Custom front and rear big brake kit

gt4rcdude

A few weeks ago I ordered some discs from Wilwood. I wanted an affordable big brake kit that included the rear. In order to save money, time and headache I decided to use the stock calipers. The mechanical advantage of the larger rotors combined with the added thermal capacity should net a big improvement.

Major progress the last few days. Went up to NJ to help with the machining. The first picture is the stock front rotor on the lathe being turned down to make it into a rotor hat.

First cuts were to get to the proper outside diameter to fit inside the new disc.

Photo_022008_001.jpg

Now cutting down the back of the rotor:

Photo_022108_004.jpg

Internal cooling fins: (yes, these were nearly new Brembo rotors) :eek:

Photo_022108_006.jpg

This is the new rotor on it's new hat before we drilled the mounting holes:

327mmx25mm

Photo_022008_003.jpg

The rear rotor was cut down the same way. Here we are cutting down the back of the rotor to give the new disc a true surface to mount.

Photo_022008_004.jpg

On the milling machine getting the mounting holes:

Photo_022108_005.jpg

The holes all done. This is when we realized the bolt heads interfered with the bell of the rotor:

Photo_022108_001.jpg

Back on the milling machine for some sexy slots for clearance:

Photo_022108_008.jpg

This is a crummy shot of the trial fit of the rear disc. The rear rotor is only 1/4 of an inch larger than the stocker, however I now have a 2 piece rotor with a replaceable $66 disc.

ADDED: These discs ended up not working out. They foul the dust shield too much.

Photo_022108_002.jpg

We did both sides of the car simultaneously. Of course grade 8 bolts will be used. I'll probably end up just painting the hats. Powder coat would add too much thickness and anodizing isn't an option. Next engineering feat will be the caliper mounting system.

More to come. . .

gt4rcdude

Well, looks like the stock caliper isn't going to work. The OEM caliper is going to foul the inside of the wheel. Oh well, it's only money.

Ordered 4 Wilwood calipers, 4 sets of pads and two rotors today. All to the tune of $700. That brings the total so far to $1100. The only thing that remains is brake lines as the Wilwoods use an NPT fitting for the fluid input instead of a banjo bolt. Brake balance should be close to stock. Here's the breakdown. . .

Front OEM caliper is 2.25" diameter for a total of 3.97 sq. in.
Wilwoods at 1.62" diameter X2 for a total of 4.12 sq. in. Part no#120-8465L & R. Forged Billet Superlight.

Rear OEM caliper is 1.37" diameter for a total of 1.47 sq. in.
Wilwoods at 1.00" diameter X2 for a total of 1.57 sq. in. Part no#120-9706 Billet Dynapro Lug Mount.

While other big brake kits use larger front pistons, some owners note longer pedal travel, which I want to avoid. Some say they can modulate the braking better, but I'd rather do it myself. I'm more concerned with keeping the brake bias correct. I want to leave the stock master cylinder in as well.

Updates as progress continues. . .

gt4rcdude

New update!

Went to NJ this passed weekend to try to button up the brake system. Would have had it done but we ran out of steel. The good news is the front system is finished and just needs hardware. I'll hopefully be picking up some AN hardware tomorrow at the local aircraft supply store.

Front mockup. I still need to bead blast and paint the hats. . .

frontmockup1.jpg

Do these brakes make my wheels look phat? :)

frontmockup2.jpg

Here's a mockup of the rear setup. The brackets for the calipers should be finished by the end of the week. In this setup the bolts enter the hat from the rear into the threaded holes of the disc. The venting is hung over the inside to pull the rear caliper out for mounting clearance. This also prevents any modification to the dust shield.

rearmockup2.jpg

ADDED: In order for these discs to slide down the parking brake drum, we had to machine down the outside of the drum a few thousandths.

rearmockup1.jpg

Next up is the brake lines. As soon as I can fully mock up the fronts (I need grade 8 bolts) I'll be grabbing the brake lines. More to come. . .

robolt

Nice job!

What Wilwood rotors did you end up with front and rear? P/N?

You could get the hats you machined zinc chromate plated.
Or even something like JetHot.

I had done a number of parts in the past zinc chromate plated (zinc plated chromate dipped).

I have ST205 calipers for the F/R, did the ST205 rear rotor. And was going to to the hats and wilwood rotors for the front. Mock up a hat from an original rotor.

...robolt

silence

gt4rcdude, can you post your findings on the brake line adapters you are using. Im guessing if you already have stainless lines all you need is an adapter to fit the line to the caliper...that is all i will need when i finish mine.

gt4rcdude

Rear Rotor: 160-5844
Front Rotor:160-7597 & -7598

Calipers have a 1/8-27 NPT hole. No real way to "adapt" them to OEM style braided lines. If you were to cut off the banjo fitting to install an adapter, the line would be too short. Especially since the caliper is farther away due to the larger diameter of the disc. Any local hydraulic line making shop could make the lines. However NO shop will make them if you tell them it's for a car. Race car, street car or any car. Just bring in your lines, tell them you need them 3" longer with a 1/8-27 NPT on the end. If they ask, remember, it's not for a car. Period. Of course I'll want an adapter on the end of the line so I don't have to pull the fitting out of the caliper every time I want to remove it.

On a side note. I weighed the front calipers. The OEM's weigh 11.5 lbs. The Wilwoods weigh 6lbs.

camry90

how did you proceed to mock up a bracket for the caliper? what part number are the front caliper? do you have a picture of the bracket? thanks

gt4rcdude

Update!

Spent some more $$$ today. Aeroquip fittings, paint, AN bolts, Grade 8 bolts. Got enough to do a full mock up on the front to measure required brake line lengths. It's so nice living in a big city sometimes. DOT braided lines? In stock in multiple sizes. 1/8-27NPT to AN-3? In stock, 10mm/1mm pitch to AN-3? In stock. Grade 8 bolts? What size and length sir?

Here's the front brackets after paint. The two inner bolt holes are threaded for a little extra security between the two welded pieces. After paint. . .

P1000870.jpg

Before paint and the initial mockup.

P1000866.jpg

My hand should give you an idea of how big these calipers are!

P1000867.jpg

On the car after paint. . .

P1000873.jpg

Mockup on the car with the caliper. . .

P1000865.jpg

Painted hat and all mounted up!

P1000877.jpg

P1000875.jpg

With the wheel. Still have 3/4" of clearance on the caliper to wheel distance.

P1000881.jpg

It was starting to get dark. This is the last pic before clean up. The pics don't do it justice on how big that disc and caliper look!

P1000878.jpg

Up tomorrow is the rear. Although I still haven't received the rear caliper brackets yet, but I can get the rotor/hat assembly mocked up. The AN hardware should be here Thursday. Got some safety wiring to do when it gets here!

Stay tuned!

Luni

John did you retain your use of your emergency brake?

Big issue to some peeps when doing a big brake kit.

gt4rcdude

Luni":3my3t2h6 said:
John did you retain your use of your emergency brake?

Big issue to some peeps when doing a big brake kit.

Of course, did you expect anything less!

The rear rotor hat is the OEM unit machined to accept the disc. Parking brake system is unaffected. :D

Denver_whiteST185

CMS-GT4":1pjeynty said:
Its a shame no one offers those rear hats for sale.

it really is. That would really take out the hardest part of building a kit like yours or getting rotors adapted correctly for ST205 calipers so that the front and rear are correct bolt ons without centerbore or offset problems.