How in the !@#$ do you put the gearbox back on?

etantshi

Corey Darling":a55k943i said:
I'm a bit confused on what needs to be removed to allow the engine to sit on its cam cover side.

What is it resting on exactly?

Thanks

Corey

The motor mount and bracket. You can rest it on the crank pulley and a block of wood.

Corey

Great, thanks :)

Curious, whats this power steering gear i keep hearing about people breaking if they arnt carefull??

Sifu

Corey Darling":lct3910x said:
I'm a bit confused on what needs to be removed to allow the engine to sit on its cam cover side.

What is it resting on exactly?

Thanks

Corey
It's resting on the cam cover. Just put some carpet on the ground so it doesn't get damaged. The only thing that I would remove is the powersteering air bypass/idle valve. It is hooked up to the powersteering pump and made of cheap plastic. This POS is prone to breaking and costs like $80 from Toyota. It takes like 10sec. to remove.

I've finally gotten the green from KO. My kit is finally finished. When it comes to installing everything I will do a writeup on installing those bits and pieces. It's not hard but time consuming...

Corey

Awesome :) writeups are good :)

Dont suppose you have a picuture of the part your supposed to remove?

Just because im a noob, Cam cover is the Grey plastic timing belt cover?

Im assuming that the pullies that sit outside of these two covers should be removed :shrug: lol

Thanks again guys

corey

Sifu

Corey Darling":2azxrwbi said:
Awesome :) writeups are good :)

Dont suppose you have a picuture of the part your supposed to remove?

Thanks again guys

corey
I can't find the picture but it's connected to the powersteering pump. It's hard to spot until you get the engine out or you're really under the car. It looks like a bolt but has two bungs coming out (connected to hoses). The online BGB is no longer there so I can't find a pic.

**EDIT**
OK NM. I found it...
psbpv.jpg

Simba

I wasn't especially happy about putting mine on the pully and cam cover alone, given that it's a lot of weight spread over mostly easily broken plastic. I just put the lower part of the engine mount back on and rested it on that and a chunk of 2x4 under the crank pully.

Corey Darling":ar6hr05h said:
Curious, whats this power steering gear i keep hearing about people breaking if they arnt carefull??

It's the idle up vacuum valve. Screws into the bottom of the PS pump. It's around $80 and very easy to break, so it's a good idea to pull it. Handy way to drain the PS system, too.

You'll want to yank the passenger side CV shaft first, though, else it's nearly impossible to get to. Also wear safety glasses. PS fluid in the face sucks.

Corey

Thanks for the tips , makes sense now :)

To take the tranny off, is it a good idea to try the same approach with the engine on its side? and use the hoist to take the tranny weight? or keep the engine up right?

thanks

corey

GT4RC

How much did that clutch set ya back?

When you get to beat on it a bit, let us know how you like it, and whether or not its total overkill for 300hp.

I'm gonna need a new clutch in the new year.

tw2

Corey Darling":3bb2t17n said:
To take the tranny off, is it a good idea to try the same approach with the engine on its side? and use the hoist to take the tranny weight? or keep the engine up right?

I took the tranny off with the engine sitting upright on the floor. I did it by myself and had some small bits of wood under the sump on the tranny end so the tranny was not touching the floor. I used to hoist to stabilize it slightly and wrestled it off like that. Lifting it off with the engine on its side is a LOT easier unless you have someone to help you get the correct angle with it on the ground. Lifting the transfer case to the correct angle while trying to remove the tranny is not easy.

Corey

Good to know, ill try lifting it off vertically i think. but will have to decide when i get to that point.

thx

CMS-GT4

Any chance to get a test run in with the RC gearbox yet? I am curious how you like it.

I am also curious about what your power levels are and your tire size. I am trying to get feedback so that I can determine if I am going with a lower final drive when ever I do my clutch.

Simba

CMS-GT4":hoj1s09w said:
Any chance to get a test run in with the RC gearbox yet? I am curious how you like it.

Never got one, just a fresher JDM/US box. No test runs yet as I had an injector seal issue. And a cold start injector issue. And a half dozen other issues. Probably this week.

I am also curious about what your power levels are and your tire size. I am trying to get feedback so that I can determine if I am going with a lower final drive when ever I do my clutch.

Never had time to get to a dyno with it. I would guess around 300-320 whp on full whack. Tires are 225/40/18 front, 255/35/18 rear.

TRD-ST165

I am in the process of doing my clutch and was wondering if I need to put any sealant on before I put the trans back on?

Hotrodhendrix

Sealant on what?

Im gonna have to try that way next time! Freaking 2 guys and 3 hours later got mine on.

Love the HKS. Almost as pretty as my os giken... :wink:

etantshi

CMS-GT4":3rkxo2gf said:
The rolling diameter is the same for both those tire sizes. So, he should not have any issues.

I was looking at the overall diameter difference from front to rear. 2ish mm difference. Maybe negligible. but I'd just keep them all 35 or all 40.

Bill Strong

Great post.

I have just spent the last 3 hours getting ass absoluted kicked bt a 3sgte and st165 transaxle/transfer case.
I thought I was just getting old and losing my touch. But I see I am not the only one here who has had issues with re-insertion.
I am going to try again tomorrow using your tips.

thanks guys.

___Scott___

Here's a tip I don't remember seeing anyone post. When you think you have everything lined up, but it just won't slip into postion, rotate the crank. That will help things slip together.