Restoring WTA IC project

CMS-GT4

So, I pulled my st205 wta IC, and stripped the top to repaint it. After stripping it, I found that someone had already tried to repair dents in the past. They used something to fill the dents, though I am not sure what.

Anyone have suggestions on what I could use to fill the dents on the IC and sand smooth?

My plan is to try and make everything look perfect then paint with a gloss black hi temp paint.

I would like to source the OEM metal intercooler sticker. Does anyone have a part number or source for these?

I am using an old technique for helping with heat soak. I have a heat blanket that I am going to glue to the bottom and sides of the IC. So i am not worried about repainting the bottom. The bottom paint is in good shape anyway.
I have an old email that suggests using Dow Corning Hi Temp silicone but I have not been able to source it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an adhesive with a high temp rating to use on the bottom of the IC?

I will post progess and pics as I do this. I have already stripped most of the paint using a wire brush type bit for a drill. For the side I am using a wire brush. I am avoiding getting any particles inside the core.
[/b][/code]

toayoztan

You could try sanding down the dents to bare metal and filling it in with Quick Steel (spelling?). It's a long stick of putty you can pick up at automotive stores. After it dries, you can sand it down smooth. I'm not sure though about how receptive it is to paint and what not...i'd imagine there wouldn't be issues painting over it.

Bryan

Shaggz00

I wouldn't recommend the adhesive backed heat blanket. Lesson learned, there... The adhesive will eventually peel off from the blanket leaving it looking like crap. I've never tried the spray, but it sounds promising. Go for it.

CMS-GT4

The metal filler works decent. Needs lots of sanding. I would recomend having some course 300 grit sanding blocks and a smoother sanding block for the final touches.
It does not go on smooth and looks crumbly, but once it sets and you sand off the top layer it looks like aluminum. I finished the first sanding set. I am going to fill the rest and let it set over night to sand tomorrow.

After thats done, I can paint it and then get it back on the car.

AW11-Turbo

here some pics of rebuilding a st205 w/a ic for my AW11 Turbo Project with gen4 3sgte out of an caldina (i'v around 1000 pics from the hole project... maybe posting later if someone is interested)

comparison of st185 cs ic and st205 ic

rewelded st205 ic (caldina manifold is sidefeed)

removed the old paint

sprayed with heat proof spray

insulated

and here the metal sticker with the part number (11286-88480) i ordered for a friends st205 on which me made a gt28rs conversion (also many pics available)

CMS-GT4

Nice work. Here is my progress so far.

I also came up with a trick for removing the IC faster.
You work the turbo to IC coupling up the pipe of the IC. Once its off the turbo, you can pop the intercooler out. Other wise it is a big pain in the ass to remove.

Here is what I started with.
You can see the scratches, but there are small dents as well.
pic1vs1.png

After removing the IC with the trick mentioned earlier, I taped up all the water and air ports to minimize and dust inside. I don't want to clock up my pump or get gunk in my engine.
pic2mz2.png

Here is the stripped intercooler. While stripping it I found that it had worse dents that I thought and had been filled before. I wanted to smooth all this out and make it look much better.
So I filled it with lab metal. Its like a thick putty. It is course and does not go on smooth so it takes a few rounds to get it just right. I over filled the bulk and let it set over night. It is supposed to take about 2 hours though.
You can see here the rough 1st coat. I used some course sand paper and a sanding sponge to smooth it out.
pic3qz5.png

Here is after the 1st round of sanding. It flush with the metal but you can see some rough spots where I did not fill enough or areas I did not fill at all.
img5161pk6.jpg

I went back to fill a second time.
Here you can see after the filling is done and it starts to harden. The top layer is crumbly. As you work with it, it turns to this, so you have to work quick.
img5164se9.jpg

Here is the finished second sand and the tools I used. Its filling better and is getting smoother. Its a different color but seems to blend well.
img5165om6.jpg

I am now on the 3rd fill. I plan on this being the final.
Its pretty smooth and is filled fairly well.
I have already accepted that it might have some slight flaws but not enough to notice or spend more time on. If one wanted something to be as good as factory, it could be done but I am happy with what I have.
I washed and degreased it. Tomorrow I am getting an adapter for the hoses to fit better and then I will retape it and paint it.
img5167ke5.jpg

robolt

Anyone have a source in the US to order the ST205 intercooler sticker?

P/N 11286-88480

I would also like to redo my IC.

...thanks,
.....robert

CMS-GT4

I have not found a source for the sticker yet, but I am working on it.

The IC looks good. It has a wet look. I went a little heavy in some spots and the front did not come out as good as I hoped. I am going to sand a few spots with some 1500 grit sand paper then try and touch up some of the small holes in the front with some epoxy and maybe wrap this up tonight.

I do not think I did a good enough job.

It is uneven and you can see some of the imperfections. I am going to go with it as is for now, and try and do a better job next time.

img5172sy8.jpg

img5173ov3.jpg

flyinfatman

quick tip... when your sanding down the filler and your trying to find out if you have filled the low spots or have any high spots that need to be hit you should spray the item with sprayer filled with rubbing alcohol, this will give you a sheen for a qucik second that will allow the part to refract light and show the imperfections better...... some times you do learn shit from tv

BlackGT4

well done, thats still a pretty good effort.
I'd love to have a go at doing mine, The only thing that worries me is that I've only ever sanded small pieces of wood :|

CMS-GT4

Here it is on the car. I will take another whack at it some day next summer, but it works for now.

It got kind of dirty already from the rain.

img5176zc0.jpg