system 10

maroon_185

I was wondering what the Stock amp on the system 10 puts out. and where is a good website to pick up the system 10 wiring harness all help apprciated

maroon_185

Its a metra amp integration harness. I was wonder where is a good place online to get one so when I get the car I can move my clarion deck into it.

SuperWhite92

I used a Metra harness that i picked up from the local Soundtrack. Get a 92-97 Lexus "premium sound option" Amp Integration harness. cost me $6.50. Not to mention that the instructions that come with it are awesome.
also try www.metraonline.com

Wreckless

SuperWhite92":3p51ae04 said:
I used a Metra harness that i picked up from the local Soundtrack. Get a 92-97 Lexus "premium sound option" Amp Integration harness. cost me $6.50. Not to mention that the instructions that come with it are awesome.
also try www.metraonline.com

Any chance you remember the part #, or where on the site to get it? I've looked for it but couldn't find it.

A

Anonymous

I cut and pasted the thread from the old board and saved it to a file
just in case I needed it later

Here is the thread as I copied it

==============================================

You can change the install to a 15 minute one if you use a head unit with pre-outs(rca's)
and metra wiring harness 70-8112. Plug and play. It says 1992 and up, but as far as I
know there is no difference in the systems unless you go back to 1990 where it has two
single din pieces. As for the pocket use metra kit 99-8101.

OK. Here is a high level overview. If you are not that familiar, I'd recommend that you
get it installed professionally. Your cost should be no more than $50 in labor, and $20
for the premium harness, and $15 for the pocket kit. A head unit with preouts: The back
of the head unit with have RCA jacks. Just like the wires you use to hook up a TV to a
VCR. These wires enable a low voltage signal to get to the amplifier. The amplifier
takes the low voltage signal and amplifies it, sending power to the speakers. Because
the stock headunit uses speaker wire instead of RCA's to get a low voltage signal to the
amp, adding an aftermarket radio does not work. The speaker wires of an aftrmarket head
unit contain an already amplified signal. So when an amplifier receives an already amplified
signal, it amplifies it more. What you get is loud distorted mess, and the amp and or
speakers won't last long.

This 80-8112 harness has a molex plug that plugs directly into the wire haness that your
stock radio currently does. An RCA (aka composite connector) is in simplest explanation
is like a speaker wire. You have a positive center post and a negative out portion
(technical name unknown by me). This harness basically coverts factory amplifier speaker
wire inputs and converts them to RCA connectors. In a nut shell, your new radio with
have a color coded wiring harness. The Metra harness will also be color coded. Match
and connect the colored wire pair between the harnesses. The preout of the metra harness
will also be marked to tell you which preouts should be connected. Link:

http://www.metraonline.com/product.aspx?sku=70-8112

As for the mounting or dash kit. You can get away with a pocket kit, #88-00-8000. The
pocket will fill the extra space in the dash now that you have a single DIN sized radio
instead of double DIN. You will utilize the factory mounting bracket connected to your
OEM radio. They will bolt right onto your new head unit and your new pocket, and your
factory cup holder will also still snap into place below your new pocket. Link:

http://www.metraonline.com/product.aspx?sku=88-00-8000

After finding what i could on this site, i am going to double check it.
I am installing an Aftermarket H.U. into a 1992 All Trac with the stock 10 Speaker Premium system. Keeping the factory amp and speakers.

I need wiring harness #70-8112
And
Pocket 99-8101 or 88-00-8000, right?

As far as pockets, which will look more like stock ?(aside from the fact they will have a pocket under the new Head Unit)

Please let me know if i am right in my thinking.
Thanks,
Shaun from Colorado

Re: Pocket and Wiring Harness for new deck
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 7:34am » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are correct. Good to see someone else doing it the right way. The "right way" meaning that this is the right way to do it if you are retaining the stock amp.

The harness you named is correct. The pockets are very similar from what I know. The 99-8101 is just more general/oniversal application. The 88-00-8000 is more of a specialized kit that contains a Toyota OEM pocket, or so Metra claims, that will accept the factory brackets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jay Bemont
1992 All-trac (US-Spec)
Owner of Excel Audio

toayoztan
Experienced ATC member

Turbo's the name, Winning's the game!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 6:48pm » Quote Modify

Yes! that harness 70-8112 DOES work, and makes aftermarket cd player installation SO SO simple. You hook up the main wires to power the cdplayer, and rca does all the work for your speakers using your stock amp. thanks for Playfortoday, you all should use that harness. it will save you alot of trouble if you aren't doing any custom work.

as for the pocket, 80-00-8000. If metra claims to be the OEM pocket, it will fit just fine on the bracket. I just bought mine from Toyota...didn't feel like having any complications :-d

Bryan

'92 All-Trac

toayoztan
Experienced ATC member

Turbo's the name, Winning's the game!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 10:25pm » Quote Modify

Actually, i was wondering if we should make this harness thing a "sticky note" on this forum, for installing aftermarket cdplayer to a stock system 10 harness. I'm sure it will answer alot of redundant questions, and be very useful. What do you all think?

Bryan

'92 All-Trac

Larry_Klassen
ATC member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 11:48am » Quote Modify

Can anyone tell me where to get everything I need (the harness, brackets, etc.) to install an aftermarket stereo into my stock space, using the 10 speakers and amp? Is there any detailed instructions for this? I want to do this, have the stereo, now just need to get the extras. How much do they all cost? Is it okay to use a stereo with power already (JVC with 45w/channel, 180w total) along with the amp? Thanks for any answers - hopefully these aren't dumb questions, but I am quite a rookie with car electronics.

