car bogs when driving cold?

camry90

when i start up my car in the morning, let it iddle for 1 min and then slowly driving it down my street and it lack of power, act like boost lag, bogging severely....but as soon as the temp. gauge is at normal temp, it's alright.....does your 185 do that? everything is stock on my car. could it be 02 sensor that is still cold?

GT4RC

me either. This winter i want to replace all my oem vacuum lines with silicone, as well as plugs and wires. distributor was replaced when i got it.

Then I'll go from there if it still does it..

ST185pinjo

when i start up my car in the morning, let it iddle for 1 min and then slowly driving it down my street and it lack of power, act like boost lag, bogging severely....but as soon as the temp. gauge is at normal temp, it's alright.....does your 185 do that? everything is stock on my car. could it be 02 sensor that is still cold?

Is this only just, or always?(maybe I misunderstood the question) It is true that the ST185 doesn't like to wake up and go, it needs a warmup. With the new SM4 it is much better. May be the cold O2 sensor.

muneo

I have a few leads to this morning boggin issue...

-The water temp sensors on the block maybe malfunctioning or the wires to it might be loose. When I fixed this problem, the bogging went away...for a while...

-The problem seems to get worse the more mileage I put on my oil and it tends to go away after a fresh oil change

-The problem gets worse if your low on oil.

-Cold start injector might not be working properly if at all. Maybe the water temp sensor has something to do with this?

-Check you distributor cap for oil. Oil could be building up overnight on the lowest contact and messing with the spark. You need to replace the distributor shaft seals.

Thats all I got for now. Try addressign these things and let me know if they solve your problem....

lagos

i had to deal with this issue for a long time, until i finally figured it out. when this hesitation happens, your car is actually not getting enough fuel, and gets dangerously lean. if you have a wideband, you can see this in action.

the problem is with the 17yr old afm that most of us have on these cars.
sometimes, you can help fix the issue, by playing around with the idle adjustment screw on the afm. but this is just a work around for a faulty unit. the only real way to fix it would be to replace the afm with a brand new one. if you buy a used one, it will probably have the same issue.

sims

I was under the impression this was a common issue of the 3SGTE? anyone I know with one reports the same thing.

Rick89GTS

sims":1fui69s6 said:
I was under the impression this was a common issue of the 3SGTE? anyone I know with one reports the same thing.
Same issue with my '88 ST165.
I know of one fellow who put the 89 ECU into his 88 AllTrac and he thought it performed better. Supposedly Toyota modified the 89 ECU to alleviate this problem. But if this was the case, wouldn't the 90-93s be free of that problem?

Link:
http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

etantshi

Rick89GTS":3044pvia said:
sims":3044pvia said:
Same issue with my '88 ST165.
I know of one fellow who put the 89 ECU into his 88 AllTrac and he thought it performed better. Supposedly Toyota modified the 89 ECU to alleviate this problem. But if this was the case, wouldn't the 90-93s be free of that problem?

Link:
http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Maybe, but the AFM/ECU "relationship" is different on the st165 compared to the st185. Since it was designed differently, it is possible that they thought they had redesigned the problem into oblivion when in fact it may not be the case.

TRDcelica90

I have this prob.. glad its not just me.. i had it real bad. changed my fuel filter nd seemed to help, but still there.. i agree with lean fuel mixture bcoz the fuel filter helped.. i really hate the AFM. i also turned up that adjustment screw.. but u dont really wanna play with it..

fhalperformance

do you have a boost gauge? the stock computer shouldnt let the car enter boost when the engine is cold if i remember correctly. havent had a stock computer for a long time.

tubasteve

i fixed my probelm by going to the 3rd gen mr2 ecu/st205 ecu. i had it bad when it was cold mornings, like wouldnt get out of the way of its shadow. i just realized it doesnt do it sence the map only system. i had no air leaks, used my "smoker" and nothing showed up. just an idea, the block is also unable to transfur heat as well as the ali. blocks of like hondas..just a thought id throw out there.