08' Civic Si

xkirex

Sooo a co-worker of mine is flapping his gums about how his Civic si can spank the shit outta my 20yr car. anywho, soon enough we are gunna put it to the test. Im just wondering what you guys think

Current mods. Straight Intake, 10-12psi, JDM 3S. and soon to have full motoria exhaust. still using WTA intercooler

Corey

Just looked up the specs.

Has fairly low torque it seems :shrug: only 139 ft*pounds

It weights 1336 kg, 2945 lbs curb weight.

With a HP of 197.

thats a power to weight ratio of 147.45 bhp/tonne

ST165 with a 2nd gen JDM? or 1st gen? and are you using the JDM ecu?

on the stock USDM ST165, power to weight ratio is 128 bhp/tonne, but it has Far more torque.

If its a 2nd gen engine with JDM ECU, and assuming it isnt producing its full potential anymore, maybe down to 215bhp? it would be around 245-250 bhp.

with the same weight, thats a ratio of 168 bhp/tonne, so thats an extra 20 bhp/tonne on the civic. with even more torque.

But the honda has a rev limit and more gears.

I really have no idea lol

evo

the best way to handle these situations is to agree
"yeah, you're right your car would probably own mine, it's brand new and that vtek is pretty amazing technology"

then one day put him in his place on the way home

follow up the next morning
"oh wow, i really thought your new car would have more balls than that, maybe you should take it in for service?"

arguing about who's car is faster is pretty gay :twisted:

bloodMoney

evo":y3gin0bw said:
the best way to handle these situations is to agree
"yeah, you're right your car would probably own mine, it's brand new and that vtek is pretty amazing technology"

then one day put him in his place on the way home

follow up the next morning
"oh wow, i really thought your new car would have more balls than that, maybe you should take it in for service?"

arguing about who's car is faster is pretty gay :twisted:

lol +1

This is the easiest way to shut people up. Personally, I like doing this because I get to sit there and watch them squirm until they actually catch me on the street...

Don't get caught off guard though, Its scary how the GF's RSX pulls all the way to the redline. When I drive it hard, since there isn't any drop-off, I hit the limiter through the first 3 gears... :twisted:

~bloodMoney

SuperWhite92

Straightline it could be a race.

Around a course, you'll lose. Sounds strange, I know, but the new new Si's are really hilariously fast around a course.

Assuming drivers are equal, that is.

lumbercis

I'm unclear from your post what kind of engine you have. Is it a JDM 1st gen or JDM 3rd gen?

Anyway, if you have the intercooling for it and you could turn up the boost to 15 or 16psi with a full exhaust, you'd beat him like a redheaded stepchild.

J.

lumbercis

^But you are using the WTA intercooler from the stock 1st gen engine? In that case, you'd need to upgrade your intercooler with either a FMIC or 3rd gen WTA to really be able to turn up the boost.

Of course, you could just ignore the kid. I'd race him with the car as it sits. If he beats you, great. He can tell his friends he beat a 20 year old car with his brand new car. I'm sure they will be impressed.

If he loses, then he looks like a moron for talking smack and then losing to you. So either way, you win.

If he wants to run from a roll, make sure you brake boost so he doesn't get any advantage from your turbo lag. If you can get him to race from a dig, even better.

J.

The best response is not to open your mouth too much and take the high road for now, until you see him on the road and just evaluate his ability as a driver.

Coming from the vtec world, doesn't matter if its a Civic, a typeR, or an S2K, if you don't know how to drive your car utilizing how vtec works, how to launch, etc. straightline battles are a toss up. there is no relacement for displacement...and torque in this respect. But if he knows what he's doing then you're up for a realistic dissappointment my friend. I think that is the biggest glaring difference i found when goin from vtec mentality to 3sgte technology. I will say that those Honda guys really know how to ring every ounce of hp from their engine in stock trim. I have not been in a honda/acura that doesn't pull hard all whe way up the redline. In fact i have to shake that habit since the stock ct26 runs out of breath 1500K before redline. That and the age/reliabilty of my particular powerplant is still being answered; so i actaully get gun shy winding her up because i don't want any issues so soon in my ownership. That and the my freaking HKS exhaust (those of you who have gotten to know me) is crazy loud (in a bad way for me) at high revs that it just seems wrong. Sad to say, but at thise point in my newbie ownership, it doesn't inspire confidence in me...yet. It also has to do with me not being an ignorant 20something anymore. I just think too much about bustin up my new ride and having to deal with that so soon when i haven't even gotten to warm up to her yet:)

A long story short. Never under-estimate those Vtec guys, unless you have some decent modes, know how to drive your car, or have a 6 or 8cylinder:) And forget about toying with them in the twistys. Like someone said, our car's glory is in the wet, snow and loose ground:) fwd vtecs, forgetaboutit!

