New 165 owner in the PacNW

Status Sean

IMG_0701Large.jpg

IMG_0702Large.jpg

Hey guys,

My name is Sean, I am a long time Celica enthusiast, and long time lurker of the all trac boards.

This is my first All-Trac model, I previously had a fwd GT 165 that served as my daily beater which will now be replaced by its awd brother. I bought the All-Trac from the original owner yesterday, the car's engine blew in 2000 and has sat until now.

The chassis itself is in great condition, the paint and interior are pretty thrashed but that will all be fixed soon enough. The plan is to get the car running this week and daily it until November, from there we will tear the car down and build it accordingly.

AWDios

I'm assuming you bought this from Bowser?

Make sure to check out PSTOC as well.

Where are you located?

Status Sean

Yes I bought the car off of Bao (Bowser) I wasn't sure if he posted here.

Here are some pics of what we worked on last night.

We are trying to get rid of as much weight off the front end as possible. Eventually the car will have a custom core support, but that wont come until November.

So far we removed the:

-Entire Air conditioning unit/hard lines/ condenser
-Manual Headlight adjusters & most of the bracket (about 8lbs off each)
-Moved the battery to the cabin (Odyssey PC1200)
-All the stereo equipment
-Rear wiper

Today I will be:
-Putting on Manual window doors from a gt model.
-Installing a Sparco hub and Steering wheel (Temporary)
-Cutting the ribs out of the hood
-Installing gt3 cup car hood pins
-Making frp bezel for fixed headlights

I am thinking about running the electric power steering unit off of the Mr2. All of my past weekend cars didn't have power steering but i'm thinking for the kind of driving I will be doing I will want ps.

Here's a picture of the 50% completed fixed headlight conversion, Today I will be making the FRP bezel that will finish it off. There was alot more cutting, spot weld drilling, and welding involved than I thought.

IMG_0706Large.jpg

Status Sean

EasternBandit":39my1dui said:
Welcome! Nice base for a project, what're your goals and where are you located? There's too few of us here in the NW....

The car is located in Arlington, but I live in Mukilteo.

My plans are to get the car running with the stock 1st gen engine and learn the car, I want to figure out all of it's weakneses before we tear it down in November.

November Build includes:

-Acid dip chassis
-Seam weld chassis
-Roll Cage (built to current WRC FIA spec)
-Tilton hanging twin pedal setup
-Revised shock towers
-Front mini tubs
-Custom core support and push bar
-Somehow get rid of the sunroof

Brakes (AMD setup looks promissing)
300-350hp 2nd gen 3S (going for response)

Here's a picture of my other project, a 98 ITR that I am currently building and should be finished this month.

I had the car sand blasted, seam welded, and powdercoated.
IMG_3947Medium.jpg

AWDios

Sweet, and you're in the north end too, good to have some more people up this way.

BTW, if you want to help pull my motor and get some more all-trac experience, I'm trying to do that on the 13th of Sept and could use the help. :D

turbo4wd

Status Sean":w7znal01 said:

Welcome, and nice ITR.

Since you're going to strip it down, and acid dip it - the easiest way to go about this would probably be to simply weld a piece of sheetmetal from the inside to seal up the hole. Depending on how skilled your welder is, the bead would be minor, and you would need a minimal amount of filler to make it glass smooth and ready to paint.

EasternBandit

http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13814

thread talking about alternatives to acid dipping for paint/rust removal. Save the environment! Haha, jk if I said that I'd be a hipacrit for driving an alltrac. But I try to help where I can, like stopping my gf from throwing gobs of trash out the window while driving and making sure nothing electrical is on when I leave the house.

Now if only we could get more guys/gals in oregon with alltracs...

chkpnt

Cool! Welcome!

Would you mind if I swing by to take a look at your fixed headlight conversion some time? I live in Bellingham...

What are you building the car for?

Status Sean

chkpnt":2lqiqnwa said:
Cool! Welcome!

Would you mind if I swing by to take a look at your fixed headlight conversion some time? I live in Bellingham...

What are you building the car for?

Yeah,

Just stop by the shop, we are in Arlington about an hour away.

Right now I just want the car to run, which is turning into way more of a headache than I previously thought.

In November we are going to tear the car down and rebuild and reinforce. We bought the car as a test mule for some of the other cars/projects we have in the shop.

were going to be experimenting with:

Custom Lexan windows
Composite body panals & one time use molds
Mil spec wiring the entire car
Some new chassis strengthening techniques we've wanted to try.

With the car being very affordable and awd/turbo it made sense for it to be our test mule, plus I've been a huge fan of the 165 chassis for quite some time.

