Project "Ressurection, take 2" UPDATED 15/01/14

gt4tified

Ever since I bought the car it was a project since it was bought without an engine and I had to buy an mr2 (sw20 turbo) 3sgte and then hunt for 6 mths for parts to get it running.... :cry:

Then I lost my job and had to shelve it for another five months to change the clutch and got scammed by a young guy who knew his stuff but couldn't manage jack shit....more :cry:

So after all that, I've only now gotten a permanent job and have started getting the cash sponge to where it should be. :twisted:

So if you guys have similar headache and heartache feel free to post here. :wink:

fhalperformance

my first trac i bought and by the time i got home, the motor and turbo were toast. i thought, no big deal i paid a fair price for what i got so i picked up a new engine from a rolled alltrac and brought it to a long time friend of the family's shop to have him do the swap. When i went to pick it up parts had been 'mysteriously' ground off, car had new found electrical problems, the car wasnt completely put back together (i was lucky the engine ran at all), and they told me to never bring the car back lol.

gt4tified

simonsaysyousuck":2qqngooj said:
my first trac i bought and by the time i got home, the motor and turbo were toast. i thought, no big deal i paid a fair price for what i got so i picked up a new engine from a rolled alltrac and brought it to a long time friend of the family's shop to have him do the swap. When i went to pick it up parts had been 'mysteriously' ground off, car had new found electrical problems, the car wasnt completely put back together (i was lucky the engine ran at all), and they told me to never bring the car back lol.

wow...that must've been some ordeal. Big man as I am, if I was in your shoe, I may have just sat down and :cry:

gt4tified

Okay, so just to update since my last post, the new things that are on the car now.

XS Power 3" downpipe - thanks to someone here (sorry, can't remember ur name)

ACT Clutch, Pressure Plate, throwout bearing - the clutch and pp thanks to Simba!

Resurfaced flywheel - I think they took off too much because sometimes (half the time really) the entire car shudders as its accelerating in the lower gears.

SpeedSource billet aluminium shifter knob and valve cover bolt set (hey, what's a little rice huh?)

Autometer carbonfibre series egt and water temp gauges.

Apex'i AVC-R ebc - thanks to Mafix!

Denso dizzy cap and NGK Plug wires - thanks to Nigel!

MSD BlasterSS coil

New 205/50/15 nexens all round (amazing grip!)

Megan Racing Lowering Springs and new (front) KYB GR-2 cartridges with buffers and 0.5" rubber spring seats.

I got the chance to dyno a couple of weeks ago and based on my curve (see sig), I have a little tuning to do (new ignition components were not in yet) and a loooong way to go before I get the car to where I want.

I hope to got to dyno soon, but I have to repair an exhaust leak, sort out the shudder on the clutch and change fuel/oil filters before that.

gt4rcdude

If it shudders, you probably got grease or oil on the flywheel. Probably from the thro out bearing. Don't ask me how I know this.

gt4tified

Well the throwout bearing is a brand new original ACT one that I bought from the ACT dealer, so I'd hate to think that it's failed without even having the clutch broken in yet. :shrug:

Anyway, update again, my 3" downpipe to 2.5" full custom turboback is done but on the way home from picking up the car, I blew my turbo gasket so I have not really gotten to properly hear the new exhaust yet!

gt4tified

Took the CS for a spin on Saturday after getting new 205/50/15's all round. Hit speed cut at 182km/h in 3pm miami-like sun and then (thank goodness for autometer water temp and egt gauges) my radiator fan took a piss on me and my clutch is really low ( I'm 99% sure its the slave cylinder since it only builds pressure properly when the car heats up good and proper) So that's my work for this Saturday! I can't wait! :D

gt4tified

Wow! Its been a while since I'v updated so here goes.

Sorted clutch problem for the most part, as long as the car warms up properly it gets nice and stiff but I'm still hating the pedal feel so thanks to etantshi (Andre) I will be going back to stock soon.

I had a lot of fuel woes which led to a new fuel pump that failed after 1mile of driving so in went the old one (also Walbro which was still working but with nearly 5 years use on it I thought it needed changing) with a new filter.

Water pump took a piss on me so in changing I checked the timing belt, amazingly still looking like new, the writing on the belt was worn off but you could still read the info, so I'm guessing it was changed in Japan or that the engine was quite low mileage. I'm guessing the latter due to the condition the turbo was in.

My immediate plans for the car before the end of the year, if the parts arrive in time will be the clutch and flywheel change, going with a mr2 stock bpv, devils own water injection, new PS pump seal (leaking a bit), oil change (engine & tranny), and some tuning on the dyno. If Santa reads my letter, I may be getting either a CT20b, coilovers or both (but I don't think I was THAT nice this year)! Seasons Greetings to all!

gt4tified

Update: Clutch took a dump on me last week. Dropped the tranny yesterday and the teeth on the clutch disc were worn almost smooth.....did a little bit of damage to wearing away the output shaft too (0.5mm) but I put in a new oem clutch and pressure plate and it feels 100% better!

gt4tified

Other update since....the clutch is almost totally broken in...I put about 300km or so on it since installing. I'm now attempting some gear slippage on accelerating, holding well so far.

