Feeler/Gauging Interest; 1988 ST165 White All Trac, NC

MR2 Guru

I didnt want to put this in the for sale section because of the rules. I'm trying to get an idea of what the demand/price range would be for our car. We are ready to sell, but I'm waiting patiently for title issues to clear. The car was titled in SC, but converting a lost SC title to a new NC title is proving fun.

The car is located in Asheville, North Carolina 28806
Price is listed below in bold.

Here is the information, any help or suggestions are appreciated!

1988 Toyota Celica All Trac #7425, White with Blue Cloth Interior
DSC00991.JPG

86,XXX Original miles, original engine - Never opened
New OE Clutch Kit
Stock Wheels
Stock Head Unit

Interior: 8.5 out of 10 taking off points for the steering wheel and floor mats. The dash is spotless and the seats are hardly broken in. The interior appears that of a life-long garage kept vehicle.

Exterior: 6 out of 10 - to be brutally honest/nit picking

Exterior Explanation: Some rust - including sunroof and rear wheel wells, the most obvious being the sunroof. Paint has been resprayed, it looks good from a few feet away, but upon close inspection it could have been done a little better. The front bumper has paint chipping off but is free of damage. The fogs are intact and functional, as well as the front grill. There is no minor body damage to speak of aside from the rust mentioned. The underside of the original hood has rust. I installed an ST162 hood since it was in better condition, but I still have the original hood if you would like the numbers to match 100%.

Engine: 8 out of 10 - The engine itself has no leaks, but the power steering and radiator do. The high pressure power steering line is leaking badly and the radiator has about 2 lbs of quick seal on it because it keeps splitting at the top tank. I have been shopping for another radiator for 2 months with no luck, and this is the only reason it has not yet been replaced. I have learned that both of these problems are very common, and unfortunately it makes the parts a little harder to come by.

Because of these problems, and the lack of registration the mileage has not changed much since the date of purchase. I have attached pictures of the Odometer from the picture I was sent when considering the purchase, and a picture of the odometer today. The clutch I installed has not yet completed the break-in process, since I have been unable to drive the car more than 1-2 miles at a time.
Dsc01444.jpg

DSC00978.JPG

Here is a slew of pictures taken today:

DSC00965.JPG

DSC00966.JPG

DSC00968.JPG

DSC00972.JPG

DSC00974.JPG

DSC00975.JPG

DSC00997.JPG

Rust:

Left Rear Wheel Well:
DSC00967.JPG

Sunroof:
DSC00969.JPG

DSC00970.JPG

DSC00973.JPG

Right Rear Wheel Well:
DSC00971.JPG

Right Door Jamb:
DSC00994.JPG

Interior:
DSC00976.JPG

DSC00977.JPG

DSC00979.JPG

DSC00980.JPG

DSC00981.JPG

DSC00982.JPG

DSC00983.JPG

DSC00984.JPG

DSC00986.JPG

*This stain should be easily removable. I will try this later and post an update:
DSC00985.JPG

DSC00988.JPG

DSC00990.JPG

DSC00989.JPG

DSC00992.JPG

DSC00993.JPG

DSC00995.JPG

DSC01004.JPG

Engine, possibly the worst it can look since coolant exploded everywhere:
DSC00996.JPG

DSC00998.JPG

DSC00999.JPG

DSC01000.JPG

DSC01006.JPG

My thoughts are to ask $5000 for reasons I will explain. I wish I could keep the car myself, but I'm afraid I have just too many. Its much like kittens in the sense that you would love to keep them all, but its just not realistic.

I want a special person to have this car. I want a buyer that will keep the miles low and appreciate it for what it is. I would like a buyer that will take care of the rust before it becomes anything more than cosmetic, and keep the car in its current condition or better. If I could hold onto it for another 10-20 years, I'm sure it would be worth a pretty penny, but I just do not have the space or time to give it the care it deserves. I already have a black 1988 that is getting all of my All Trac attention, and I feel the car is being neglected as it sits. As I said, it has been so neglected I have yet to break in the brand new clutch we installed, replace the radiator or the power steering line.

