Project:Left Hand of God

stevo27

well boys im building a MONSTER of a st-165
almost done and believe it or not this is my daily driver :p ( not anymore haha)

here we go

ENGINE:

2nd gen 3sgte
complete port job (done by me)
ferrea comp plus 1mm oversized valves
shimless bucket conversion
hks 272 exhaust/ intake cams
ferrea dual valve springs with titanium retainers
ats adjustable cam gears
86.5mm weisco pistons (o.o2o over)
pauter rods
acl main and rod bearings
tte metal head gasket
ats l-19 head studs
high volume oil pump
Gt3588r garett turbo (42r now)
Tail 40mm external wastegate( twin 40mm)
custom tubular exhaust manifold 304 sch 40 stainless steal (built by me)(diffrent now)
aeroquip oil/ coolant lines
rmr 75mm mustang tb centerfeed intake manifol
bbk 75mm throttle body
34x16x4 front mount intercooler (now bigger)
2.5/3" charge pipes
hks ssqv blow off valve (twin)
aluminum radiator
dual 12" electric fans ()

FUEL SYSTEM:

1600cc top feed fuel injectors with 880cc backups
speedsource top feed fuel rail
aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
aermotive a1000 inline fuel pump (controlled by switch in cockpit)
aluminum fuel cell
1/2" id stainless braided fuel lines
high flow fuel filters
100-180 shot of love juice

ELECTRONICS:

autotronic sm4
hks evc5 boostcontroller
autometer 35psi/ 30hg boost gauge
autometer 2000 F pyrometer
autometer fuel pressure gauge
autometer oil pressure gauge
autometer oil temp gauge
autometer water temp gauge
aem eugo wideband gauge
10,000rpm monster tach
160mph speedo

DRIVETRAIN:
rps billet carbon twin disk
RC transmission
ats cromoly axle cages on all 4 corners
aluminum drive shafts
aluminum driveshaft hoops
soilid rear diff mount
speedsource soild motor mounts
willwood big brake kit
stainless brak lines
extended clutch slave
soild crossmenber bushings
solid shifter bushings
motegi tacklites 16x8 14lbs each
DIY short shifter
tein HA coilovers
full cage 12 point (having it certified by nhra)

INTERIOUR:
corbeu lightweight fixed back seats 12lbs each
corbeu 3" 5 point cam lock harness'
FULLY gutted (minus stereo hehe ;))
mr10 lexan hatch and rear quarter windows
aluminum hatch floor

umm thats pretty much everything im sure i forgot a bunch of stuff

but here's some progress pics enjoy

nov%203%20006.jpg

nov%203%20012.jpg

nov%203%20017.jpg

nov%203%20004.jpg

manifold%20026.jpg

manifold%20028.jpg

manifold%20033.jpg

steven%20car%20004.jpg

theres ALOT more pictures i just have to upload them

as in my sig im going for the fastest alltrac record
and the fastest 4cyl in alberta wich i have to beat 10.586@121mph

personaly im going for 9 secounds

i expect to be in the 700awhp area with the spray at 9000 ish rpm

at the moment my trac weighs 2700lbs ive removed 200ish more lbs
then adding the cage so i expet to be 2900lbs race weight (with me in it)
running on 8" wide slicks

lemme know what you guys think

i expect to be done at the end of febish hopefully if maching and parts come in as planed 8) :shoots:

88st165

ummm wow :shock:

looks like you put alot of work into it.... i predict that you get some good results.... i might have to start looking at your 165 for some inspiration! keep up the good work 8)

get some more pics of the whole car...

stevo27

steven%20car%20014.jpg

steven%20car%20016.jpg

it's easy man if a kid that just turned 18 can do it anyone can haha

but on a serious note yea if you have any questions i can help with no probs

good results im realy hoping for haha i wanna hold some records

i wanna steal pats fastest alltrac in north america

and its gonna be a battle with ron and his dsm he's going for 850+awhp
but refuses to run slicks so i should destroy him he has a best of 10.6@141mph

well see what happens but i actully have to finish my car first
i would go with a bigger turbo but i want decent spool since im gonna be doing some road racing also :D

more pics tomorow

lumbercis

I'm no expert, and have never built a car like this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...but...

