Drag race, 500whp, Celica All Trac, Automatic, idea.

acylon

If it was built, it should be somewhere in the 10's
My tranny guy said he could make the tranny hold up to the power.
My tuner guy said he could make the Haltek or AEM control the tranny.
Questions:

1. will the v-6 camry all trac tranny fit on a 3s block?

2. should I put the tranny in my blue street car?

5speedGT4

couldnt you just use a caldalina auto... that came on a 3s motor as it is.....

but i would say keep the mt.... dont be a wuss james :D

acylon

The manual dosn't like to shift at rpm's over 7500.

The engine I am building will like to make power in the higher rev range.

I like to shift, thats why I rally, but for drag racing if you like shifting your car is too slow.

acylon

I turned an 11.64 in John S. Mr2 (409whp), But shifting was precarous.

This idea was intended more for a serious HP car like 600+whp, but then I got to thinking about it and thought I might try it on the Russle (blue car) first, to see how it worked.

acylon

But you are right it seems awfully wussy. :cry:

But then again when I blew your a-- away who would be crying? hehehe

5speedGT4

hehe... yup still wussie.....

nah it wouldnt be a bad idea really, id say try to get ahold of a caldalina tranny and get it built! and see how it works, you can always swap back. but you damn well better be makin power to compete with pat. haha

oh and you would def. smoke me now :D no alltrac for me :roll: :cry:

acylon

what happened? Your still on track for one right?
Caldina tranny... Anybody have one for sale? Lol

Good Idea though. If I can find one I can afford I would try it.

toytech

since the v6 will bolt to the 3sgte trans it probably can be made to work, there was also a camry alltrac with an automatic and a 3sfe so that would likely be the best choice if you can find one.

5speedGT4

im sure if you keep your eye our (ill watch too), you could find a caldalina tranny.... and im sure as hell itll shifter better/faster, as well as hold power better in the end over the camry tranny. but worse case worst... the camry tranny really ought to bolt up and work fine. hell you could even pull the a/t interior parts out of a st162 and make it look stock...haha

id buy another alltrac if i can find one like your blue one (lots of mods, decent price). but right now im looking at a MR2-t, or a e30 Bmw (turboed 3series, or a stockish M3... depending). ill probably end up with a 2 tho. i want something a bit more balanced on its feet for autocross, my alltrac disappointed me doing autocross (though it was rather fun).

we'll see

GMan

The auto in the Camry AllTrac is geared for low end torque.
Useless for a drag car, you'd be shifting by 20mph and 40mph near red
line. No time to boost ? You could change the gear ratios or final drive ?
Plus It does have a power button to change shift points. :)
OD button ? :)

IMHO The Caldina tranny is you best bet.
They turn up on EBay, or at least front cuts.
Sell the engine ? :)

Not sure on the v6 auto ?
Ever look under a Highlander, RX300 or Sienna mv ? :)

I should've given you a ride in an auto All-Trac 3sfe in Topeka. :)

Auto are better for dragging, easier to repeat perforamce ?
Just put in drive and go. :)

Quite a nice daily driver and quite a sleeper ?

Regards;

binkie

This might be a silly question, but it wouldn't be the first one found on the Internet...

Could an automatic transmission have a clutch put on it instead of a torque converter, then add electronic gear selection to use an automatic as a "sequential"transmission? There is a company that modifies Toyota automatic transmission valve blocks, and makes a shift control for them as well.

The clutch could be used to start in 1st, like a dogbox. I can't imagine the shifting would be that violent, it is all clutches and belts.

I know the newer RX350s have 5 spd auto transmissions. They likely do not have the auto problems that the early rx300 transmissions had.

tissimo

binkie":1tnhfl66 said:
This might be a silly question, but it wouldn't be the first one found on the Internet...

Could an automatic transmission have a clutch put on it instead of a torque converter, then add electronic gear selection to use an automatic as a "sequential"transmission? There is a company that modifies Toyota automatic transmission valve blocks, and makes a shift control for them as well.

The clutch could be used to start in 1st, like a dogbox. I can't imagine the shifting would be that violent, it is all clutches and belts.

I know the newer RX350s have 5 spd auto transmissions. They likely do not have the auto problems that the early rx300 transmissions had.
why? torque converters have lockups that lock the converter. Though with a lot of hp it probably wont hold too well

acylon

I sold the Blue Celica and bought a Supra. I got too worried that I couldnt make the power I wanted relaibly.
I still think it was a sweet car though.
303fc6.jpg

143wm5.jpg

123ab8.jpg

dsc00100cq2.jpg

dsc00099vb5.jpg

dsc00101cp1.jpg

dsc00013large7qc.jpg