But now I have to get this thing running, I'm trying to drive it before Friday..................wiring :doh:

Status Sean

05christj":1gympo18 said:
you said you removed all the stereo equipment can I get the factory radio and harness?

Sorry I threw everything away, I'll make sure to post the future unneeded parts before I throw them away.

Status Sean

EasternBandit":2jti7223 said:
http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13814

thread talking about alternatives to acid dipping for paint/rust removal. Save the environment! Haha, jk if I said that I'd be a hipacrit for driving an alltrac. But I try to help where I can, like stopping my gf from throwing gobs of trash out the window while driving and making sure nothing electrical is on when I leave the house.

Now if only we could get more guys/gals in oregon with alltracs...

Yeah we have stripped cars in the past with media blasting and it works really well on paint and rust, but it wont go thru the cars factory undercoat, we found this out the hardway with the ITR a $300 complete chassis sand blast job turned into a $1200 mess.

nothing better than working on a fresh bare metal car.

Status Sean

turbo4wd":dt2mmbi8 said:
Status Sean":dt2mmbi8 said:

Welcome, and nice ITR.

Since you're going to strip it down, and acid dip it - the easiest way to go about this would probably be to simply weld a piece of sheetmetal from the inside to seal up the hole. Depending on how skilled your welder is, the bead would be minor, and you would need a minimal amount of filler to make it glass smooth and ready to paint.

Yeah it sucks that this car doesn't have roof sills and we could just drill out the spot welds and swap in a roof skin without a sunroof. We will figure something out when the time comes, for now I need to get this car running.

If there are any all trac wiring gurus in the area lmk

I'm putting a JDM 1st gen 3s in and 3 plugs dont corospond with the usdm harness.

Rick89GTS

Status Sean":2mhzjuum said:
05christj":2mhzjuum said:
you said you removed all the stereo equipment can I get the factory radio and harness?

Sorry I threw everything away, I'll make sure to post the future unneeded parts before I throw them away.

Did you throw away the AC stuff too?
I'm looking for a few AC things...

chkpnt

Right now I just want the car to run, which is turning into way more of a headache than I previously thought.

Hahahaha... You are a new Alltrac owner... Mine has been parked since last September but should be on the road soon. It's only been a whole year. The most important tool you can have is patience with these cars. They can be a real P.I.T.A. to work on and are usually fussy when they aren't broken. Oh, and they are an electrical nightmare. Let me know if you need some help... I've ripped mine apart. Twice.

I'd love to take a look at what you're working on one of these days. When you say shop, do you have a business? Were those pictures taken at the Arlington airport? I might be coming down to the Pull-A-Part in the next month or so...

Status Sean

chkpnt":1sjzdvhe said:

Hahahaha... You are a new Alltrac owner... Mine has been parked since last September but should be on the road soon. It's only been a whole year. The most important tool you can have is patience with these cars. They can be a real P.I.T.A. to work on and are usually fussy when they aren't broken. Oh, and they are an electrical nightmare. Let me know if you need some help... I've ripped mine apart. Twice.

I'd love to take a look at what you're working on one of these days. When you say shop, do you have a business? Were those pictures taken at the Arlington airport? I might be coming down to the Pull-A-Part in the next month or so...

LOL.............yeah this car is a huge pain in the ass to work on.

::Update::

I got a motor in the car last night/tonite, I am dead set on driving this thing before the weekend, this car would be impossible to work on without a lift:

IMG_0716Large.jpg

(ignore the way the turbo is mounted, too tired to fix it)

Yes I work with the guys at JMI Motoring in Arlington, here's some of the work we have done in the past:

l_fd04e008fab3f6edd9ba1ea87178d711.jpg

l_cb66f56b3b129b5bcc923c0996748e34.jpg

l_e925caaf645f57fe9e4375da6d81dbd8.jpg

l_65d44e273e126bd0951e97e135052d35.jpg

l_4229cc5e759249b00de16f5c1900c8eb.jpg

Status Sean

Rick89GTS":2h064kr6 said:
Status Sean":2h064kr6 said:
05christj":2h064kr6 said:

Did you throw away the AC stuff too?
I'm looking for a few AC things...

Yeah I did, I still have to disect everything behind the dash, if your looking for anything back there.

Does anyone need red all-trac power doors?

what I need:
-Rear Bumper
-Alternator
-Radiator
-Intercooler ECU

Rick89GTS

^That's too bad for me :doh:
I don't need any of the behind the dash stuff, thanks though.
BTW, nice job on the headlight conversion, it looks great :)

AWDios

Wish I had a lift :( My car has been sitting for a year and a half this stretch, but it's sat as long as about 3 years once before.

Good to know there's another decent shop in the area though.