Need brake pad suggestions (EBC green, red, yellow)

Which EBC brake pads should I get?

• Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red

• Yellow

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarTowels

Just looking for some input. My brakes SUCK. I've replaced my BMC, and rebuilt my calipers.

I've purchased 4 new OEM replacement blank rotors (not installed yet), and now I'm trying to decide on what pads.

I'd like to try out EBC, cause I've heard good things. I wanted the yellowstuff originally, I'm just not sure I want to spend $151 on brake pads.

I've just never seen pads make THAT much difference, but then again I've never tried them.

So what should I get.... green, red, or yellows?

-Towels

darthripley

just curious .. did you have new oem pads on the car with the rebuilt calipers etc & do you have SS brake lines?
also what brake fluid did you change to?

SS brake lines can help with pedal feel quite a bit in my experiences.
if you have the extra $$$ i would get rid of the 15 yr. old rubber lines & replace w/SS lines while you're there.

i can't comment on EBC pads personally, but if you search Simba has them (don't remember which color ones) & has made comments on his experiences with them.

WarTowels

After I rebuilt my calipers, I put back on my awful rotors and used pads. No clue what brand they are, probably crap...

My brakes are so bad I can slam on them and they will not lock up, AND the ABS will not come on. This is exactly how the calipers were before rebuilding them, so I'm guessing that did nothing.

The brakes are borderline unsafe at times when needing to brake hard. So I'm praying pads and rotors will be my answer.

I will defiantly considering SS lines. I think I used Valvoline fluid... DOT 3, maybe synthetic.

I just bought the most expensive stuff they had at the time.

When I put the new pads and rotors on, I will be bleeding the system again just to make sure.

----
On another note, I beleive Simba uses yellowstuff.

But his trac is faster, and I'm guessing he drives it harder... and I also think he might make just a whincy tiny little bit more money than me. :wink:

-Towels

darthripley

the way you're describing the brakes is EXACTLY how they are/were on Vadar - in a word - Terrible.

new rotors & pads should help immensely & SS lines would add to the improvement.

before locating the 205 setup i was just going to use OEM pads + blank rotors w/SS lines.
i'm going to be using oem 205 pads since there is so much meat left on them - less than 1mm out of new thickness to be exact.

i've heard good things about the Greenstuff pads in the past.
i think for your power levels + street use + occasional auto-x they would work nicely.

we have Porterfield pads on the MR2 & while they work amazingly well, they dust like there is no tomorrow all over the rims.
they also tend to squeal until brought up to temp.

on another note slightly off topic regarding SS lines ...
after upgrading the Camry to SS lines all around with oem pads + blank rotors (we did a rear drum to disc conversion)
the pedal feel has greatly improved & i feel so much safer driving the car now everyday.
the stopping distance has decreased & it has taken a lot of getting used to in a good way.

i guess i'm trying to say that i think SS lines are a very worthwhile upgrade especially for DD + ocassional track/auto-x use.

etantshi

For a daily driven AT that is not lapped or run repeatedly at high speed:

Flush the brake fluid. I mean go through 3 or 4 bottles. Get rid of any moisture soaked fluid and keep the fresh stuff in.

Swap brake lines for SS lines.

Run OEM pads and rotors.

Once you do that, you should be able to lock them up with ease.

Fourplay

WarTowels":392v6u8s said:
I'm just not sure I want to spend $151 on brake pads. I've just never seen pads make THAT much difference, but then again I've never tried them.

High quality pads will make a night and day difference but you need to spend alot more than just $150. That's relatively cheap.

Balagast

I've used both EBC yellow and porterfield on the trac over the past two years. I'd say its a bit of a toss up between the two, but they were a night and day difference over OEM pads.

BTW, I went with these pads for autocross mostly. And if you go porterfield be prepared to clean your rims on a weekly basis.

Simba

Greenstuff - Good initial bite, great all around street pad, pretty lousy with repeated high speed stops or track duty.

Red - Excellent all around, good for high speed runs and light track use, very low dust.

Yellow - Race pad with a slightly softer composition. These will chew rotors up faster than anything else, but once you get them hot the braking power is the best you'll get with stock components.

I ran yellows on my car for years. Just watch them on cold mornings when they have no heat in them.

ishmael.7

Do any of you guys have the part number for EBC red stuff for my 1991 Toyota Celica All Trac. It seems that everywhere I go there is a different part number for them. I was able to find the part number for the yellow stuff, but I do not track my vehicle, just daily use so I was thinking red stuff would be fine. I also want to change out my rotors. What rotors are good. I want a little more than stock though. Maybe some slotted and dimpled rotors. I could not find any from EBC. If I do put yellow stuff brake pads I found DP4725R on Amazon for 91.65 which is a good price. Would they really mess up my rotor if I put these on or no. Are SS lines hard to install? I might as well install these also.

Thank You.