DON'T buy the SSAC (eBay) 'ST185' midpipe! *Pics*

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Postby 935motorsports » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:37 am

Yes the flange is supposed to be welded on crooked like that. It is their way of avoiding another bend.

That one you purchased, looks nothing like the 185 ones I have.

Where can I get midpipes for $50? I'll buy a bunch :) Only if they fit right of course.

I'm going to see if I can get the midpipe price down. The thing is, they won't let me buy it alone. I have to buy the entire exhaust with midpipe, have it shipped to me. Then, take it out, get a new box for it, and hope someone buys the exhaust witout midpipe. The entire thing is quite a hassle, thus the price.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
935motorsports
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:29 pm

^The ST205 midpipes that we are getting in place of what are supposed to be ST185 midpipes are $50 from SSAC's website. I can't see the correct ST185 midpipe being too much more than that, but of course, the trick is to actually get the correct one.

It doesn't surprise me that the only reason you are getting the correct MP is because you are forced to buy the full exhaust. So far the only people who are getting the correct MP's are those who order the Motoria full exhaust all at once. SSAC/XSPower seems incapable of sending the right midpipe if it's not pre-packaged from the manufacturer.

Maybe you could try contacting the Motoria factory directly and dealing with them only? Their website was posted in the Motoria review thread.

Also, do you have any contact info for SSAC/XS?

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby gpmarzan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:49 pm

So im not guaranteed the right midpipe if i ordered one from the ssautochrome website? Mine is getting all dinged up in the front from bottoming out
Patrick M.
st165

gpmarzan
Established Member

Postby 935motorsports » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:56 pm

I would imagine that these things are pre-packed overseas. They are HEAVILY packed with staples and super strong tape. It took me nearly 10 minutes to get it open and get the pieces out.

So, getting someone to pull this stuff out before hand might be difficult.

I deal with a guy who re-sells XS parts, so I actually don't have any good SSauto contact information.

I have emailed them lots of times before and never received a response.

IF you can find a way for me to buy say 10 pieces of ST185 midpipes only, let me know. I'll order up a quantity.
935motorsports
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:33 pm

gpmarzan wrote:So im not guaranteed the right midpipe if i ordered one from the ssautochrome website? Mine is getting all dinged up in the front from bottoming out

You will almost certainly get an ST205 MP. Cancel the order if you can. Or be sure to use paypal so you can get your money back when they send you the wrong one.

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby lumbercis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:42 pm

935motorsports wrote:IF you can find a way for me to buy say 10 pieces of ST185 midpipes only, let me know. I'll order up a quantity.

http://www.motoria.co.kr/

Product>Muffler Assembly>Toyota Exhaust System>Celica GT4>Inquiry

or sales@motoria.co.kr

Boom! There you go. Just put in an inquiry and in the message field ask if they will sell ST185 midpipes seperately.

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby WarTowels » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 pm

Or buy the full exhaust + DP and sell it cheaper than SSAutochrome, and you got yourself a deal. I notice now you sell the same setup without the DP for almost $108+ more...

https://935motorsports.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=1459

+

https://935motorsports.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=1026

= $548 not including the unknown shipping charges on the mid pipe. And that dosen't come with the DP.

Where as SSAutochrome sells the same thing for for $440 shipped.

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1484

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby smog7 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:40 am

SO DAMN TEMPTING!!!
i need money....
http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1484
-omar
my car doesn't leak oil, it just marks its territory
rally tarmac 1990 st185
smog7
GTFour God

Postby ironpanther » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:55 am

I got a 205 midpipe with the car when I bought my 185. Thank goodness for having welding skills and a summit racing warehouse in town. Bought one 3" U bend and a 14"X3" flex pipe and an hour later BAM! 205 midpipe now bolts up to 185 no problem.
ironpanther
Club Member

Postby OnAll-FOUR » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:53 am

ironpanther wrote:I got a 205 midpipe with the car when I bought my 185. Thank goodness for having welding skills and a summit racing warehouse in town. Bought one 3" U bend and a 14"X3" flex pipe and an hour later BAM! 205 midpipe now bolts up to 185 no problem.

