Project CMS

CMS-GT4

I talked to a guy from a radiator shop and he says its just rust and dirt from over time. I just need a good flush.

Of course the car won't start again, so I can't flush it right now. SO back to trying to figure out why it won't run.

Trance4c

Kinda looks like the stuff I was getting up last May, just much worse..

coolant1.jpg

coolant2.jpg

coolant3.jpg

It is a gunk, very red in nature.. sucks. It gunked up everything, infact.. my oil cooler is clogged from coolant flow too.. everything I'm doing is brand new. I had the engine disassembled and hot tanked, lapped, coolant plugs changed, blue printed, head work, resurface and HG installed at the machine shop this time.

I fear this was due to a very small leak in the headgasket under 10+ psi of boost. My temps use to hover around 200-210 degrees... to high but it could be maintained. Eventually it would overheat, but the coolant just got worse. I flushed it many times.

I hope this is not the case for you, but it looks very alike. I would imagine you do have a bad headgasket issue. Have you done a leak down test and compression?

I'm sorry if you posted you have, but this thread is long, haven't read it all haha.

CMS-GT4

From what we determined it is really old rad fluid that broke down. I never fill via the plastic reseviour. I always fill the radiator itself. So, the crap in the other thing could be 5 + years old.

CMS-GT4

Is there a trick to flushing out the radiator?

Seems harder than I remember.

Well the car ran. I tried cranking it once, and when i stopped it gave a turn over. So I tired again, and it ran. I let it run for a while so I could try and flush the system.

It runs better than last time it started. I also revved it and was able to keep it running, and after shutting it off, it started again. The weird thing is, I did nothing. It just ran.

Click this link to see the video and hear it run.
If you notice anything wrong let me know.
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... D00052.flv

darthripley

gauges seemed to dim when you revved it, other than that i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

weird it just started again like that ... did the rust gunk have anything to do with it?

CMS-GT4

Nope. I had not even gotten to do the flush yet. It just started. The reason the lights would dim, is cause the car would almost die once the rev started dropping past idle.

Kcman91gts

Holy crap that shit is disgusting i would definatly get on a coolant flush just incase , and i was thinkin the same how it almost looks like that orange sealant stuff ... very odd ..

CMS-GT4

And again, in the this time in the blazing heat, it starts again.

I might have feeling about what has been wrong this whole time, but I am not going to post it till I am sure. I will be pretty pissed off, if I am right.

CMS-GT4

A clip is broken on the wire that goes to the distributor cap. So it is pressed in there. Before I started it yesterday, I pressed it hard to maybe help the connection. It starts right away ever since. I have a feeling the broken clip kept it from getting a good connection. So now I am trying to find part numbers for either the whole wire or just the clip.

This could have been the issue the whole time....

turbo4wd

CMS-GT4":3uayrnk7 said:
This could have been the issue the whole time....

If thats what it truly is.. (and I'm hoping thats what it is)

You better jump for joy rather than be pissed.. because it could be a LOT worse.. Lets just cross our fingers and hope thats all it really was..

and then make plans for another meet! :D

CMS-GT4

So I ordered a new cap for the distributor wire.

It starts every time now.

I wasted a few months over this simple issue. At least I figured it out. I was on the verge of selling the car, cause it takes too much of my time and wasn't running.

So once the cap gets here, I am going to doing some extra grounding wires, then it should be done.

Then its off to be painted.

CMS-GT4

So far today, I cleaned out all the cobwebs... literally.
Made another bracket for m heat exchanger. I will need a better bracket and to adjust the height of its location, but this works for now.
I also started putting things back on, and reinstalling things I took out.
I also removed all the gunk from the coolant filler tank.
After dinner, I am going to try and do a final flush of the coolant system.

CMS-GT4

Thanks. It starts every time now after I pressed the plug tight. Now I just wait on the damn clip so I can drive with it.

I just did a big system flush. I am running water in it till I flush it again after a few days.

Done for the day. I will pick up and do more tomorrow.