Changing your gauge backlighting color

WarTowels

Hey, a bit old.

I removed my cig lighter to reroute the adapter.

I don't remember exactly how I did it. It was a little weird. I had to just keep turning it in different directions and sorta jiggling it around. Careful, some of the plastic is fragile... not sure if that helps.

-Towels

aych

yes! i finally re-found this thread. was wondering if anyone knew if you placed 2 colors of bulbs for backlighting on a 1990 alltrac dash, you would get a 2 toned dash?

sbart83

can anyone describe the same method, but on a 165 dash cluster? what are the differences between the 4th and 5th gen bulbs? which LEDs are recomended for a st165?

aus jd 2703

how much difference is there between fully dimmed and fully bright?
i find on like drive i barely have dash lights on is this possible?

klue

st165 uses the same types 94, 74. I had to heavily modify my cluster to get a decent light output

sbart83

what do you mean by heavily modify? i looked on the back of the 165 cluster. i calculated i will need:
4X WLED x 5 LED wedge base bulbs for back lighting
4X WLED x 5 LED wedge base bulbs (in white) for turn signal, high beam, and low fuel lights
9X #74 wedge base bulbs for dummy lights in white

the super bright led website is great, found the lights right away. they say also that there can be a flashing problem for the turn signals due to the low voltage usage, any problems for anyone?

now also they say a red lens will filter out all colors but the red color in the spectrum of light. going by this, would you use the bulbs that correspond to which warning bulb on the cluster? for example

165 CEL- amber-------> use amber bulb?
165 seatbelt light- red--------> red bulb?

catch my drift?

klue

I had to open the cluster and modify the light distributors to get the output i wanted. I also had to remove the opaque paint on the back of the gauge face