Gearbox and diff oil

Droptop93

Max gear is goodshit I used I when I changed my clutch bu when I had to have my axles replacd they drained it and put in the cheap generic stuff would have fbe the axles myself but was pressed for time. I think I'm gonna yet syncromesh next cuz I'm haveing shifting issues now and its hard to go back to first.

___Scott___

There have been reports that our transmissions don't like syncromesh in high horsepower and hard use applications.

I ran syncromesh oil for a few years as a stock daily driver without any problems. It really helps with problematic synchros. I discovered that just adding a quart of syncromesh and filling the rest of the way with ATF works pretty good too. That's what's been in my blue 165 for about a year now.

Droptop93

___Scott___":24ccs66z said:
There have been reports that our transmissions don't like syncromesh in high horsepower and hard use applications.

I ran syncromesh oil for a few years as a stock daily driver without any problems. It really helps with problematic synchros. I discovered that just adding a quart of syncromesh and filling the rest of the way with ATF works pretty good too. That's what's been in my blue 165 for about a year now.

i dont have the alltrac trans i have the s53

vip09

I have Royal Purple Max-Gear 75w90 in my transmission and torsen rear differential. I will let you guys know how it works out. My car should be on the road within the next two weeks.

Nitro_Alltrac

vip09":3uh459rk said:
I have Royal Purple Max-Gear 75w90 in my transmission and torsen rear differential. I will let you guys know how it works out. My car should be on the road within the next two weeks.

That is what I am going to put in my trans here shortly. It looks like it would be good. Let us know what you think.

Corey

I've had RP 75W90 in my ST205 tranny for about 5k km now.

No complaints. Shifts fine - but then its a 205 tranny :p

jlspec

What about the Valvoline Products like the SynPower Full Synthetic Gear Oil or the DuraBlend? Any idea if those are good?

Corey

Update:

I'm planning on switching back to Redline oil for my tranny:

I believe the poor shifting of my old E150F was entirely due to it being a E150F lol nothing wrong with the redline oil.

Also, the base stock redline uses "clings" to metal which is a property i prefer. Royal purple uses a different base stock.

I've asked a redline rep which he would recommend. He suggested MT-90 which is a GL4 (his records said for our car, GL4 or 5 was suitable)... but followed up saying I should use 75W90NS as that is what the manual recommended, and would be "suitable, and appropriate" for our application.

I asked for his reasoning behind the GL4, hope he gets back soon :)

Cheers

Corey

Landon

okay, so i'll admit i know nothing about my tranny to start. but i got royal purple for the rear diff. i don't have LSD so i don't think i need to worry about that. but my question is- how do you check the level on our tranny's and add more? i have no idea where to begin to look. so tips would amazing cause i'm worried it may be low. thanks for helping out. i'm also gonna throw out there that i've heard a lot of positive things about royal purple as a oil in general. so i would trust it.

Corey

Hi

but my question is- how do you check the level on our tranny's and add more?

You have to loosen off the Fill Bolt on the front of the tranny. There is no dipstick.

With the car level, the fluid level should be right up to the bottom of this fill hole. You should be able to feel it with your finger.

I just fill it up until fluid pours out, then i know its full :wink:

To fill the tranny, you can try and clear a path to the top of the tranny by removing some of the air intake ducting, then feed a rubber hose into the fill hole - and pour in each bottle of fluid.

Or you can get at it from the bottom (easier), but now you are fighting gravity, and will need a hand fluid pump of some kind (cheap).

i'm also gonna throw out there that i've heard a lot of positive things about royal purple as a oil in general. so i would trust it.

Agreed. It is also a true synthetic oil. My decision to switch back to redline is based on two reasons.

It has two different types of oils (one for differentials, and one for transmissions), allowing us to select the proper fluid for the job.

Royal purple only has the one type last time I checked.

Second, Redline uses an ester base stock which has a property of bonding statically to metal. That to me says it will help protect the motor on start up better. I have no data to support that - it just makes sense tho right? :shrug:

Landon

so, when you say for find a fluid for the job.. talking about the tranny- why worry if it works with a diff? i am not fully informed on our tranny's i don't think. our tranny has a lsd in it doesn't it? or no.. anyways, thanks for helping out the unknowledgable in this area. : )