I will be picky about who gets this car. I do not wish to offend anyone, but I feel bad enough that I have to let it go and I am afraid I will see the car in years to come disintegrate to nothing more than another beat up classic. I hope that everyone understands my opinion on this.

This car has tremendous potential to be something of amazement in the short term with a light wallet. I am trying to give the worst angles and perspectives of the car so that any buyer will be well informed and leave no room for disappointment upon seeing the car in person. I have taken these shots from the most disappointing angles and worst spots I could possibly shoot.

As I mentioned before, I am calling this a feeler for title purposes. I do have the title in the works, but it is not yet available for sale until I have it in hand.

I will entertain offers from exceptional buyers; meaning that the car will be repaired, garage kept, hugged daily and I will receive yearly updates with pictures from the new owner in a Christmas card. :twisted:

Thank you for looking,

- Locofrancais (MR2 Guru)

LegacyofDan

yes low miles indeed, but but u also have to put into perspective that bad items that cant be missed...cosmetically in my opinion you r good, but when u pop that hood that radiator is an instant turn off, it is VERY apparent that you went through the same crack and spray problems i went through with my trac, and with my own personal experience i know that that thing got hot...at least once. personally i would replace the radiator, only cuz you are going to turn off alot of buyers with that in the condition it is and in return lower overall price, esp with all the sprayed antifreeze on the alt and heat shield, that is my lil bit of criticism :)

MR2 Guru

LegacyofDan":cfwllma7 said:
yes low miles indeed, but but u also have to put into perspective that bad items that cant be missed...cosmetically in my opinion you r good, but when u pop that hood that radiator is an instant turn off, it is VERY apparent that you went through the same crack and spray problems i went through with my trac, and with my own personal experience i know that that thing got hot...at least once. personally i would replace the radiator, only cuz you are going to turn off alot of buyers with that in the condition it is and in return lower overall price, esp with all the sprayed antifreeze on the alt and heat shield, that is my lil bit of criticism :)

Constructive criticism is always gladly accepted, and never in offense ;)

I understand your concern, and I should have duly noted that the car has not been driven while leaking. As seen in the pictures of the odometer, I have racked up less than 150 miles since the purchase of the car - most of which between the shop and home (~2 miles both directions over the last 8 months). With the radiators condition I know better than to take it any further, avoiding exposure to excessive heat. The crack is usually re-exposed after driving, when the car is off and building pressure.

Unlike most sellers, I put the most emphasis on flaws through description and photos. Those who have seen the car in person say I portray the car more negatively than I should, but I do not wish for anyone to travel such a distance for a car that they may be disappointed with. This is my method of weeding-out window shoppers and the likes. Although this leaves a lot of room for criticism, I prefer that - to portray the car in the most honest way possible.

MR2 Guru

LegacyofDan":1mwf97sb said:
i wish there were more sellers like you out there :)(no homo)

Thank you, I do appreciate it! If I acquire more time and fewer cars, I will either keep her or invest in the radiator and high-pressure PS line. Its just a matter of having too many cars. Like pets, if you have too many, you can only devote so much time and money into each. *sniffle*

LegacyofDan

nah i understand all too well bro, i hav adapted my fathers habits...lol at my house we own

1 ford explorer(tranny about to die, my fathers DD)
2 honda accord(one dead, one sleeping, dead one is mine)
2 TR3 Trimphs(both not running yet)
1 66 CJ7(or 6, i can never remember which it is, transfer case is tired)
2 "willys jeeps"(thats what my father calls them, both dont run)
1 nissan pulsar(my DD, is supposed to b my sis's, but i reclaimed it)
1 toyota alltrac(mine)
2 more jeeps in new mexico bought and paid for but in storage
1 nissan pulsar with the CA18de motor in TN bought and paid

and i'm sure we have more that i dont know of lol...so yeah i understand man :)

FGFennec

I would be interested in buying the car.....hey...wait....that car looks really familiar! I think I have one EXACTLY like it in my driveway... :D :D :D