Project Stormbringer

turbo4wd

Dracov":3akhssxp said:
(having one cooling fan is just scary!),

Just curious but..

Are you adding this fan in addition to whats already there? Because I thought the 165 was set up similarly to the 185 - 1 radiator cooling fan, and 1 ac condenser fan.

Are you having overheating issues?

Dracov

I currently have only the one radiator fan installed. This is an A/C condenser fan to replace the one I lack.

While my 165 has never overheated on me, there is one critical thing to remember: 185's have a TON more engine bay ventilation. The 165's front bumper has at best half the intake area, and precisely zero hood vents. Realistically, a 165 in good condition is running the ragged edge of safe under-hood temperatures in my opinion. Heck, just look at what happened to my hood's clearcoat.

And yes, one of my currently four simultaneous projects involves resurrecting the A/C, so I'm gonna need this any way you look at it. :)

wakkjobb

My old celica used to have water that came out of the speaker vents in the rear. I think it was due to a leaky rear window.

Great... now I'm getting worried about the quarter glass seals. :( Hopefully the water was from having the windows left down at one point when the car sat before I bought it. Hopefully...

Ruined a pair of Infinity Reference speakers, dammit!
waterspeakers1.jpg

Captain of the SS Celica
Dan

Dracov

My vote is on the hatch or quarter window seal being shot :/

One of mine actually does have a leak, despite massive amounts of RTV being slathered on it in the past. It only shows up during heavy rain storms or during carwashes. Drips right over the passenger side rear seat.

Dracov

After an afternoon comprising of 43% more frustration than I have prepared for, I was able to get the A/C fan installed acceptably.

AlltracACFan1.jpg

But, a slight problem...the Supertones had to be evicted from their former resting spot, as predicted by wakkjobb yesterday. Damn you for being right!
AlltracACFan2.jpg

One of the horns I was able to squeeze in between the heat exchanger and bracket for the hood latch, the other was proving a larger bother. I ended up mounting it in the same place it used to be, but stood off by about two inches. I never want to go hunting locally for metric threaded rod again. :p

AlltracHornMount2.jpg

...Oh yeah, alternator duct if how fully connected. Sad isn't it. :)

wakkjobb

...Oh yeah, alternator duct if how fully connected. Sad isn't it.

Do you mean it's now connected? Glad to see something worked out for you after the frustrations. If you have a tap and die (DIE DIE DIE!!!) kit you can pick up plain steel rod from a Home Depot and thread your own studs or what have you. Worked when I got that spacer for my exhaust. Stop by again, maybe you'll take the rest of my car with you! :p I hope the fan works to its intended purpose (instead of chopping fingers off... :doh: )

Dan

Dracov

Well.

Today I got fed up enough with my weak parking brake to retighten it...the right way. Yanked off the wheels - used the opportunity to rotate them - and monkeyed with the adjustment wheel on each shoe assembly until it was just shy of gripping the drum when loose. Now it feels like it ought to...the shoes were obviously used in a not-standing-still manner, so they'll be up for replacement when I get around to a new set of pads. But for the immediate preset that can wait.

I just happened to look over to the differential on the passenger side and saw the depressing sight of an axle boot with a decently large hole in it.

Source? That 3" exhaust of mine apparently. seems it hangs down -just- low enough for the boot to rub up against it, and then heat does the rest. Not at all sure what I can do about this, seeing as even if I replace the boot it'll just happen again. The exhaust isn't what you could call adjustable, and I don't have the tools yet to take it out completely and try fooling with the hangars to change how low it hangs.

wakkjobb

you might be in luck about the axles; I think my rears are in good shape but I am replacing them for "just because" type reasons. Did the fronts last night and will start on the rears tonight or tomorrow. If the boots are okay do you want them? I don't know if they're OEM or have been replaced though...

Dan

Dracov

Yeah, that would be great actually. That just leaves me with figuring out how to actually get the exhaust to stop rubbing against the axle so this doesn't turn into an annual ritual

...The joys of having a 185 exhaust on a 165. Blah.

wakkjobb

...bigger hammer, welder, cutting torch...
these always make big things into small things! And sometimes into flaming/burning things... :doh:

Dan

Denver_whiteST185

funny thing is my 2.5" exhaust rubs, but just a little bit (enough to make a small mark on the pipeing, but nothing on the axle)

you could always just dent it in. it not like a dented 3" will flow less than a stock exhaust...

Dracov

What a day... About an hour ago I finished what was for me a major project. Been gathering up the parts for several months, and despite my worry that I might not be able to complete it in time for my work week to start up again, it would seem that I was able to get everything done in one day.

Firstly, a fairly well abused turbo evacuating the depths of Black Forest went on sabbatical, only to come back all cleaned up, with a shiny coat of ceramic and a new compressor wheel. :)
Alltrac57trim6.jpg

Next up...gaskets. Hoo boy did I get gaskets! Took almost two months alone to get these...why? Because 1sttoyota had all of the bloody oil cooler o-rings...except one, and had to wait on a shipment from japan...all for a dumb ring of tin!
AlltracUpgrade010.jpg

And no self respecting turbo replacement could be complete without deep-sixing that godawful disaster of cast iron hanging off the end of the turbine housing...
Alltracdownpipe.jpg

Just to top it off, a spiffy BOV kit courtesy of 935! I disassembled it to make sure all of the bolts were properly tightened, and thread-taped any place that needed it...really don't want something this pretty to cause me grief as a boost leak :p
AlltracBOV001.jpg

Ahh, the joys of a mess-free oil draining. :)
AlltracUpgrade004.jpg

Freakishly clean throttle body, considering the turbo's oil seals went south on me
AlltracUpgrade006.jpg

No disassemble Johnny 5!
AlltracUpgrade009.jpg

Old und bustimicated
AlltracUpgrade008.jpg

And, well...by the time I finished wrestling with the downpipe to actually fit in its rightful place, cleaning up after my temper tantrums and refilling with new oil, intercooler and engine coolant, it was too dark to both taking finished pics. :p

And yes, the turbo was fully primed before the engine fired up even once.

...dear heavens that exhaust is loud now. Thought it was bad enough already. (Still got a nice deep gutteral tone, so it's all good)

wakkjobb

holy crap, that's my old turbo? How much do want for it? :p Looks good! Hate to pour salt into wounds but I have a bunch of those oil cooler metal gaskets sitting around since I'm switching to remote/external mount...

Dan

Dracov

Yes! And it's mine now muahhahaa! :D

Speaking of parts sitting around I still need to compile a list of Little Things to get so I can finish some small fixes here and there. And the dreaded wheel bearings have been on my mind (and my ears) lately...really don't wanna have to deal with those

UtahSleeper

Nice work you have done to the car. Glad it went tp your hands cause it would have went south quick in mine, at the time.

Dracov

Thanks! That really means alot to me. Every bit of work has been a challenge - both in figuring out how to get things done and simply being able to - but it's certainly been paying off. Are you looking to get back into the Alltrac game, or just focusing on your 3T project for now?

UtahSleeper

Looking to get back in the game. Checked one out today, but it needed alot of TLC with the engine. I'm hoping to get one for the winter and do a little during the summers on it.

My 3T will always be my baby though and I am making more progress now that school is over for me :)