HELP JUST DID 3sgte swap and having troubles

mgtcelica

Hi i just finished getting my Jdm 3sgte that i got from a 92 celica alltrac
installed in my 93 gt celica

ok heres the problems
it idols at 1900 rpms im not quite sure if thats bad or if its cuz of my power steering vaccume line sensors that arent hooked up.

OK but the real problem is
if i floor the gas or jsut give it more than 1/2 throttle as soon as the engine revs to 3500 the check engine light comes on and the engines kinda dies for a second but doesnt stall just kinda sputters

but heres the part that confuses me, if i give the car less than 1/2 throttle and jsut let the engine slowly rev up. it doesnt sputter or stall

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

im kinda lost heree

Mafix

sounds like a terrible vacuum leak. i'd look there and stop running the hell out of it. also sounds like you are knocking.

mgtcelica

ok i did the diagnostic check

it said code 34 and code 35

which are the turbo pressure sensor

the vaccumm lines that go to my powersteering pump to tell the ecu when to idle up are broken could this be the problem

mgtcelica

ok 2 problems/ ideas

is it possible that i am having boost problems because i didnt put any exhaust on my car yet..

and i got the motor to kinda run correctly
but i think i blew out the diff in the center transfer case since i dont have a rear output shaft.
i think i broke that differental since i didnt give it any resistance.

please
help

evo

you're using the AWD tranny? and you didn't convert it to FWD?

That's a problem, there is lots of documentation on transmission options if not here check celicatech.com

You'll need a FWD transmission, you probably destroyed that one

mgtcelica

ok well if i remove the center transfercase and diff.
and install an axle shaft from a V6 camry will i be alright

syko says

what happened to your other tranny? the one that was originally in the car? automatic? manual? you can use the stock tranny, it bolts right up. given that its 5 speed. (dont quote me on that, im not very sure, but at the same time, i am sure lol)

mgtcelica

i replaced an automatic 5sfe
with a 5 speed jdm 3sgte
kept the alltrac tranny intact just removed the rear drive pinion out of the transfer case and made a plate to go over where it attached

Carolina91GT-S

mgtcelica":10wk9xcg said:
i replaced an automatic 5sfe
with a 5 speed jdm 3sgte
kept the alltrac tranny intact just removed the rear drive pinion out of the transfer case and made a plate to go over where it attached

If you do this then you must also switch the mode lever to FF mode, if you don't then the center differential will try to push all force to the rear wheels and you will go nowhere.

Carolina91GT-S

evo":rq3eeiw6 said:
you're using the AWD tranny? and you didn't convert it to FWD?

That's a problem, there is lots of documentation on transmission options if not here check celicatech.com

You'll need a FWD transmission, you probably destroyed that one

Why couldn't you use the AWD tranny if you move the mode selector lever to FF mode for front wheel drive and remove the pinion?

mgtcelica

well i did try putting it in 2 wheel drive mode i think thats with the selector down right? i took the rear end gear out of the transfer case and blocked off the back of it with a custom machined plate of aluminum

Carolina91GT-S

mgtcelica":357qgf7e said:
well i did try putting it in 2 wheel drive mode i think thats with the selector down right? i took the rear end gear out of the transfer case and blocked off the back of it with a custom machined plate of aluminum

FWD mode is with the lever all the way up. with the locking bolt in the bottom hole.

with the lever down it is in AWD mode and you won't go anywhere because the center diff is open.

Carolina91GT-S

evo":2deyiqxa said:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11171

This is a good read. What I was suggesting was that he couldn't use the transmission without converting it to fwd, I wasn't aware that he had already attempted to

I have read that and I think it would be a viable option for anyone wishing to spend as much on parts as another tranny would cost. MR2 LSD, MR2 axles, Diff cover, shifter cables...seems like a lot.

There is a difference between what that thread describes by "converting" it and what he seems to be attempting to do which is using it "as is" except selecting the FWD(FF) mode and removing the pinion. is this what you are doing mgtcelica? I think this will work, plenty of people say it won't but I have never heard of anyone who could say why mechanically. Everyone falls back on the BGB says not to run this way, but the BGB never considers that you would have the entire rear drivetrain removed and not have the drag associated with it present and not driven.

mgtcelica

OK GUYS HERES THE DEAL

i'm going to tell you what i learned tonight and i want you to give me the green light

ok, i pulled the motor, tranny and center diff out and appart

what broke is the aluminum locking mecinism that makes the car run in 2 wheel drive "for towing"...
ok now i know why it couldnt handle any torque

ok but heres the deal, if i take that diff, since i found out that i cant put in the camry axle since the tranny has a different main diff

ok i wanted to get my friend who is a professional welder. to permenently lock the center diff, by welding all of the parts of the diff together therefor making it like one big axle

GIVE ME THE GREEN LIGHT