My "Nothing Crazy" Project (Picture Dump Page 14)

TheNubkins

abraxxa":2ng0yhik said:
Wonderful rims! Which are those?

Thanks. They are actually a very cheap set of wheels compared to a lot of what's out there. They are Sport Edition KM11's 17x8 with a 35mm offset and they weigh 23lbs each. I am running H&R Trak+ 25mm spacer on the rears to flush them to the fenders. The pictures I posted on the first page of this project thread shows how they sat in the wheel wells before the spacers and before the Teins.

I'm going to have to roll the rear fenders coming up here as I noticed a small amount of rubbing when going over large bumps, and when cornering faster than one should. :twisted:

Autobot":2ng0yhik said:
How much was shipping on those Teins? Did you have to pay any duty charges on them?

Total cost including shipping for the Teins came out to $1560 to Edmonton Canada. I purchased them from Rocketeer Performance. I think the duty on them was only around $40.

Tazka":2ng0yhik said:
Nice car.
How do you like the teins compared to stock?

I'm very happy with the Teins for a street setup. I don't have any plans to use the car for racing, but from what I can tell they would do quite decently on the track. For the money they are great, although depending on how rough your roads are you might find them to be a little stiff. I'm used to the rougher ride now and feel that it's a fair compromise to make as the car feels glued to the road under hard cornering. Like I've mentioned before rear squat under acceleration is gone, as is nose dive under hard braking.

Another modification I now have planned for the car is a BayArea TMIC to replace my stock unit when I install the KO SB46 turbo kit.

P.S. Tazka, I've seen a few of the pictures you've posted of your car and I'll have to admit some of your nicer pics have spent more than a few days as the desktop background until my wife changed it. You've got a great looking car, and the photography skills to show it off. That's something I must work on. :)

TheNubkins

Here's a very small update. Thanks to my neighbour my alarm system has been fixed so I no longer need to replace it...therefore I now have some peace-of-mind leaving the car parked outside. As well I have officially ordered up a new BayArea Top Mount Intercooler. As soon as the intercooler comes in expect more pictures as usual. This car sure is eating up a lot of money...but I'm enjoying it. After everything mechanical is finished with the car I will enjoy it for a while before continuing with all the picky cosmetic details I plan to address.

Kcman91gts

Wow those wheel spacers along with the drop on those tiens gives you a very aggressive stance very nice , may to shovel out some more money to get those instead of Ground controls.

TheNubkins

Here's another update. I'll first start by saying that anyone in the Edmonton area looking for a great shop wouldn't be making a mistake by going to AFI Performance. (EDIT: STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!)They lent me their fender roller for free and from what I've seen they do top notch work and have quite a bit of space to work with. Anything I can't do myself or can't have my usual shop do(they charge me 60 bucks an hour) I'll be having AFI Performance do(EDIT: STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!).

I rolled the rear fenders and it worked beautifully as I have no hint of tire rub even when bottoming out. The paint chipped just a little on the first try but I partially blame that on the chipping that had already occurred thanks to the rubbing of the tire.

An update on the water cooled Street Brawler turbo kit from KO Racing is...well...it still hasn't shipped. Kris contacted me promptly after I e-mailed him asking what the status was on the whole thing and he stated that his turbo supplier was having delays and hopefully he will be shipping me the kit within 7-10 business days. I really would love to get this thing installed.

After reading a post by "sims" regarding his recent purchase of a Bay Area TMIC I got curious. "Simba" gave the intercooler a good review so I went and ordered one up(without telling my wife...muah ha ha). I received the intercooler 3 days ago(my wife found out and I got a spanking) and have mixed feelings about it. I'll start off with the good things first. The build quality looked quite nice, the welds were good, the end tanks were nice and polished and the inlet and outlet pipes had a nice raised ring/rib around the edge to help the hose get a better grip when installed. Now the only bad thing I can say about this intercooler was not a result of the fabrication process...but rather that of either USPS or Canada Post because my intake pipe had a nice dent on the underside of the opening. It wasn't a round opening any more...and I was too ashamed of it to take a picture to post on here. :oops:

Now to offset any negativity about what I'm going to write next I'll say something nice: The performance gain from switching to this intercooler over the stock intercooler at factory boost settings was noticeable. It's not a HUGE leap, but I can tell it pulls a bit harder despite a smidge more turbo lag.

Now for the bad. The position of the outlet pipe on the intercooler should have been moved over further to the left so that the entire intercooler core could be exposed to the hood air scoop...and because the whole thing doesn't line up as is. This causes the intercooler to sit on an angle and it's quite noticeable. I HOPE that the SB46 turbo kit fits different than the stock turbo so that the intercooler will line up nicer...but I'm not holding my breath. After tearing up my old rubber hose fittings with the oversized intake/outlet pipes for the intercooler I finally broke down and purchased some proper fittings and clamps that were sized right. After it was all clamped in there nicely I realized that I was going to have clearance issues with the hood closing properly. It touched the SSQV and the passenger side of the intercooler near the front of the car. I had to remove the rubber air guide from the underside of the hood as the metal support/fastener for this rubber air guide was rubbing on the intercooler.

