Project Stormbringer

Dracov

...well, a year plus a day to be technical. But that's how long it's been since I brought home my favourite car in the world and achieved an old dream of mine; A 1988 ST165.

Canadian market, so everything was metric. 107,000 miles and a healthy stack of service records came with her.

OperationQuadruped_24.jpg

She wasn't heavily modified but there were a number of little things here and there that I found;
ST185 front brakes
KYB Rally struts (seems to be on stock springs)
Cruise control gutted
Supra CT26
A valve working as a boost controller set to 10PSI - with the T-VSV line cut
Hella H4 headlight conversion
A 3" exhaust from the downpipe back, nice deep note to it
An HKS PFC F-CON sitting in the glovebox all hooked and doing...well, whatever it does

The paint on the hood has lost pretty much all its clearcoat due to engine bay heat, and the roof is pretty sunfaded. Found some evidence of a front end repair but everything with the chassis seems nice and straight.

In the last year I've done a few things, mostly for maintenance as the OEM clutch gave out on me sometime last October.

To correct that I picked up a Clutchmasters FX300 off of someone here, and did a nearly-complete Speed Source makeover:
SpeedSource.jpg

Then after that I tended to some other issues, like the horn being so weak it couldn't be heard over the engine idling. So I fixed that, with a Hella Supertones horn set. :)
Alltrachorn.jpg

And because I don't like the OEM green lighting (plus a bulb was burnt out), I replaced all the gauge cluster lights with red LEDs to match the interior. Also went for the window switch lights too
Alltracreddash.jpg

Since that time I've also picked up the BGB's and EWD books for her, as well as gotten a full alignment and new set of Yokohamas to replace the very much dead Falkens she had originally.

My last bit of work up until now was installing a new boost gauge as the stock one doesn't read high enough...and after installing the new gauge I really did learn how slow the OEM boost gauge is!
Alltracboostgauge.jpg

Seems to draw about 9 in/Hg when cold and about 13-14 when warmed up, which I'm guessing is normal due to being at altitude.

This car has been a pure dream cone true for me, even despite the hangups of the HFH bursting and having the clutch give out. She's my DD and my latest addiction. I'll be doing more things to her with no solid goal in mind except making her into the best machine I can.

Denver_whiteST185

those vacuum readings are a little low (considering thats my old boost gauge, and i lived in lakewood relitively close to where i think you work)

i would go through and start replacing your vacuum lines with some silicone and using small worm clamps to secure them. where are you tapping your vacuum source?

looks good though. i like the red gauge lights. you know, you can make the boost gauge light up red (not sure if you already did that, but its pretty simple)

Dracov

Yeah, I picked up a red LED for the boost gauge so it matches.

Source for the boost guage is by the passenger side of the intake plenum where the stock MAP sensor gets it's vacuum source. The needle also reads at the high end of the zero range when everything's at rest so it could just need calibrating also.

Replacing the vacuum hoses is in a long list of little projects to do, just a matter of getting around to them. :)

Denver_whiteST185

before you start trying to calibrate it, i would do those vacuum lines. my vacuum readings increased by 2 in. hg. from just swapping from zip ties to steel worm clamps and redoing my lines with silicone...

Dracov

Never said anything about cracking it open and having a go. It's not a huge worry to me at the moment. I'll probably pick up a silicon hose kit after I get the new batch of toys in and installed

wakkjobb

That is the first real live AT I ever saw. Have you replaced the IC radiator? I finally got my engine in, waiting for money to finish IC piping and all that goodness. And the other minor details like brakes and vacuum hoses. Yay! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What?
Dan

Dracov

Yeah, I got the replacement heat exchanger on. It too seems to have a leak, but it's alot less than the old one...got a feeling it's one of the hoses trying to torment me since they were nearly impossible to remove in the first place.

Can't wait to see your 'trac up and running. :)

Dracov

Wonders never cease in their perrversion and strangeness. It would appear, beyond any reasonable doubt or coincidence, that the Alltrac has incurred a fluid leak. But, it's not oil (though there is that...it will be dealt with soon), nor fuel. Not the clutch line nor brakes, not even power steering or coolant.

Windshield fluid!

The stupid windshield washer fluid reservior has seemed to have cracked or develped a hole of some sort, leaving a nice half gallon puddle beneath the front right tire. I don't even want to think of the stupidity of this problem, much less the fun of acquiring a replacement, lest by some grace a 162 tank is identicle. At least it's not critical...I haven't used the washers in months literally.

Dracov

LEDs I get from superbrightleds.com, they have a very good selection, just about everything short of actual LED headlights. :)

The horn kit I got from rallyarmor.com, they were something like $55 at the time. They're nice and LOUD, 118dB with I think a very fitting tone for our cars

As for the washer fluid tank, I was mostly griping, I'll take a look at it later this afternoon. Chances are a 162 tank will fit if it comes to that. Otherwise I might just ghetto fix it and be done with it

Hotrodhendrix

RedCelicaTRD":2fo04u3g said:
If it's just a crack you could do the ghetto thing and seal it with silicone. I've done it before 8)

I would do this before anything else. Its not like anyone will see the fix and you don't have to go through the trouble finding a replacement. My 91 alltrac tank matched to my old 90 gt coupe so you could probably just run out and get one of those at a junk yard.

wakkjobb

If you want, I can take a look at the one in that 88 GTS at my local yard Friday and see how it compares to our AT tanks; only thing is it has been hit in that area so it might be "Le toast", as the French say.

I too can't wait to get my AT running. I have dreams about it often :( Or :D depending on how you look at it.

Dan

wakkjobb

The tank looks okay and both pumps are there, no cut wiring either. I hid it so it doesn't walk off before I go back there.

Sir Sneaky
Dan

Dracov

I went down to pickup a washer bottle from wakkjobb, end went away with a bunch of other stuff. This is part of why I like road trips. :D

AlltracStuff.jpg

Might try and install the fan tomorrow (having one cooling fan is just scary!), though it's going to interfere with the horns. We'll see how it goes

Kcman91gts

Are those black boxs those useless things that under the driver side front fender thats part of the original air intake?

wakkjobb

they are the rear speaker boxes that mount to the strut towers... which were full of water when I removed them. Huh??? :shock:

Dan