Any Pics of your handy work?
Now with the heart of a wolf500
1990 ST185 - JDM, 138.1AWhp July 06 --> 202AWHP Dec 08 with stock engine and increased boost only :)
WSID: 15.688@82.59 (Weak ;) ) : Wakefield 1:16.2
OnAll-FOUR
Club Member

Postby 935motorsports » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:34 am

I am still trying to figure out how I can be competitive, yet offer service that SSauto does not provide.

Since it seems that the DP combo deal is cheaper there, I will have to investigate that.

When I look at the exhaust only, theirs is $520 shipped, mine is $550 shipped (using my zip code).

There are several things to consider as well. They do not pay hosting fees, they do not have a phone number where you can talk to someone, etc.

This may not be worth $30, but if I get the pricing closer, I think that the decision should be made more simple. If someone has some time, on Monday I can have you try to be a "customer" on both websites and report back to me what it shows. This real world test will be very helpful in helping me adjust the pricing.
935motorsports
Established Member

Postby ironpanther » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:45 am

unlike some of the guys that are good at documenting as they go I tend to just focus on getting things done and right now the mid pipe was just one in a list of things to get this car back on the road. In due time I will get some pictures and do a write up.
ironpanther
Club Member

Postby Gary » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:29 am

BUYER BEWARE!
Here is another one that sells ST205 midpipe as ST185/ST165 midpipe
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0178390843
Seller ID:
plazacomplex9197
Lists:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/?from=R40 ... a+mid+pipe
It won't fit ST185/ST165
Gary
GTFour God

Postby lumbercis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:16 pm

935motorsports wrote:I am still trying to figure out how I can be competitive, yet offer service that SSauto does not provide.

Since it seems that the DP combo deal is cheaper there, I will have to investigate that.

When I look at the exhaust only, theirs is $520 shipped, mine is $550 shipped (using my zip code).

There are several things to consider as well. They do not pay hosting fees, they do not have a phone number where you can talk to someone, etc.

This may not be worth $30, but if I get the pricing closer, I think that the decision should be made more simple. If someone has some time, on Monday I can have you try to be a "customer" on both websites and report back to me what it shows. This real world test will be very helpful in helping me adjust the pricing.

Robert, where are you seeing the price at $520? SSAC's website has it listed at $400 for the Motoria exhaust. http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1484

To be honest, I'm not sure it's in your best interest to stock the full exhaust. People can get them from ebay and have been getting the correct one. They can always put in a paypal dispute if there is a problem and get their money back.

However, what we cannot get from ebay is the correct midpipe. If you can find a way to get Motoria to ship you just midpipes, I'm sure you would get plenty of business from that. I'd be willing to pay up to $100-$125 for a midpipe I knew was $50 from the factory if I knew I was going to get the right one, and to cover your additional expenses. It is still half the price of the Aussie pipe, and would sell to those who wanted to use a different cat-back than the Motoria.

One other option might be to turn the tables on the Chinese manufacturers and just have a local shop copy the SSAC midpipe and sell it as the "935" midpipe. If you could get it done cheaply enough that it was significantly cheaper than the Aussie, then you would probably do well on it. I don't know if that's possible with U.S. material and labor costs, but maybe worth looking into.

J.
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby 935motorsports » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:42 am

My mistake. I did a fake "checkout" and it came up with $520 shipped. I found that if I picked US it was $440 shipped.

So I will have to see HOW I can do better then that. The thing is that it is the single tip exhaust which I believe is cheaper. Right now I am only selling the twin tip exhaust.

I don't mind selling just the midpipe, but you have understand that I have to make something out of the deal after paying for shipping twice and having to keep a catback on hand and hope that somebody buys it.

After i posted before, I lowered the midpipe and price to less then $200.

Let me give you an example. The exhaust w/ midpipe is $440 shipped from SSAC. Let's say I sell you the midpipe for $100 and $35 shipping. I end up with a catback on the shelf with about $300 in it.

I have had the catback for $299 on my website for a good 2 weeks and nobody has ordered it. So this $300 is just sitting there and not selling. The only way to justify pulling the midpipe out of the package is to sell it at a high margin. This way, I have less in the catback and when it finally DOES sell, I will be happy.

I hope this makes sense. I am not complaining, I am just trying to figure out how I can help. I asked about the st205 midpipe, my guy is checking. But so far they only have the US related items.
935motorsports
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to Performance and Power