Turboing a 5S-FE question

D_oPsycho

Hey, I'm considering turbocharging my Celica GT 5S-FE, and I've heard both good and bad sides of it, looking for more opinions. On one side I've heard that it's very risky, may vary from block to block, but could run the risk of throwing somthing out the hood or blowing a cylinder wall out, and then I've heard there arent really any issues, what's the general thought around here?

GMan

Since AT.net owners cars already came with 3SGTE's not many
owner have turbo'd a 5SFE. A few FF owners have.

other Toyota sites have...

All the answers are on the MR2 owners club.
It has been discussed at L E N G T H .

JDM / J-Spec / Hybrid MKIIs
http://www.mr2oc.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Also from the 6th gen net site.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27939

pressure2,
http://www.6gc.net/index.php?action=members&itu=190aka Manny has done the work. He is on AT.net as well if
you want to seek more info from him directly.

Regards;

bloodMoney

Generally, the rule for turboing a 5s is to stick with the stock boost... Just as with any other motor, if you push it too hard, it will break. Since the 5S was not designed for forced induction, naturally it is more fragile than the 3S. There are engine rebuild kits available that come with specially designed pistons better suited to handle the boost. The biggest problem that we 5S owners have when turboing up is the poor head flow. :shoots: Remember this motor was built as a grocery getter motor for a sports car... kinda like the V6 version of a trans-am or something similiar.

-bloodMoney

chickenmoo04

The kit is about $2200 and the motor will only be able to hold 300 HP. The 5sfe motor is the economical motor. You won't be able to go over 8 or 9 lbs of boost. The cheaper way is to do a swap ( at least to me) you'll be able to get more power whenever you are ready and have the dough!! :wink: But it's up to you. You have to do quite a bit to reach that 300 hp mark though.

celicaGTS_T

Since we are talking about turbo-ing a 5S, does anyone know how well a 2002 WRX turbo flows, and would it be a good substitute for a turbo set-up?

Red Rabbit

when he was referring to the flow i believe that he was referring to the cylinder head of the 5sfe. The 5sfe head dont work for shit which is why people tend to opt for a 3sghte swap because you end up making about the same amount of power but a lot more reliably for the same price. Also when you opt for a 3sgte you have a higher rev limit than a 5sfe so you can make more power longer. In retrospect to get 300hp out of a turbo 5sfe you are talking a lot of money like clutch, headgasket, porting, pistons and the list just goes on and on as for the 3sgte its a simple matter of and intake, exhaust, boost controller and fcd (as well as the typical supporting mods of course) to hit that mark or close to it tho if you were to swap a 3sgte it would be a good idea to go ahead and throw a clutch and mhg and arp studs at it for more peace of mind. When it comes down to it you can turbo a 5sfe but reliability isnt a plus for it which is why people tend to go for a 3sgte for many reasons. Everytime i consider it and look at the facts i am remineded why i am just saving my money to get the motor set for my st165 cuz you have the quick way and then you have the reliable way. When it comes down to it everything is about how much you really want to spend on the car.

maxxhavoc

chickenmoo04":2tqcnofb said:
The kit is about $2200 and the motor will only be able to hold 300 HP. The 5sfe motor is the economical motor. You won't be able to go over 8 or 9 lbs of boost. The cheaper way is to do a swap ( at least to me) you'll be able to get more power whenever you are ready and have the dough!! :wink: But it's up to you. You have to do quite a bit to reach that 300 hp mark though.

$2200? Wow, I guess I just don't understand some things.

$2200 will get you a decent Z or MKIII to sit beside your Celica. 300hp doesn't reach half of either these engine's potential, and your pocketbook is the limit. My '84 Turbo Z is running close to 280 HP at the crank and I don't even need an intercooler on it yet. That alone should be good for another safe 15HP. You also get RWD, and MUCH better handling.

Of course, a project Alltrac isn't that much more and you get AWD.

So why do people buy these kits?

concealer404

There's no point in getting a full kit to turbo a 5sfe.

Just do a junkyard setup, and then start saving up for when it blows.

Good luck with 300hp.....

TomsST185

wow i thought about turboing my 5s but after reading all this im not going to just need to save for a 3sgte. so what is some things i need to buy in order to install a 3sgte in my 91 gts.

Red Rabbit

I was wonderin when pressure was goin to post on this. I remember reading his write up when he did his car, sweetest turbo 5sfe i have ever seen.

pokemeintheeye

TomsST185":3hc8rf0p said:
wow i thought about turboing my 5s but after reading all this im not going to just need to save for a 3sgte. so what is some things i need to buy in order to install a 3sgte in my 91 gts.

Just buy my car and you have everything you need to swap over to your car.