El Mirage Dry Lake Bed

solarinsocal

Hey everyone, a couple of us are planning on a ride out to El Mirage on this coming Sunday to do some safe drifting if anyone wants to come out and get their car dirty. Lumbercis (cough, cough)! :D

lumbercis

Hmm, intriguing.... What time would we get back? I'm supposed to go to an office Christmas party this Sunday evening.

J.

solarinsocal

Generally we leave about 8 and get back at about 2. It all depends on my buddy's 350Z. If he burns through his tires quick, that's when we leave. :D

lumbercis

Burns through his tires? I just got new tires! I'm not going to kill them running around out there am I?

So I'd need to be in ontario at 8? Pm me your address.

J.

solarinsocal

Ha ha, no, we won't be burning through our tires. I've gone out there with him three times and have had no perceptible difference in tread depth. Remember AWD drifts differently from RWD. We don't have the horsepower to be spinning all four of our tires continuously. :(

I'll give you a call today about time and place to meet up. By the way 8 is in Torrance so we'll meet you somewhere along the way at probably around 9. Ontario Mills Mall may be a good place to hook up.

Anybody else?

ummmiono

hey this sounds like fun how about a small meet there? i rarely see another all-trac, you guys still doing this?

solarinsocal

Sorry, no-can-do. The reasons are two-fold. One, I blew my headgasket and am in need of a rebuild, two, when there is rain El Mirage closes until all of the water dries up and the surface hardens. The good news is that by the time all of the water dries up my car should be ready to go drift. :D

ummmiono

and my car should be ready to do anyhting, hasnt run since ive owned it. do they let you drift at el mirage? i thought you werent allowed to do anything that could damage the surface. my friend said he got a ticket for dropping his bike and the lever dug into the ground. your not even supposed to spin tires. this is waht ive always been told anyways.

solarinsocal

Wow that's harsh. At any rate, "let" might be a loose term. I haven't had any problems with anybody as of yet. I think going during the weekdays in the morning when no one is out is a good bet. During the weekends there's just too many people and it's dangerous. High speed drifting isn't as hard on the surface as doing burnouts in one spot or low speed drifting. I was teaching one of my buddies who is a beginner so we were at low speeds and pretty much in the same spot and after awhile we did begin to drop through the hard surface so we moved on. The rest of us drift at about 60 miles per hour so I guess we distribute the tire stress on more pavement which is better. I have heard that rumor about the ticket though and I hear it's pretty high. Still better and safer than drifting on public streets.

ummmiono

yeah its supposed to be very expensive. i understand the reason for it though. its for the top speed racers. when youre going for landspeed records you dont wanna hit ruts at 200+mph or even at lower speeds. still sucks for us though. last time i was riding there i got caught in a half hour dust storm, couldnt see more than 10ft in front of me it was pretty fun. well when u guys go hit me up!

ummmiono

hopefully it will be ive been on a parts buying binge the past few days. some guy crashed it and messed up some suspension then let it sit for 3 years. so i bought it replaced the fuel pump and she ran! but had blown turbo seals and badly blown head gasket, did hg job ran great for 2 days then the head seized up. lost alot of money by trying to half ass things. so decided to put in storage and wait until i could fully rebuild. someone here gave me an old motor and alot of extra parts for free! so ive been doing all the work to the "new" motor. just waiting on pistons and rods then its all machining and assembly. late march will be tight but its possible.