Mafix's hybrid setup with front mount

Shaggz00

I'll let Mafix explain exactly what you're seeing here. I just snapped these pics the other night when we were out for some drinks.

mafixscar0018vy.png

mafixscar0022fa.png

mafixscar0034xs.png

Mafix

thanks shaggs,
finally got some underhood pics up. this is just after my FMIC installation. I made all the pipe and such. it has a greddy BOV recirced in (still giving me problems). i made the intake, mounted everything up. it also has a modded AFM, i just recently added a MBC. 10 psi now, yay! the car has full exhaust...aussie 3"DP and 3" side pipe exhaust that i made. MSD ignition, obvious battery relocation and the 'wrong' alternator. that one is off a 162 (had to mod the hood to fit). aside from a shit load of new parts that it. oh yeah JDM motor, note lack of EGR and the vacuum octopus.

Minde_Kei

the idea of doing that yourself is nice. but when you dont know how.. it other story.

1* do you know that it is possible to rotate compresr housing of TC?
2* to find more difficult place to fit bov it is impossible :)) ypu had possibility to place it near AFM so the route of air could be as short as possible.
3* the outlet pipe from compresor to i/c is very near the exaust many and downpipe, and you know... when you run hard their color becomes red :) you understand???
4* the pipe conection looks very bad. it would be beter idea to conect in the same way you did with air intake.
5* the pipe bend are very poor quality.
6*the look of stock st165 it is way better than your. (of course i understand that design is a matter of taste)

don't get me wrong! thast want to say that if you have putted a littl' more efforts to do that setup, it could be much more better.

p.s. english is not my native language - sorry for grammar

Mafix

ouch i see someone likes things pretty. all taste. that's cool though. it works, it fits, it certainly does the trick, and i did it all on my own. just to top that all off, it'll be a drag only car one day so looks mean jack to me. all it has to do is go fast and it does that very well.

Furious82

Man that was a total smack down. Although i dont think anything was stated that Mafix had not thought about before, at least i hope. From what i see it looks like he did a decent job with the resources that he had. Besides, how is one supposed to learn anything if they dont do it themselves. If it gets the job done, then it gets the job done. Its totaly unfair to be to critical for DIY'ers. Good job Mafix. :)

Minde_Kei

i just wanted to say that with minimum efforts he could this setup more efective and more efectively looking.

p.s. i understand that did it yourself. as i mostly do things myself and try to do them very accurately.

cheers

Snyder

We would like see pics of yours. Most chumps have it done by some shop. Mafix and I are DYI pros, so show us pics of your so we can find something wrong with yours also.

Thanks

toayoztan

Nice DIY. I honestly agree it could 'LOOK' better, but that's a matter of taste. As far as the quality of it goes, i don't think it's too bad at all really...just one thing concerns me...the coupler from your compressor to your fmic piping concerns me...

Bryan

esracing

looks good the only thing i see is your air flow meter is not in the write possion.rotate if you can so it sits just like stock .rotate so the connector is facing back.i had hesitation when minewas like yours.i will get avi to take a pic of mine so you see what i mean.

ERIC. :D

Mafix

well the pipe is routed over the manifold because the number of bends that would have gone into it had i turned it would have been insane. I have the aussie 3" DP and it doesn't leave much room for 2.5" pipe crossing it with the radiator. and yes it could have looked nicer. I agree. But i don't care what it looks like now. i can always redo it if i wanted. i respect what you said, i'm sure a lot of people on here have had that thought, i know i have but for what i can do in the time alloted with the materials i have...it's fucking amazing.

That coupling from the turbo to the intercooler piping was a pinch fix. that's sctually on its way out. At least you noticed something that was actually wrong with my setup :p Thanks for the look out though

The AFM is going nowhere. i've looked at a lot of stuff and i think that's how it's gonna be. i'm not getting a problem from the AFM so i guess it's cool.

Mafix

hey thanks guys
Robert,
how have you been man. love the new site. I actually work for Midas. I made all the piping. Ran me 25 dollars in pipe and 5 hours of my time on my day off. i certainly think it was worth it.

Rick89GTS

Mafix, how much stuff do you need to remove to reach the oil filter?! Is a relocation kit possible? As far as Minde Kei's comments, don't take them too hard. I think he was just offering constructive criticism, not actually trying to be mean-spirited about it.

Mafix

oh i hear that...someone had to say it.
As far as the oil filter goes, burning ouch ouch ouch. i can get to it but the dipstick is a friggin bitch.