had a run with an S2000

theUNYTEDone

well well well...i must say it was very interesting. here's the story:

i'm on my way home from work, and after turning off of the highway going towards my home, i see bright ass white lights zoom up behind me. i think to myself "what a bitch, lets see who he is", and its a kid a little older than i, in an s2000, paper plates.

he burbles past me as he gives me a "pfff, so lame" kind of look. with me being the way i am, i don't take that kinda crap without doing anything, so i dropped it to second (only going about 30) and make it so my blow off valve goes off right next to his head (his top was down) :lol:

after that, he drops it into first....FIRST! his motor was louder than my exhaust in 3rd gear...so i dropped it into second, since i didn't want to break my car, and hold up my pointer finger implying me asking "one time?" so he nods his head, i honk once, then he honks once...then honks about 4 more times (idk wtf was up with that), and he stomps it...very not how i envision things were going to be (i figured it'd be fair)

anyway, i actually had the jump on him after figuring that things were underway, i had him from 2nd-4th, gained about 2-3 cars on him...but i think that i left 3rd a little too early as he passed me, then cut me off REALLY bad (what the hell happened to the good ole' hazards?)...guess his VTEC kicked in, yo!

all in all, i'd say it was a good race. i can't rev to 8,000+rpm (yet), so i guess it was inevitable that he took me eventually...

what are your takes on this endeavor? :smokes:

and in the words of whoever said it first: "if a cop is reading this, the aforementioned is entirely fiction."

bloodMoney

Great story Nigel! Its stories like this that make me wish that I had the money to get Ellie back on the road...

All I have around me are 16 year olds in thier new s2000's that mommy and daddy bought for them... Damn spoiled Park Ridge kids... I can't wait to get out there and teach them that a car that was made 17 years ago can hang.

~bloodMoney

88st165

wow i didnt think those cars would have more topend.... why do i always hear that those cars arent that fast? i have never raced one yet or driven in one so i dont know.

Conan

hmmm... what did you expect? :)
You don't have to posess Loeb-like skills to do WOT in a straight, so it's a car vs car race. Sure, there are things like brake-torque and sh*t, but in a common 3... 2... 1... pull! situation, the S2000 is pretty fast. Don't let that 200 Nm figure fool you, 200+ HP at the wheels and less weight is what matters more in a drag race.
Anyway, I got passed by an S2000 on a straight during some track event while doing ~90 mph in 4th so it's not like they don't have the go... neither my car is fast :D

toayoztan

88st165":jycucmfb said:
wow i didnt think those cars would have more topend.... why do i always hear that those cars arent that fast? i have never raced one yet or driven in one so i dont know.

You actually have it backwards. Those cars DO have the topend, but they aren't really quick down low (I know from 3rd hand experience too, my friend had one). Though we like to make fun of them, the VTEC on it does help out quite a bit up there, afterall it's a honda built for the top. Depending on the year, they rev to 8-9k and it does seem like forever before they have to shift.

They can be pretty quick though, my friend had one with a Comptech Supercharger, fmic, bov, and 9psi pulley. It hauled ass, i'll tell you that. I think that's not too bad you hung with him a bit like that. At about what speed before he passed you?

Bryan

Sifu

It's no surprise you jumped over him at the start but once he starts hitting his proper RPM's and power range (regardless of vtec or not) it will pass you.

They are generally slower in the lower end but that's due to their tq. Once he reaches his higher hp then that's when it'll start to sing.

I still wish they had more tq on them. Trying to keep the s2000 in it's amphetamine zone can be tricky since you've got to keep her revving pretty hard.

theUNYTEDone

yeah...i guess i wasn't TOO surprised that i got passed. it was exciting though (1st "real" race, aka i didn't know the guy) :oops:

we dropped off at around 65mph ish...we were in an empty 25mph zone that i know pretty well, and i'd lost already and knew i wasn't about to gain on him in the high end.

i must say, though...my car felt faster than usual when i ran with him. :evil: the ghost within the machine!!! 8)

gpmarzan

Hey Nigel, I forgot what your mods are. Ive been wondering about the s2000. A friend of mine back at my college owns one and we never really get the chance to do some fun runs. Great job owning him in the low gears/speed. :smokes:

theUNYTEDone

current mods (performance) are:

-3" turbo-back exhaust (no cats)
-BayAreaAT FMiC 2.5" pipes
-straight intake
-TWM shifter

and honestly, that's about all as far as go-fast bits go... :shrug:

d1alltrac

I know all too well that a stock s2k is faster than a bolt-on alltrac, and my brother insists on reminding me everytime we happen to be driving around together. :doh:

TexasAlltrac

I have driven my friends S2000 on track days here in Tx on more than one occassion. He has spent some money on the car: full suspension, intake, exhaust, wheels and slicks. He says he keeps the motor internals stock for SCCA.

Performance wise, it is about like a pre-2006 Honda Civic Vtec below 6000RPM, but above that it goes like a scalded ape. The S2000 is not designed for the quartermile, but is built for road-course upon which it it is simply amazing.

edv-tek

current mods (performance) are:

-3" turbo-back exhaust (no cats)
-BayAreaAT FMiC 2.5" pipes
-straight intake
-TWM shifter
What did you expect.. Your car might be good for guessing 230 WHP if well tuned. But I have seen some disappointing fiqures from the dyno's with the S2000. But I feel that your car modifications make your car about even w/ the s2000. And the S2000 is going to thrive in the high revs. But if you raced your car in a way it was intended to be raced the s2000 would not stand a chance.

FastTrac

Finally Nigel I get on here and read about your adventures. Lol But honestly when I first got my car, I was headed home on the interstate and I passed the s2000, I didnt know what it was at all being that late at night. But he tried to keep up with me, and yes we were on a slight hill (well I'm from the country so slight to me is probably huge to you guys) but I pulled on him, and just kept going. I did happen to pop it down to 3rd if I remember correctly.
Good job Nigel, I'm gonna have to see your car some time! :wink:

etantshi

Nice. I've kept up with one before. A long time ago my friend was racing an audi something or other and I was pretty much stock. I was the vid car.

I have a 01 s2k and my st165 walks all over it. the Honda's a fast for Honda vs Honda that's bout it. fun canyon cars though.

theUNYTEDone

ah, yes i do. i also was only at 10lbs back then too, not the 13 i have now.

ive seen him around my town quite a few times since then, and he hasn't tried havin another go. :shrug: