Mobile Smog Check off of Main and Colombia in Riverside, CA

Toxygene

Ok, I just got directed to a mobile smog check in Riverside. I was on my lunch break and on my way to my house this officer was directing traffic in what I thought was some kind of construction zone. Instead when it was my turn to pass through he stops me and directs me into the zone to what I find out is a mobile smog check.

This guy who's dressed like a construction worker in disguise I guess then tells me that it's voluntary and that I don't have to do it if I don't want to. I ask him how long this thing takes. He said it would take 10 minutes. I explain to him that I'm on my lunch break but he continues to ask me what kind of car I own.

Aha!! Turns out they don't have the capabilities to smog AWD cars and as it was he had trouble finding my model of Celica in his laptop. So he ends up having to wave me through.

Even still, I don't have anything to hide but after some of the things I've heard about what cops in the Inland Empire are doing to cars and their interesting tactics. This doesn't exactly sit easy with me.

Toxygene

Yeah, it was funny when I told him it's a Celica Alltrac.

He was like it's a what? An Audi? I'm like no, a Toyota Celica... then he's like ok what model..... An ALLTRAC Turbo!! And that's which make???

I felt like that who's on third skit with Laurel and Hardy.

db

We've been seeing them pop up near on-ramps here in Vegas too. None of the smog stations in Vegas use rollers, so they'd end up doing an idle, and 2000 RPM test with the car sitting still. No cat, you'd fail. And probably be fined big time.

So far, I'm not sure how far they are going. They might be just doing monitoring surveys. Apparently the equipment uses ultraviolet light and similar tech to detect gross polluters. Then again, they also have cameras on those units that'll catch your license plate. Haven't heard of anyone getting a request to do an immediate smog in the mail yet, but who knows.

They keep this up, and everyone will have a cat and a cutout. :D