Adjusting the Clutch Pedal

toayoztan

I changed out my clutch master cylinder the other day, and also happened to changed out my little bro's on his 240sx.

Of course the clutch pedal needed to be adjusted, but I started thinking about the different ways people adjust their clutch pedals. I'm not asking HOW to adjust, i'm wondering what has been known to be good, bad, and preferred.

Is there a standard proper way universal to most cars? I realize there's the BGB, but i'm asking on a general basis.

Is there a "best" way to adjust for racing? For 1/4 mile racing vs auto-x? If so, why?

Or is it all personal preference?

I was curious what all your insights are into this. I hear several things as far as "get rid of all free play off the floor," "you want free play," to "you want the clutch to fully disengage asap."

Thanks, and hopefully this comes to help others out! I feel adjusting the clutch can help make the car more enjoyable and this is something a lot of owners tend to either ignore as they feel it doesn't change much or they simply just don't know.

Bryan

darthripley

i would say a lot of it has to do with personal preference.

joe & i both like free play in the pedal.
i like it because on a hard launch i feel i can modulate the clutch better to allow the tires to only spin once or twice to get grip and then go.
it's also comfortable for both us for auto-x and regular street driving.

i suppose if you did lots of 1/4 mile drag racing, say for instance bracket racing, then you would want as much free play gone as possible as you would want an on/off clutch to eliminate any unnecessary time between engagement and disengagement.

hope that makes sense.

Mafix

i keep only about a 1/4" of free play from the floor. but then i drag race mine. it's more preference i think.

smog7

I am finding myself pressing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor more often... im guessing this is bad. how exactly do you adjust it? simply turn the nut at the top of the clutch pedal assembly?

Simba

I have mine set up to release near the top of the travel, last inch or so, largely so it's similar to all my other cars that have fairly long travel race pedals.

fruci101

Could you let me know where you got this clutch pedal assembly? I am having a hard time finding this for my alltrac