need to know EGR removal

WarTowels

Good writeup, this should be stickied and put in the How To section.

My ebay block off plates... only included the one plate, and not the manifold one. :cry:

Now I need to fab something up... arg.

-Towels

alltracman78

RedCelicaTRD":3m9sso29 said:
Only the California ecu needs to be fooled with a resistor.

There is no CA ECU for our cars, they're all the same.
All have the potential for the EGR code.
The CA spec cars have a temp sender in the EGR valve.
All other cars have a resistor in the connector for the temp sender.

yjkalltrac":3m9sso29 said:
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what do you do to the VSV?
You leave it unplugged and let it dangle? Will it throw any codes
if I leave it unplugged?
syko says":3m9sso29 said:
if your car was originally from california, then it will leave a code. if not, then no. there is a way to get rid of the code (say if your car WAS from cali) but i am unsure how to do it. i know i read it somewhere on here though.

Just to clarify, and hopefully help at least someone understand better, unplugging the EGR VSV wont' automatically cause an EGR code.
The code comes from the temp sender mentioned above.
Unplugging the VSV [without removing any of the EGR stuff], will cause the code in a CA spec car, because the temp sender won't see high temps.
However, removing all the EGR stuff and leaving that VSV plugged in will also cause the code on a CA spec car.
On a non CA spec car you won't get a code unless you remove the resistor from the connector, or the resistor goes bad.

LegacyofDan

alltracman78":3qgz0z3s said:
RedCelicaTRD":3qgz0z3s said:
Only the California ecu needs to be fooled with a resistor.

There is no CA ECU for our cars, they're all the same.
All have the potential for the EGR code.
The CA spec cars have a temp sender in the EGR valve.
All other cars have a resistor in the connector for the temp sender.

yjkalltrac":3qgz0z3s said:
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what do you do to the VSV?
You leave it unplugged and let it dangle? Will it throw any codes
if I leave it unplugged?
syko says":3qgz0z3s said:
if your car was originally from california, then it will leave a code. if not, then no. there is a way to get rid of the code (say if your car WAS from cali) but i am unsure how to do it. i know i read it somewhere on here though.

Just to clarify, and hopefully help at least someone understand better, unplugging the EGR VSV wont' automatically cause an EGR code.
The code comes from the temp sender mentioned above.
Unplugging the VSV [without removing any of the EGR stuff], will cause the code in a CA spec car, because the temp sender won't see high temps.
However, removing all the EGR stuff and leaving that VSV plugged in will also cause the code on a CA spec car.
On a non CA spec car you won't get a code unless you remove the resistor from the connector, or the resistor goes bad.

well that sorta helps me out...i'm throwing two codes...5-1 and 2-2...one of them is a temp sensor or something with the temp i dont remember...but i did remove the EGR, is that where my temp code is coming from?

WarTowels

05christj":pqjzvwce said:
what is the advantage to removing the EGR

EGR failure can also cause running problems, which is why I removed mine.

It is illegal to remove it in some states because it is an emissions part, so check out the local laws before pulling it.

Also I've heard it yields a tiny performance gain.

-Towels

bridge47

I'll post an article I have about the disadvantages to removing EGR. Not sure if it applies to Alltracs but some ECUs will advance timing big time when EGR is in operation b/c of slower burn rate of fuel charge. Helps economy as well as emissions. Pumping losses are reduced as well. When EGR was first required circa 1973 it was primitive and could hurt performance. Not so on modern vehicles.

That being said, I ran my 90 ST185 for 50K miles w/o EGR and never noticed any detonation. But I was at 7000ft.

I would suggest keeping a sharp eye on audible pinging since EGR won't be operating but ECU is counting on the flow.

bridge47

JDM ECU is a good solution.

Another thing to keep in mind. High mileage engines will develop lots of carbon/gunk in EGR transfer. In head and intake manifold passages will clog up. They aren't easy to clean.

vash169

Writeup = great. I got an EGR removal kit from KO and it actually came with Toyota gaskets, which amazed me. My EGR didn't even have a gasket on the exhaust side and the intake side gasket was dust. Got no codes or adverse effects from unplugging it and leaving the plug hanging, I'll probably clip it off just to neaten it up some more. That's one less thing that can break and gum up the works!

sbart83

is the egr for the st165 similar? i already have that stupid spaceship looking egr thingie off my motor, i gotta see where it goes, i don't think it attaches to the top of the head like that like 185. also, anyone knows more about "tricking the ecu" with the 1 ohm resistor, i happen to have that stupid "cali ecu" i think, i bought it in roseville

Landon

i wanna find egr block off plates but i can't. a lil advice? ko racing doesn't have them anymore?