My front left wheel bearing crapped out on me, I fixed that yesterday and now I drive and wait for the next thing to piss me off. :p

bloodMoney

Did you pull the motor in order to do the clutch? I've got this job staring me in the face and I really dont want to pull the motor again... I'm just looking to see how hard it is to get this job done, motor in car...

~bloodMoney

gt4tified

Nope....just tranny alone and using one teensy hydraulic jack and two scissors jacks and some real manpower and got the job done in a few hours!

gt4tified

Update:

The mr2bpv is now installed in recirculating mode. If there was a way to hide the FMIC, I'd be as sleeper as a ST-series celica could get.

The next two installs are to be the catch can and water injection, followed by a FPR when I can afford to get one.

gt4tified

Big Update.....I've decided to build the car for autocross.

I have a fair idea of how crappy my current suspension on the GTFOUR is and where I would like it to be. Apart from being the oldest AWD car to compete locally, most of the evos and sti's are hardly ever stock, some being full time-attack set-up!

I have decided to plunge some sizeable cash into it to really get the car to compete properly against the other AWD's etc in class. I'm shooting for a reliable, lightened car that will consistently hold 15 psi on the auto-x track, while maintaining as wide a powerband as possible.

So this is what I have planned, please chime in to help me:

Head:
Decarbonize, mild port and polish, genIII valve springs, TTE HG, ARP headstuds, Single adjustable cam-gear on the exhaust cam, full gasket & hose change (OEM), bored fuel rail, afpr.

Block & Turbo:
New OEM Piston Rings, crank balanced & micropolished, new main seals, new main bearings, block exterior steam-cleaned & painted, CT20b, new braided coolant and oil lines.

Engine Management:

ROM Tune.

Suspension & wheels:
Rear strut brace, underbody brace, Coilovers, new front control arms, poly sway-bar bushings, twosrus endlinks, upgraded (11.625") rotors and calipers, 16x7 rims (38mm offset), steel braided brake lines.

Weight reduction:

All seats removed, single racing seat, fibreglass front fenders, moonroof removed, maybe carbon fibre hood.

gt4tified

Update again...

The Spartan is getting re-painted...any guess as to what colour? I'll leave you all in suspense for now.

I've sold the water injection kit, but may get another. I'll be getting the AFPR and bored fuel rail in by month's end, as well as some new braided brake lines, re-freshed calipers.

My Cobra racing seat has to be installed, and I have the SSR Integral A2 16" ready to put on.

Waiting on Conrad to make his next batch of underbody braces and after that, it'll be some type of rom tune or piggyback. Need to get me some adjustable shocks as well.

Terracar

Wow nice - going all out for the autox build? Color - my guess is periwinkle!

Oh and I have to add...

THISISSPARTAgood.gif

-Terracar

gt4tified

Thanks Terracar! Love the clip! Wait till you see what I'm gonna do to my helmet!

Well the car will still be my DD but will be worthy to keep up with the others in my class for auto-x. But don't expect anything close to Marteen's build....that car is just WOW!!! :oops:

gt4tified

19/10/2009 Update:

Taking bets ppl!

Just bought a fully built engine from a local guy who built it to rally in his FWD toyota runx but the engine proved too powerful to control. He only did two rallies with

Honestly speaking I got a good deal since if I tried to accumulate all the parts he has it would be almost twice what I paid for it.

So I will be doing the swap soon and would like to know what this engine is capable of at maybe 20 psi on pump gas. Anyone wants to venture a guess???

Here's what the build looks like:

JDM Gen II head and block
JE pistons .020" over
ARP headstuds, rodbolts and flywheel bolts\
OEM gen II rods
Micropolished and glazed crankshaft
ACL race bearings
MHG
lightened flywheel
new waterpump, oil pump & timing belt
HKS 272 In. & Ex. camshafts
Adjustable cam gears
Ferrea Dual valvesprings
Titanium retainers & locators
Supra 550cc injectors
TVIS delete and phenolic spacer
Modified genII intake manifold
Garrett T3/T4 turbo .63 turbine and 60trim compressor
HKS external wastegate
custom exhaust manifold and plumbed dump-pipe (2.5")
Link EMS

gt4tified

Update:

In changing the t-belt, water pump and oil pump, when the sump was removed, the oil strainer gasket got damaged so I had to order a new one which took me about 3 days to get. The guy who's doing the work on it should deliver the engine sometime today, then the work begins on swapping out the old one and putting in the new one.

I am also changing my transmission to another one which is supposed to be lower mileage and in better shape than my current one (Brass rings worn).

I bought a SARD fuel pressure reg. yesterday and sent the fuel rail to be bored out. I also bought a rear strut brace, 3/4" wheel spacers and extended wheel studs. I am also waiting on my whiteline rear sway bar to be shipped from 935.