Coming from your humble ex vtec worshipper

cheers

hacker_720

^ more on what he said.

I also drive a Acura 3.2tl as my daily, and man I have to admit, it really feels fast sometimes. not off the line, cause it's "one-wheel-drive" but on the highway it really pulls. I would say almost as much as my friend's caddy STS. I would NEVER corner as fast as I would in the 'trac, cause it's a 3.2tl not a civic or an RSX, but on straightaways I would say she's bordering on being a sleeper.

( I know is Simba reads this he is gonna laugh at me)

what about top speed? or high-speed on the highway? I now the tracs are pretty strong at 140km/h+ hows the civic?

smog7

to put it simply, our cars are old. if you up the boost and mess around without doing the necessary 20 year old car maintenance then you will end up with some very high repair bills.

turbo4wd

SuperWhite92":2gasg6vk said:

Around a course, you'll lose. Sounds strange, I know, but the new new Si's are really hilariously fast around a course.

Did you happen to catch the new Best Motoring where they run the new Type-R Civic around the track and it ended up with a time that was in NSX-R territory? And this was a Type R SEDAN...

ahh, the 3.2TL. What year do you have? i just let mine go in December. I tell you that car was a nice 4door. The 6spd stick with the brembos up front was a sweet ride for in any price range really. in the twisties its a big car for sure but i've thrown my TL around with confidence. Hopefully by the summer i will have my RC in top working order and have built confidence in the car for me to fully enjoy it:) I can't be foolish and push my luck with the car since its my daily driver and i'm still locking down my budgets for maintanence/repair and for upgrades; sourcing good parts suppliers etc.

SuperWhite92

turbo4wd":31v0hgjc said:
SuperWhite92":31v0hgjc said:

Did you happen to catch the new Best Motoring where they run the new Type-R Civic around the track and it ended up with a time that was in NSX-R territory? And this was a Type R SEDAN...

It was downright hilarious. My roommate is a huge honda fan (He drives an H22/23 powered Accord Coupe or an S2000 depending on season) so he buys every honda-oriented BMI they let out.

Gave me even more respect for what I consider the underdog. Whoda thunk an iteration of the most basic of honda's automobiles is in fact one of their fastest.

CSAlltrac

I have alot of freinds that worship honda and vtech and are alway talkin smack.I look at it this way if your looking at an older honda 90s for example,all the ones that are fast have a different motor than what came factory.I always joke around and tell them hondas are like legos....very easy to work on and very easy to make fast.I dont know about some of you guys but i love the challenge of making a 16 or 20 year old car with technology way ahead of its time fast,i mean you have to know what your doing to get power out of our cars.The new ones are of course gonna have an advantage on us their R and D is fresh.

hacker_720

5thgenbliss":1wslsqkf said:
ahh, the 3.2TL. What year do you have? i just let mine go in December. I tell you that car was a nice 4door. The 6spd stick with the brembos up front was a sweet ride for in any price range really. in the twisties its a big car for sure but i've thrown my TL around with confidence. Hopefully by the summer i will have my RC in top working order and have built confidence in the car for me to fully enjoy it:) I can't be foolish and push my luck with the car since its my daily driver and i'm still locking down my budgets for maintanence/repair and for upgrades; sourcing good parts suppliers etc.

Oh, no, nothing as nice as that, I have the first gen 3.2tl, it's a 96, automatic. I wish it was the type s with the 6-speed. But I just use it for my daily driver, it's got 270 000kms on it and not a thing wrong with it, the leather is still like new, I've been really impressed with it and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a "beater"

88st165

killer_siller has an 07 si sedan.... maybe ill ask him to run it against my trac, but my car is not really "stock" (though i like to say it is) so i guess that wont help with your situation at all.... but im still gen1 motor and your gen2 so maybe it might be a similar comparison :shrug: