E85

bloodMoney

you will need an aftermarket ECU, viton o-rings for the injectors, an adjustible FPR, bigger injectors(540s or higher), and a 255 pump...
If your fuel lines are rusty, they will need to be changed out too, I ran e85 in my ford for about 3 weeks and I had to switch back because the fuel ate through the rust that was holding my lines together...

~bloodMoney

ST185pinjo

I have everything but the Viton O-rings. The fpr I don't need, I run 800 cc's.

Is the aluminium head oke with the E85?

tjdouble07

Your head is fine to run e85. No negative effects. In fact, I've heard running e85 has a steam cleaning like effect, cleaning out deposits on valves and the combustion chamber area. I have a buddy running e85 on his 2jz supra, and has had no problems, even running stock hard lines. The two things recommended are that you have no organic rubber seals (synthetic rubber is fine) and it's also a good idea to anodize aluminum fuel rails. In actuality, ethanol (especially e85, being only 85% ethanol) is much less corrosive then methanol, and is compatible with almost every fuel system from the 1990's or newer (or so I've been told). I'm in the process of setting my car up to run on it right now. Also, if you aren't particularly looking to get every bit of horsepower available from timing, you can very safely run e85 with use of a module you can buy that plugs in line between the fuel injectors and the wires to them. With a flip of a switch, it will change the injector pulse width to about 30% larger, which is roughly the amount of extra fuel necessary to reach a stoichiometric mixture (aka stoich AFR's).

flextek-2_big.jpg

You should also be able to get similar results turning up your base fuel pressure via an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. (Don't quote me on that though, as I haven't personally tried this...)

Also, if you perform a search on youtube for E85, there are a couple of good videos showing the effects of running e85 vs. regular gasoline. As far as engine life is concerned, I've read of very few negative effects. Actually, most of the benefits are positive. The biggest thing I have read that is negative (besides the larger fuel consumption) is that for cold winter environments (about 35 degrees Fahrenheit or colder), the initial cold start is a bit harder then on regular gas.

Ultimately, I think E85 is worth considering running, and is a great way to get race gas performance (when properly tuned for it) for a fraction of the cost of race gas.

Looking back, here are a few of the articles I ran across when looking into running e85:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=73061

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/

Just my 2 cents.

88Allheeze

Im running e85

I have the following:
-AFPR
-compatable o rings
-880cc injectors
-neopreme coated (inside) fuelhose
-walbro 255 fuel pump
-Honda ecu with crome

ST185pinjo

Thanks guys.

If I switch over to E85, I will make a E85 map in the SM4. So I can still switch from E85 to regular fuel in 2 seconds.

I will read those articles first.

I don't have an adjustible FPR, I will just make a new map in the SM4 and tune everything once again.

Autronic SM4.
Wolfkatz side feed fuel rail.
800cc Sard injectors.
Walbro 255.