another swap question

WickWackDJ15

Okay, i swapped out my 5sfe for the 3sgte, i have everything hooked up in the bay, well most of it, i have the wire harness extension, and when i went to plug in all the harnesses, the wires that come from the dash to plug into the ecu is a different size connector, what do i do?

mitt4g

Im having the same issue,
iM SWAPPING A ST185 INTO A ST162- I t would be great to get some pics of a swapped ecu to compare.

I cant find where the White plug is supposed to be plugged into?

Carolina91GT-S

No, you do not need a new ECU.

You can and should use the 3SGTE ECU with your 3SGTE engine. You will need to either get Dr Tweak to modify your harness or you will need to rewire the plugs accordingly to match up with your car.

As far as swapping into an ST 162 try checking this out....
http://www.gtfour.ca/howtoswap.html

It is a detailed description of someone putting a 3SGTE into an ST162

WickWackDJ15

i know i dont need a new ecu, i just ignored that comment, i just plan on replugging the wiring system completely. its gonna be a fun on. dr. tweak wanted 400 to convert it.

Carolina91GT-S

It's all about the years man, you need to know the year of your engine, the year of your harness, and the year of your ECU. DO NOT assume they are the same year, even if you got them fas a set from the importer....unless yiyu actually got a completely assembled clip I would verify these #s.

Keoni

The plug coming from your dash is made for a 5SFE Manual ECU. As long as your 3SGTE ECU year matches the 3SGTE year harness on your motor you'll be okay. In most cases you dont need to have that plug coming from the dash plugged into the ECU to get the engine to run. That plug is mainly for the check engine light and a few other non-essential things.

If you choose to have that 3rd plug hooked up you need to get a dash plug from a 1990-93 Celica GT/GTS automatic. Its the same plug as the all-trac and the MR2 turbo but easier to source. Junk yards is your best bet. Find the schematics for the 5SFE manual ECU and the schematics for the 3SGTE ECU and match up whatever wires. For Example, CEL(check engine light), BATT, STP etc.. . Cut off the 5SFE plug and connect the corresponding wires to the new plug that will fit into the 3SGTE ECU.

Carolina91GT-S

If your 5SFE is 90-91 and your 3SGTE is 90-91 then you can use this diagram that I made. It IS NOT a wiring diagram. It is a wire relocation diagram. The brown wire for the AB check connector signal is optional, I put it in so I could use the airbag tool to reset the airbag light, and you could put it on any available pin, I just used the one that is listed because it was convenient. It is pretty self explanatory but if it doesn't make sense just say so and I'll try to fill in the gaps.

swapwiring.jpg