Power Steering Pump & Hose Repair

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

Power Steering Pump & Hose Repair

Postby Rick89GTS » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:05 am

Since it's such a common problem, here's my collection of three Power Steering Pump articles for the 4th Gen ST16X series (ST18X is similar).
Enjoy :smokes:

1) PS Pump & Hose Removal (from the BGB):

Note: Don't worry about the SST (below). A monkey wrench, regular crescent wrench or best of all, 17mm flare nut wrench work just as well.

*Note:
You may find it easier to remove/loosen the top bolt first because the bottom bolt will support the pump, keeping the weight and tension off the top bolt.

A socket doesn't fit properly into that restrictive area where the PS pump top bolt lives; no clearance. I find it easier with obstruction wrenches, (like "S" or "C" shaped ones), offset box, crow's foot and/or Gear or ratcheting flex-head wrenches.
A basic open-ended wrench works just as well too.

2) Tensioning the PS Belt:
I've always found it difficult to get enough tension on the PS belt in that cramped space.
Try this trick: wedge the wide flat part of a screwdriver or prybar into the slot of lower mounting bracket. Apply leverage by pushing the handle towards the front of the car and the blade against the PS pump body. Tighten the bolt and you're done.

3) Custom Built PS hose:
Here's a tip that's not very hard to do and will save you $$ when repairing the Power Steering High Pressure Hose.

I used a grinder and Dremel tool to remove the old crimps from my leaky OEM PS high pressure hose but retained the factory OEM fittings. Took me a little over an hour or so. Work carefully and try not to cut or grind into the original fittings. I nicked mine a few times but it was still OK.

Took it to my friendly neighbourhood hydraulic hose shop. They crimped on new ferrules and a higher-than-spec, wire-reinforced hose for only $14, taxes in. Sure beats paying $80 for a jobber hose or $150+ for a weak, non-reinforced Toyota OEM hose. :wink:

Here's how the fittings look disassembled below:

The hose is double-wire braid reinforced, rated @ 4800 psi.

Funny, the shop guy realized after he made it that it was a bit of over engineering, but it'll never leak again :D
Previously, I've also used the single-wire hose that was rated @ 2600 psi - more than adequate and what I'd recommend because it has a bit more flex.

End.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by Rick89GTS on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:06 am, edited 9 times in total.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby BLOWNTACO » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:26 am

Very nice!!!! Great idea!!
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
-Thomas Jefferson
BLOWNTACO
Club Member

Postby gt4tified » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:14 pm

Awesome....will be doing this very very soon, as my ps pump is gonna be changed anyway.
ST185 JDM GT-FOUR RC- "White Trash"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8264/dynographsmallstretchedmu9.jpg[/img][/url]
gt4tified
GTFour God

Postby LegacyofDan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:56 pm

4800 psi.... :shock: ....wow that is redic! how much psi does the ps produce in those lines?
LegacyofDan
GTFour God

Postby Rick89GTS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:32 am

^
Yeah, 4800 psi is overkill.
I'm not sure exactly how much pressure is produced in the power steering system. I asked the hose shop guy and he assured me that the single-braid wire hose (rated @ 2600 psi & SAE approved) is definitely higher rated than stock. I'd go with 2600 psi, it's more than adequate.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby gt4tified » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Did you replace the bit of hardline that goes into the steering rack with hose as well?
ST185 JDM GT-FOUR RC- "White Trash"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8264/dynographsmallstretchedmu9.jpg[/img][/url]
gt4tified
GTFour God

Postby Rick89GTS » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:27 pm

gt4tified wrote:Did you replace the bit of hardline that goes into the steering rack with hose as well?

No, this high pressure hose runs from the top of the PS pump to the hardline fitting at the top passenger corner of the chassis. It's the 17mm nut attachment.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby Rick89GTS » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:10 am

I'm wondering if the single-braid steel hose will work for custom brake lines as well? Any thoughts?

Update: Found out that my shop now also does custom brake lines :)
I'll post up if I use that service.
Last edited by Rick89GTS on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby 88st165 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:42 am

i know i said this before but the regular 4th gen hose will work. it was about $25 at my local autozone and it has a lifetime warranty. just another option for those who dont have a hydraulic shop near by. i used them on both my red and white 165.
Red st165 - Garage Queen turned wannabe track rat
White st165 - slapping back together and hoping for the best
Black st165 - gone
2011 FA5 - Family Truckster
88st165
Established Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:46 pm

88st165 wrote:i know i said this before but the regular 4th gen hose will work. it was about $25 at my local autozone and it has a lifetime warranty. just another option for those who dont have a hydraulic shop near by. i used them on both my red and white 165.

Do you know if it will work on the st185?
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby 88st165 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Hotrodhendrix wrote:
88st165 wrote:i know i said this before but the regular 4th gen hose will work. it was about $25 at my local autozone and it has a lifetime warranty. just another option for those who dont have a hydraulic shop near by. i used them on both my red and white 165.

Do you know if it will work on the st185?

not sure about the 185, if you have yours off just compare it to the one the store has. as for the 165 i did that and they were identical so i went with it.
Red st165 - Garage Queen turned wannabe track rat
White st165 - slapping back together and hoping for the best
Black st165 - gone
2011 FA5 - Family Truckster
88st165
Established Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:18 pm

I should have done that. I have power steering fluid leaking but not sure where its leaking from. I figure I can just start replacing stuff until it stops. Its kinda hard to track down when I have a large oil leak from the valve cover gasket and tranny leak somewhere. :twisted:
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby Rick89GTS » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Good info to know. How do you guys get it for only $25?! In my area, a 162/165 PS hose was about $80 last time I checked.

Lifetime warranty is great but I don't ever want to change another PS hose again (I've already done 3).
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 pm

They are a pain for sure. These are things that should be done when someone removes the engine even if there not bad yet imho.
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby ___Scott___ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:49 am

Rick89GTS wrote:How do you guys get it for only $25?! In my area, a 162/165 PS hose was about $80 last time I checked.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the NA models used the same hose. I seem to remember paying $35USD at my local AutoZone for one.

I also tried the local hydraulic shop approach. The hose end blew off about 100 miles after I put the engine back in. Replacing that hose with the engine in is probably the worst job I've had to do on my 165.

I had the hydraulic shop rework the hose, but I didn't want to take a chance on it again and bought the hose from AZ instead. If anyone wants the one I had built, make me an offer.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Next

Return to How To