Fog Lights on - without the head lights on

WarTowels

Here is a at best, a very poor write up from ToyotaCelicaOnline:

http://toyotacelicaonline.com/fogs.htm

It's pretty sketchy, and I don't want to hack at my wiring like that. However, I find the concept very interesting. I think it would be very sweet if the fog light button acted independently from the rest of the lighting.

So if the button was on, the fog lights would be on, if the button was off, they would be off.

Anyone done this?

-Towels

Corey

Do your fogs come on with the light switch at the Dash ----- Mark?

Because i just tried and can turn my fogs on without the headlights np

bigacuralvr

Canadian spec cars used the fogs as "daytime running lights" - as their saftey option.

That writeup is good - but sure is alot of work. Really, all you have to do is run a wire from your driving lights over to the relay to "switch" it on when the parking lights are on. I suppose I could do a decent write up - if there is enough people looking for this.

Here's a pic of my 90 with the relay re-wired and my JDM fogs yO!

AllTracRunninggood004.jpg

AllTrac006.jpg

Enjoy - Brett

TEAMFaint

Correction:

Canadian cars did NOT use the foglights as our DRL's, we used the bumper lenses (signals) as our DRLs.

For you US gents do your fogs only come on when your headlights are flipped up?
We have a button that we just push in for the fogs to activate.

I currently have my JDM ST185 fogs running as my DRL's since it was easier than buying the kit for the signal lights, and there is actually an easier way than that write up.

I can't say exactly how it was done, but a set of wires were just run from the battery in the engine bay to the foglights up front to act as a continous power source; thus the lights are always on.

Gtfourtownhouseangle.jpg

WarTowels

That write up is setup poorly, has crappy dated pictures, spelling errors, and has people wrapping wires around fuses. That's a good write up in your eyes?

Regardless, I would be interested in another method with the fog lights coming on with the parking lights, or independently.

-Towels

Corey

How are the gt4 lights set up? mine come on with the parkinglights. And because mine is <december '89, i didnt need DRL. so its still stock.

Anyway to get the same stuff and wire it up like a gt4?

Rick89GTS

^ Pretty sure the JDM set-up is different from the USDM version.
For the ST165, the JDM ones could turn on their fogs separately but I had to re-wire mine.

gearhead313

all I had to do was insert a jumper wire from 'power with the key' to the switched side of the fog light fuse... you could jump it from parking lights too if you wanted.

Azonic

Means...

Take a wire from the hot side of your Marker light relay or the Main power relay,

Remove the factory trigger wire from your fog relay, Run the new wire to the trigger side of your Fog light relay...

Make sure to secure and make safe the factory tricgger and Done...

However,
If you rewire the switch to take the power from the markers, then the switch direct to the trigger side, you can control if they come one with the switch, but make it so you can't leave them on, unless you have your markers on..

I am going to run mine to the Marker lights...

so, dusk and dawn will have markers and fogs (on switch)...
and lights up with both (unless I turn them off)....

But why would I do that after all that work? lol

Shaggz00

that's a lot of effort for the 185!

In the 165 it's not necessary to run a wire to some other power source. The plug has four pins I believe... I just jumped two of the pins and presto! It took all of 5 mins (only cuz I had to take the glove box off). I pretty much just tested each lead until I found the combo that worked. I will take a pic when I get my car back home, Hopefully Sunday.

Rick89GTS

Shaggz00":1zlwyyhd said:
that's a lot of effort for the 185!

In the 165 it's not necessary to run a wire to some other power source. The plug has four pins I believe... I just jumped two of the pins and presto! It took all of 5 mins (only cuz I had to take the glove box off). I pretty much just tested each lead until I found the combo that worked. I will take a pic when I get my car back home, Hopefully Sunday.

That's right, Shaggz00, you helped me out with this on my 165. You are the man :smokes:

How-to: ST165 Fog Lights Mod (independent fogs)

DISCLAIMER: I am not an auto electrician or anything like that. This worked on my car, so use all precautions and I take no responsibility if you mess up your car!

1) The ST165 fog light relay is located up behind the glove box. You have to remove glove box to reach the relay. I tested it with a jumper wire to Pins#1 & 2. (Note the orientation of the locking lug on the block plug)

2) Disconnect battery after testing for the live pins.

3) Disconnect plug from the factory fog light switch. Then run a wire from Pin#1 to the terminal on the back of your fog switch and run another wire from Pin#2 to the other terminal on the back of the fog switch.

4) Connect battery and enjoy your independent fogs...
*Just remember, they are manually operated, so don't forget to turn them OFF*

100_1049.jpg

fogs2.jpg

fogs4.jpg

fogs5.jpg

Untitled-2-1.jpg

RedCelicaTRD

Someone has posed a better way of doing that before. I can't remember which board it was on, but the process was faster, cleaner and less ghetto.

WarTowels

Yes. There is. It was so easy! Let me find that thread for you.

EDIT:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10580

Summary:

1. Snip the red/white wire
2. Splice the end that is in the fog light relay, into the white hot lead from the blue part above it?
3. Cap the other end of the original wire.

Done!

All thanks to JustJoe for bringing this to my attention.

I have noticed that after the car is shut off, the lights occasionally stay on for a few seconds. I think they are on a capacitor.

-Towels