I think you don't have near enough clutch for what you are trying to do. I'd look at some of the better twin-disk clutches. Jeff Fazio and his "Hyde" racecar was running less power than you will be, through a RWD platform, in a lighter car, and he was primarily a road racer, and he eventually had to go to a Tilton Twin-disk. Some of the high-horsepower supra guys use RPS carbon-carbon. HKS also makes a twin disk for the 3sgte.

I wouldn't put a BBK on a drag car. It is really just extra weight for that application. Alot of Drag Supras actually downgrade their beefy turbo brakes to stock NA brakes for this reason. Good pads, rotors, lines and fluid is all you really need. If you are going so fast that you can't stop within the allotted space, you need a parachute, not a BBK. :evil:

Coilovers aren't really necessary either. In general you want alot of "squat" in a drag car to help weight transfer and traction. So you don't generally run super-stiff suspension. Darin from Titan Motorsports (TitanDarin on supraforums) was running low 9's/high 8s on STOCK suspension. OTOH, coilovers probably won't hurt you, they just aren't totally necessary for the application. Might want to pop on over to DSMtuners and see what the AWD guys in the 10's are running for suspension.

Unless you just want it for looks, you really only need one race seat. You can remove the passenger seat entirely when you go to the track. Passengers generally won't find race seats very nice to sit in.

If you are going to be running slicks, I'd ditch the Motegis (not great wheels anyway) and get some proper drag wheels such as Weld or Bogarts. MUCH lighter. But you can't use them on the street. I'd also probably drop down to 15" size. If you want to save money here, I saw a thread on the DSM forums where some guys were using Rota Slipstreams in 15". $500 for a set of four and weigh about 11lbs ea.

Lastly, this is really a personal thing, but I would get different gauges. I had an autometer fail on me. ProSports look good and aren't as pricy as the high end Defi/Greddy stuff. Although it really isn't a big deal for a track slut.

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing you break that record! Good luck!

J.

stevo27

well i forgot to mention this is also a daily driver hahaha i know it's not the best but its my passion but being 18 and a welding apprentice i cant afford 2 vehicals especially dumping nearly 40k into my trac hahaha and the 95% of these parts are already bought including the gauges
and i cant afford higher end gauges as of right now
and previously stated i will also be in a time attack comp i like road racing
so i need the big brakes id and thats why i went with the 35r instead of a 40 or 42r for road racing i need the somewhat quick spool and the stiff suspiension im going to be buying some softer coils for the rear aswell
and for the clutch i didnt plan on making so much power so soon haha
so ive alreay bought the clutch im going to run it seen if she blows
i will be upgrading to an exady triple disk carbon on carbon clutch eventully or i might sell the act and buy it right away but money's tight ill see
and for the track i will have the passenger seat removed :D
and for the slicks im buying a set of centerline 15x8 =)

and im trying to get my pro license and get into some real racing maybe get some sponsers (fingers crossed)

i hope my gauges dont fail
and yea it's not the most practical daily driver

and thanks for the support

lumbercis

Sorry, I didn't see your post about using it for road course work. Well, dual-use setups are a little harder to manage because you have to make some compromises and spend more money.

I'm not sure how money can be an issue when you are blowing 40k? :shrug: If money is an issue, should you, well, not be spending 40k on your car?

Anyway, even though the clutch is brand new, I'd take a loss and sell the clutch and put in an RPS twin disk. The ACT WILL fail at those power levels.

If you are going to be building it for road course work, you need to decide what class you will be running in and make sure your car meets the class requirements. There can be alot of little things that can trip you up. For instance, alot of classes don't allow lexan. Also, road course racing can be expensive even at the hobbyist level. You will go through tires/brake pads and rotors/fuel at an astounding rate. Not to mention track fees. Have you budgeted for this?

J.

Red Rabbit

All i can say is WOW! I wish i had 40k to dump into a car when i was 18, but sadly im 20 now and am broke lol. But anywho's are you going to follow Klas' example with his st165 and get some fiberglass fender's and hatch?

