3sge tranny starter getting in the way or turbo!

MrMcQuacker

Hey guys im not sure what section this would go on because i have this on gt4 talk as well but someone kinda gave me some weird reply so imma try here. I have a 1986 Celica gts with a 3s ge motor. I am currently trying to swap a 93 2gen 3sgte which i see drops in. i understand that the wiring harness will change and thats about all i know. i have all the peices for the motor everything ecu harness sensors and etc. so after wiring all will plug n play. But the Starter on my tranny is getting in the way with the turbo motor. i saw someone say somethng about drilling new holes near the bell housing and turning it around. I need more help on Specifics on what that means. Also i want to know if there is a better way on avoiding such a job. Please help me. Pm me if you want. Ty

Dracov

On a 3S-GE tranny the starter is on the engine block side, which will interfere with the turbo/downpipe on a GTE motor. One way to solve this is get a starter from a non-GE (GTE or FE) and drill out a hole for it to fit on the transaxle side so it's out of the way, but if I remember right there might be problems lining it up with the flywheel's ring gear. You can't flip around your GE starter because it would then be spinning the wrong direction.

What would be easier so far as labor is concerned is to just get a tranny where the starter is pointed away from the engine block. But that would incur more costs for your swap, so the choice is up to you.

3sgt-s

You can use a 5sfe tranny, v6 camry tranny, or tap the holes on your current tranny to make it work. I personally am using my 87 stock tranny and clutch and havent had a problem. Frankenstein but its all good.

3sgt-s

If you use your stock tranny and you are getting a 2nd gen swap, you need to use your stock clutch with the 3sgte pressure plate and flywheel. Or get a custom order clutch assembly.

A

Anonymous

3sgt-s":mzeqi46y said:
If you use your stock tranny and you are getting a 2nd gen swap, you need to use your stock clutch with the 3sgte pressure plate and flywheel. Or get a custom order clutch assembly.

But you use the 3sge or an 3sgte starter??

smc252

I did the 3s-gte swap in my 1986 GTS Celica, and ended up cutting a hole on the transmission, and tapped 2 holes to mount the starter on the opposite side.

Also, I DO have a v6 camry tranny up for sale, rebuilt.. You could simply just bolt everything together without modding shit.

-Steve