Preparing an engine for long term storage

GT4RC

Hi guys, need a bit of advice, and figure there should be a sticky in here about it anyways.

How should one prepare an engine for long term storage?

Sifu

Here's what I do...

- Fill with higher octane gas
- Change oil (only if it's old)
- Put Bounty sheets in the car
- Keep one window cracked open (just barely)
- Put mouse traps under car
- Plug muffler with a sock (because I've had rice stored in there by the same critters)
- Get a good battery charger that you can keep plugged in

GT4RC

Sifu":29nb913x said:
Here's what I do...

- Fill with higher octane gas
- Change oil (only if it's old)
- Put Bounty sheets in the car
- Keep one window cracked open (just barely)
- Put mouse traps under car
- Plug muffler with a sock (because I've had rice stored in there by the same critters)
- Get a good battery charger that you can keep plugged in

Heh, I don't think I gotta worry about the bounty sheets and the windows :p

These are the last pics I took of her.
IMG00058.jpg

IMG00059.jpg

IMG00064.jpg

IMG00062.jpg

I basically just need to know how to store it so the engine doesnt dry up.

Oh and the thread about using castors on the bottom of the cross member was an absolute lifesaver :D

Sifu

Put in about a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and cover with a bag so no moisture gets in it. Even putting Bounty sheets will help in the bad. Plus it'll smell like Spring freshness when you open it up... MMMMMMMmmmMmMm ahhhhhhhhh...

Also tape up all the ends of wire and hose connections so they don't get dried up, debris stuck in it, etc.

GT4RC

Sifu":9xu1b1pj said:
Put in about a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and cover with a bag so no moisture gets in it. Even putting Bounty sheets will help in the bad. Plus it'll smell like Spring freshness when you open it up... MMMMMMMmmmMmMm ahhhhhhhhh...

Also tape up all the ends of wire and hose connections so they don't get dried up, debris stuck in it, etc.
Ok sounds idea.

I also had a guy tell me about some foam lubricant im supposed to get to fill hoses, cylinders, etc... but I forgot what it's called.

anyone know of the stuff? :shrug:

Sifu

Hmm... Never heard of it but taping it should be ok. It's not going to be stored for years...