Wow, that looks fantastic. You may have already had it translated or don't care but in Latin Left hand of god is "Sinistra Dei." Good name for a car. :) because in Latin left handed can almost mean something evil hence sinister....However it can also mean unlucky, or having to do with sexuality..... Yes I'm a dork. Sorry. Great project though!

stevo27

40 k is around what i will have spent when im finished prob a bit more
but that's not having a life at all so i can build(afford) the car :D
working 120hours every 2 weeks doesnt hurt either
but anywho i bought myself some late christmass presents

RCI aluminum fuel cell
aeromotive a1000 fuel pump
secondary holly fuel pump for the nitrous
aluminum battery box
10,000rpm monster tach with shift light
external killswitch

waiting for my 1600cc injectors to come in
waiting for my internals to come in so i can send out my block for machineing head to be cleaned so i can port it
waiting for my rmr intake to come in
waiting for my 75mm bbk throttle body to come in

im pretty sure i will eventully go all fiberglass
but not till i can afford it :p

stevo27

Trumanpriest":3kddi887 said:
Wow, that looks fantastic. You may have already had it translated or don't care but in Latin Left hand of god is "Sinestra Dei." Good name for a car. :) because in Latin left handed can almost mean something evil hence sinister....However it can also mean unlucky.... Yes I'm a dork. Sorry. Great project though!

awsome thanks dude thats the cars name as of now hahaha 8)

Red Rabbit

I wonder who will have the fastest 165 when this is all said and done between you and Klas. :roll: Definately this will be a car worthy of being on the cover of a mag.

stevo27

im hoping to be "THE" fastest alltrac 8)

i dunno if klas is going for a sub 10 second pass

but i dont think my trac will see a mag right away there is some cancer
i have to remove well i need new fenders and rear quarters :oops:

stevo27

oh there will be LOTS of video 8)

oh and yea when i buildt my exhaust manifold i moved the postion of the turbo 1/2" to far to the drivers side and when i clock the compresser down it hits the clutch slave :p my bad hahaha

Gino Merlot

Steveo27,
Thats a nice setup you got there,I wish you luck,but I am going to pick your brain a little. What kind of head work do you have going on? I hope at least a Stage III,done by a professional machine shop with a flow bench. I also recomend that if you do do the a Stage III Port,with oversize valves,unshrouded. Then I would use a bigger Throttle body,like a 90mm. Thats what I run on my GT Four. My DD 02 Celica GT-S runs a 75mm and thats all motor. Did you stroke your motor to a 2.2? Its recomended if you are trying push your ways into the 9s. Be carefull if you run Nitros,Just run it safely. If you are,that could send you deeper into the times you are looking forward too. I see you have a Front Mount,they work good,I hope you plan on running Methonal Injection so you can run higher boost,I prefer a Heavy duty liquid to air setup with a Ice Chest,expecially on the monster you are building The guys are right about your clutch setup,That clutch will burn up in a Month. Trust me, AWD Cars are brutal on 6 pucks. I mean everything else sounds great,all your bolt ons. Always remember something,It does not matter what motor you have,or how much boost your run,all your power is made in the head.
Like I said before,I am not Mocking anybody. I am hear to give advice if need be.
Best Wishes,

stevo27

Gino Merlot":39bc1mbl said:
Steveo27,
Thats a nice setup you got there,I wish you luck,but I am going to pick your brain a little. What kind of head work do you have going on? I hope at least a Stage III,done by a professional machine shop with a flow bench. I also recomend that if you do do the a Stage III Port,with oversize valves,unshrouded. Then I would use a bigger Throttle body,like a 90mm. Thats what I run on my GT Four. My DD 02 Celica GT-S runs a 75mm and thats all motor. Did you stroke your motor to a 2.2? Its recomended if you are trying push your ways into the 9s. Be carefull if you run Nitros,Just run it safely. If you are,that could send you deeper into the times you are looking forward too. I see you have a Front Mount,they work good,I hope you plan on running Methonal Injection so you can run higher boost,I prefer a Heavy duty liquid to air setup with a Ice Chest,expecially on the monster you are building The guys are right about your clutch setup,That clutch will burn up in a Month. Trust me, AWD Cars are brutal on 6 pucks. I mean everything else sounds great,all your bolt ons. Always remember something,It does not matter what motor you have,or how much boost your run,all your power is made in the head.
Like I said before,I am not Mocking anybody. I am hear to give advice if need be.
Best Wishes,

