made a difference... ill report back when i get a chance.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

One quick question about the little hose that goes in the turbo next to upper radiator hose. In my car, seems the previous owner blocked that hose and didn't hook it up to the turbo, should I hook it back up? or should I just leave it how it is?

88st165

All-Trac Dude08":1juhjpxx said:
88st165":1juhjpxx said:
well i finally finished after gathering all the parts and having a day off to finish up all loose ends.... sorry for so many pics...

thats all i got, sorry for so many pics... i havent had a chance to drive it yet to see how well the twin entry works or made a difference... ill report back when i get a chance.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

One quick question about the little hose that goes in the turbo next to upper radiator hose. In my car, seems the previous owner blocked that hose and didn't hook it up to the turbo, should I hook it back up? or should I just leave it how it is?

Whoa sorry I havent been keeping up with this post. Im sure you have figured it out by now but ya I would hook up the water lines.

All-Trac Dude08

lol it's ok. When I posted that question I didn't know anything about my car, but after having to replace the turbo, I found out that the previous owner had done the twin-entry swap already, so I'm guessing that hose isn't needed.

88st165

I run the water lines with my twin entry swap. If you dont push the turbo that hard then you will be fine w/o using them but just remember that the turbo was designed to be water cooled.

All-Trac Dude08

88st165":1kakyu2p said:
I run the water lines with my twin entry swap. If you dont push the turbo that hard then you will be fine w/o using them but just remember that the turbo was designed to be water cooled.

Well, I'm running the st185 water lines, so those feed my turbo some coolant.