Larry

zblu81
Experienced ATC member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 12:51pm » Quote Modify

the harness you should be able to pick up at any car audio place. i got mine at Best Buy. i didn't need anybrackets. the Sony h.u. that i installed had screw holes that lined up with the stock radio bracket. if you are using a single "din?" unit you'll probably want to buy the pocket(got mine from toyota too) to fill up the extra space.
greg

Playfortoday
Experienced ATC member

Revived

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 1:13pm » Quote Modify

on Dec 9th, 2003, 11:48am, Larry_Klassen wrote:Can anyone tell me where to get everything I need (the harness, brackets, etc.) to install an aftermarket stereo into my stock space, using the 10 speakers and amp? Is there any detailed instructions for this? I want to do this, have the stereo, now just need to get the extras. How much do they all cost? Is it okay to use a stereo with power already (JVC with 45w/channel, 180w total) along with the amp? Thanks for any answers - hopefully these aren't dumb questions, but I am quite a rookie with car electronics.

Larry

Any decent stereo shop should have it, and definitely can order it. Circuit City seems to stock it, but I am a privae owner and would rather you support the little guys. The harness runs $20-25. The head unit/stereo needs to have rca pre outs for it to work. It does not matter what the wattage output is on the head unit, because you won't be using it. The head unit is just the provider of the low level signal for the factory amplifier. The pocket kit I mentioned in the earlier post utilizes the factory brackets ($12-16).

Jay Bemont
1992 All-trac (US-Spec)
Owner of Excel Audio

SuperWhite92
New ATC member

Former Honda SOHC Monkey

« Reply #7 on: Today at 1:35pm » Quote Modify

Okay- Made an attempt to do this. Most of it worked fine.... Most of it.

Do not buy the 99-8101 kit. It will not fit with the cupholder, until you modify it extensively. We spent 15 minutes with the harness and the pocket assembly. Then 50 more minutes customizing it to make it fit. It still doesn't fit well, and so i have ordered 88-00-8000.

To those of you in the future, buy Metra Harness #70-8112, and buy the pocket #88-00-8000. The harness was $11.95 from the local soundtrack, and the pocket cost me $14.95. It's worth it.

Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send Topic Print

Forum Jump: ----------------------------- All Trac Club Chat ----------------------------- - Club Chat - Club Events - Club Discounts - Club Racing ----------------------------- Technical Forums ----------------------------- - Performance => Audio/Electronics/Wiring - Help & Maintenance - Non Turbo Help - Visual Mods - Articles/Reviews - GT-Four Tech ----------------------------- General ----------------------------- - Off topic - Site/Forum Suggestions - Cheese Mods! - Celica Show Off - Your other cars ----------------------------- For Sale/Wanted ----------------------------- - Cars for sale/wanted, USA - Parts for sale/wanted, USA ----------------------------- Local Talk ----------------------------- - Southwest - Northwest - North East - GT4 Corner UK/Europe/NZ/AUS - Canada - South East - Central US
« No topic | Next topic »

All Trac Club » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!

wrong wrong wrong...don't toss or replace yet
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21st, 2002, 5:09pm » Quote Modify

Guys:

The system 10 and other Toyota double din head units all suffered from a common
flaw in the past. Toyota cheaped out on the capacitors used in the deck, the caps
went bad slowly, and things like left channel playing softer than right channel
or CD playing softer than tuner started to occur. The fix is not tough, nor does
it have to be expensive. However, if you've never worked with electronics before,
make sure you find an A/V repair place that can do it. The parts cost a matter of
a few bucks, the labor shouldn't be more than $25 or $35. And FWIW, the System 10,
when working right sounds pretty good. It certainly sounds better than spending
$300 on a headunit you don't need. Especially when for $300 you could buy a new
Aussie Dp....but that's another story.

++++++

Perform this at your own risk. You need to get the entire head unit out of
the dash and CAREFULLY open up the CD player. You'll have to take the
entire contents out of the metal shell because the circuit board is on the
bottom. CAREFULLY (there are lots of delicate wires to pop off) remove the
circuit board from the unit - you'll need to unplug several plugs (look at
the way they separate so you'll know how they're supposed to go back on)
and unscrew a heat dissipator at the back right corner (be sure there's
enough thermal compound the back of that dissipator).

The capacitors in question are in a loose group at the back left of the
board. They are red 4.7 mF, 25v capacitors about 3/16 inch in length,
maybe 1/8 in diameter, and there are six of them. It is safe (as I'm sure
the electricity-savvy know - I didn't) to use a larger voltage capacitor (I
used 50v), as long as you can make all six of them fit. I would bother
asking for them at Radio Shack - try a more industrial-type electronics
store, like Shields.

That's about it. Put the thing back together, reinstall it, cross your
fingers, and turn the key. Your CD player should sound like new.

Tim
tim @ gtfour.com

==============================================

SuperWhite92

Okay, I believe it is a 70-8112 harness. Can anyone confirm?
I need to get back to Littleton before I can check for sure. And for mounting solutions, don't buy a universal kit, get them to order metra part 88-00-8000. And save the metal brackets that you factory deck mounts to.