I assumed all was good and closed the hood a few times without drama and proceeded to go for a small rip. I wasn't sure how much the engine would move inside the bay under acceleration so I kept it under a light load and didn't do anything crazy. I parked the car and popped the hood to find one of the screws that hold part of the scoop trim in place had gouged a bit into the end-tank...and the SSQV was rubbing on the insulation on the underside of the hood.

Because of the odd angle the intercooler sits at to align somewhat with the turbo and the throttle body inlet it stresses the hosing more than I would like, but I clamped them down good so hopefully I don't have any issues in the future.

A majority of core is exposed to the scoop airflow, but a small portion is not. Overall I'd say I'm happy with the BayArea TMIC and considering the price it's a fairly good deal with the exceptions of the fitment issues. Here's a link to "sims" thread and the modifications he had to do with his intercooler to get it to fit properly.

viewtopic.php?t=27827

At this time I don't plan on doing any further modifications to the intercooler as I want to see how it fits up with the SB46 turbo(not really expecting any difference). Eventually I will probably address the fitment issues when I start to sort out all the cosmetic stuff I'd like to get done to the car.

TheNubkins

Another quick bit of info to update. I removed the insulation under the hood which gained me some space for the SSQV. It no longer rubs the hood under acceleration(I guess it never did...just rubbed the insulation). My previous post I stated how the intercooler provides a minor noticeable improvement of power. I have to say that was usually just in first and second gear up to around 60mph shifting around 6000rpm. By the time I got to 3rd gear I would let of the throttle. I took her out for a rip last night and I must say the intercooler flows a lot better at higher speeds than the stock one. It pulls much harder in 3rd and 4th gears vs the stock intercooler unit. 1st and 2nd gears the improvement is noticeable but not as large of a difference compared with 3rd/4th. I'd definately say I'm pleased with the intercooler even considering the bit of hassle with the installation, but a lot of mods done to these cars do require a bit of fooling around anyways.

abraxxa

That should be a direct bolt on?
I would have sent them their crap back if it doesn't fit so badly! :x

WarTowels

Yeah these fitment issues are kinda bs... I'd expect something like that from some chinese knock off...

-Towels

TheNubkins

In time I might get AFI Performance to correct the alignment of the intercooler pipes. I don't have enough experience welding aluminum to make it look all minty when fixed. For now it's doing a good job though and I have no complaints from a performance perspective...if only it fit right from the beginning. Oh, and since I've done the intercooler install and removed the insulation under the hood the turbo spooling up is really noticeable now, as is the SSQV. Both are a lot louder. :D

Oh yeah I've just had to order a new master and slave cylinder for the clutch hydraulic system as my clutch has been acting up. I bled the system hoping it would fix the intermittent problem I've been having lately but it didn't work. :cry:

TheNubkins

I don't meant to bump my boring project to the top of the list again but Chris(BayAreaAT) e-mailed me and offered to re-do the intercooler he made for me. I swapped back the stock unit and mailed the "BAYAREA TMIC" back to him for the repairs/modification. I was quite suprised to get an e-mail from him especially considering I had not even asked him for a refund or repair-job. Now that the stock intercooler is back on the car it is noticeably slower. :(

TheNubkins

This is the second attempt to write this damn update as the first one got erased on me. :shoots: Stupid computer.

BayArea has done the repairs to the intercooler and sent me a picture to verify that it has been done. Everything looks great and you can't even tell it has been modified except for a slight indication that there is a second weld bead where the end-tank was originally located. I'm guessing he cut off the end-tank and prepared a new end-tank and outlet pipe in the correct location and then welded it back on. The intercooler should be here by the end of the week. While waiting for the repairs to be completed on the top mount I found myself wanting more power again. That "BayArea" top mount really does give the car some more muscle. Anyhow I finally installed my manual boost controller and fuel cut defender, and to be sure I wasn't over-boosting I installed a boost gauge. I wanted the gauge to look factory so I choose one that had the same colors etc as the stock gauge cluster. I imitated darthripley's beautiful install with almost as much success. I think she did an overall better job and the fit and finish with her fabrication is noticeably better, but mine didn't turn out ugly so I'm not complaining about it at this point. I have it set to 12-13psi for the time being. Here are some pics of the gauge install, but pictures of the engine bay with the manual boost controller and FCD will have to wait until I get the BayArea TMIC back and installed.

gauge1sq4.jpg

gauge2pe5.jpg

gauge3fw8.jpg