How many of you...

Flying Bajan

Have a tachometer issue with your cars ? Is this as common as I've been led to beleive ? What causes them to stop working ? If I install a new tach, how long should it last before acting up again ?

WarTowels

Both of my tachs are fine also.

Both my speedo's occasionally make a buzzing noise, mostly when it's very cold.

-Towels

bloodMoney

Mine works great most of the time. There are occasions though, where the tach will be dead for about 5~10 minutes of driving, then it'll suddenly wake up and work fine the rest of the drive... I really doesn't bother me much. I think its because I've only driven the car for about a month since having bought her 2 years ago...

~bloodMoney

Flying Bajan

This car has had a problem with the tach for a long time now - even before I bought it. It simply refuses to work. Dennis Heath (past owner) has changed out the tach for another (used) one and it'll work for a while and then stop again he says.

I want my tach to work !!! It is extremely frustrating to not be able to find the source of this problem.

Gary

If Dennis can't fix this, I don't know who can. :doh:
Have you check the continuity of the tac signal wire.
It is the black one from igniter to the combination meter.

monkninja

my tach doesn't move at all anymore, it was acting crazy for a couple weeks then dropped dead and hasn't moved since... thanks for the links for troubleshooting!

tubasteve

as far as the speedo i have found on both my cars the cable going to the trans it brakes at the end...crusie is the cheap one, $12.xx is what i just paid 2 months ago. also my shaft inside the houseing going to the trans, both jobs are easy just dont do it with the car hot ;)