ahh the head work i am doing it myself and it will be my first one :twisted: but my fathers friend greg builds 6000+hp nitro motors
and he is holding my hand the whole way through seems like th intake doesnt need MUCH material removed just has to be reshaped and smoothed out the exhaust side however has almost a 1/4" of materiel that can be removed well see how it turns out i will have it put on a flow bench

the throttle body i wouldnt see why id need bigger considering my intercooler inlet/outlet and charge piping is mostly 3" and the oulet on the compresser of a gt35r is only 2.5"

im not stroking the motor to 2.2l i thought about it was gonna do it but decided not to its being bored out .020 over personal desion nothing more (plus im cheap and already have my flywheel)

nitrous is my cup of tee 8)
lots of time to play with it on the old mans truck
but yes it's going to be a direct port fogger system
entering the intake manifold runners at a 70 degree incline (best flow characteristics we find) with a dedicated fuel pump engaged at full throttle kicking in at 4000rpm

im not going to be running meth injection just race fuel when im running high boost i will be making the large power on the spray so running afr's in the range of 9.5-10/1 cooling EVERYthing down and narrowing the chance of detenation

for the front mount again i will be making the big power on the spray
nitrous coming out of the bottle going into the intake manifold is -129 F (-89 C) cooling the charge emensly PLUS i set up a spray system (my purge system) with 4 nozzles directed at the intercooler so before a run on the 1/4 i can freeze the intercooler to a soild block if i like (expensive) yes but ALOT colder than ice and more effective less weight takes 0 room

the clutch yea i just didnt want to bite the bullet and spend more money i bought that clutch when the plan wasnt to make more than 500awhp
im looking at a triple disk exedy carbon on carbon on carbon

yea and your right it's a HUGE mind game hahaha trying to make everything work together perfectly and have an effecient setup is worth more than any amount of power rsx team is running mid 9's in the 1/4 with 447whp wrap your brain around that and it's fwd

BUT for tonights update

i cut out the floor panels in the hatch area (yes i cringed cutting up my rare car :cry: ) built the frame to mount my fuel cell and monster fuel pumps) and started making the aluminum replacement panels

i wanted to inset the fuel cell to near oem height BUT since the car is also a daily driver i bought a fuel cell that was somewhat practical and is just a bit to big

pics soon

stay tuned haha 8)

Denver_whiteST185

you may want to look into CO2 for your intercooler sprayer. works the same and a lot cheaper to refill. i wouldn't run an aluminum flywheel at the power levels your thinking about too.

should be interesting to see finished

Gino Merlot

Looks like you got a good game plan.
The only thing that I don't like,is the front Mount,I know you can freeze it with the fogger system,I use to have a kit. It worked ok. The funny thing is in my intake temps were cooler with the liquid to air setup with ice 38 degrees. Down here in FL,thats what most drag cars run,because its normally 96 degrees out on the Track,but my real enemy :cry: was Turbo Lag,exspecially with a AWD Car. You bog off the line or anything,the race is over when you start competing in that 10 sec below class.
That was the real reason I went to a Liquid to Air setup,no Turbo lag off my Turbonetics T-66.
I do like your setup,Give that Head everything you can give it,and you will see low to mid 10s,then comes tuning to the 9s

stevo27

you dont think the fidanza aluminum flywheel is up to snuff???
i wont be making anymore than 700whp haha i hope

specialy since one of my biggest worries it the head ripping off the 3s
block by the waterpump

i can't wait to get it finished either ive been taking the bus since august
it sucks getting up at 4 am to wait at a bus stop(especially in winter)

it sucks having a project dd :cry:

and thanks for the positive words guys :oops: