My GT-Four A - *stroker being put in*

timmey

Hey Guys,

I guess I never introduced my car or myself yet on this forum formally. I just kinda used the forum and never got around to it lol. For starters my name is Tim, I'm 20 from Victoria, BC Canada. I am a linux server/network administrator by trade.

I imported my car into Canada in late December, 2007 from Tokyo, Japan. It is a JDM 1991 GT-Four A, grey with dark grey leather seats. I decided to cut costs as much as possible and be my own importer/basically do everything. Originally I wanted a MKIV Supra, but the 15 year rule wouldn't allow it. I started reading up on what I COULD import, at the time all the imports on the road were Skylines. I didn't like the look of Skylines. I did some more looking around and realized a really liked the Gen5 Celica body. Not long after, I realized there was an AWD, turbo model that competed in the WRC! I immediately fell in love with the car - it's looks, history, rareity, and also I really liked the front end look of it with the RC bumper.

On Dec 16th I got a fax telling me my car had arrived in a port in Vancouver, BC and needed 5 days custom clearance. 21st rolls by, I take a float plane to downtown Vancouver (I live on Vancouver Island, a 25 minute small-plan flight/90 minute ferry to from the mainland). I went to the shipping company's HQ and signed some stuff, I went to customs and did the lame pile of paperwork, went to an auto insurer, confusing them to the point that they gave me a 4 day license to drive home when they shouldn't of :), took a skytrain (like a subway) and many buses to Annacis Island, an island of cars that are being imported to Canada.

I get off a bus and walk to the front gate. "Picking up a car from Japan.", I tell the lady. She worriedly asks "you're on foot?". I ask why. "6 km walk to that Admin building, you need to go there first." Fuck. I walk 6km to the building and they ask for $65, I have $40 cash, a VISA and a debit card. They don't take cards. Fuck! I walk 6km + 5km to the nearest place with an ATM and take a cab back, pay the dumb f-ing $65 and walk 6km to my car AGAIN!!!!

The port security walk me to my car, they say "Good luck, most don't start". I turn the ignition - nothing. The battery is dead. I got a jumpstart from a tow truck and, driving RHD for the first time and having no opportunity to stall, I drive her to the nearest Wal-mart to convert the battery terminals and install a new battery using the light on my cell phone and a $9.99 tool set from Wal Mart. :)

It starts! But I have less than a 1/6th of a tank of gas and I don't know where a gas station is. I drive in circles for a while then find one finally, the last ferry home is in about 50 minutes at this point (very bad). I fill up and drive in circles, lost for another 15 minutes. I finally get to the last ferry about 20 minutes before it leaves. I was the 3rd last car allowed on the last ferry home. WOW.

Word of advice: Importing a car to Canada is a lot of work.

Up until now the only notable upgrades have been:
-Taylor Battery box and relocation to trunk
-Greddy Type S Blow-off valve installed on OEM IC
-HKS turbo timer
-Whiteline rear swaybar
-Single-pot front brake upgrade (mine had dual pots). Raybestos Ceramics, Brembo blanks.
-C's short stroke shifter
-K&N style intake relocated near headlight
-Headlights replaced. Hella DRLs and different JDM clear corner/turn signals. Sylvania Sliverstar pop up lights.

I'll list of any other mods that come along on new posts.

Cheers Guys!

Tim

In japan before I bought it:
injapan1.jpg

injapan2.jpg

Shortly after getting it (it's different now):
carold1.jpg

timmey

The best part is I bargained the guy down like a 1/3rd on the price. He gave me a price in Yen, and I know a price in Yen means it can move around a bit :). Long story short, with 1200 US shipping, at a time that the Canadian dollar was doing 9 cents better than the american (payment was in US funds), the car was 2900 Canadian dollars!

In the end after getting it home, inspected, $1000 in DOT tires, a few day insurances, ferry, other parts it ended up being about $5750 Canadian legal to drive. The car only had 76k on it at that point. Killer deal, like my mind is still blown that the guy took that little. It was like 1,700 US plus the shipping charges. LOL :D The low cost of this car often encourages me to spend a lot on it, hehe.

Then again most importers that do it all for you tack on $1500+ from what I found.

The day I imported it I got to downtown Vanouver at 8am on foot, and got home at 10:45pm the same day, lol. What a day that was, something like 30km of walking my ass around, I was too tired to even appreciate the car really, although the first boost on the highway was a real 'it's mine now' point. I don't even remember most of that day I was in such a hurry. :D

That day I traveled by 7 forms of transport: Foot, Plane, Subway/Skytrain, Bus, Cab, Ferry, Fucking Kickass Car.

Kcman91gts

That is one crazy amount of fun it sounds you had there ... Im torn equally the same ..

i have a 91 gt celica that while it pulls its weight .. things keep breaking on it .. so i want to a 3sgte swap ..

Or

i can import a 91 Gt four (but torn between RC and non RC)

but then i realised that hey ... its almost 2009 .. i can get an st205 in half a year if i play my cards right ...

its such a tough decision , i have been reading alot on doing it myself but i think i may pay someone to do it all for me , i was thinking jspec imports . as i hear alot of good things about them ..

alot of my friends want me to do the FWD conversion just because no one has one in town . and it would be unique in a "sense" but too would a st205 right hand drive sexiness.

timmey

Yeah what a day that was. I wish I could have relaxed and enjoyed it more, but i rushed around for 14 hours getting it and me on the ferry home, and then I passed out, got off the ferry, got home and passed out. lol

When I got up the next day I kinda forgot about the car for a bit until my mind woke up and I went and stared at and figured out where everything in it was, and what I planned to pour my money into.

Anyhow, no picture updates yet, although I just bought a sweet SLR camera so I'll have lots. There is a ECU update on my first post now.

timmey

I like the 205 engine, but not the car. Something about it just isn't as cool. I think it's the headlights and the curve of the roof. The roof looks more "dome-ie" than the 90-93. Personally my ideal All-trac/Celica would be a GT-Four RC 91-93 with a 205 swap. The 90-93 shape is cooler than the 205 IMHO. Absolutely ideally I would get a turbo'd 93 supra....drooool......

Importing yourself isn't that bad, ESPECIALLY if you live in Vancouver. A lot of the non sense I went through is due to me living on Vancouver Island. If I lived in Vancouver, I could of causually did the paper work, and then got the car on separate days, not rushed to get there and back. If I lived in Vancouver, I would have left the car when it didn't start and came back the next day, ya know?

Up to you, but I would do it myself personally. Then again i've done it before now. My advice is to import a JDM RC edition. The RC is cool and I just really like RHD cars now, waay too used to it.

Kcman91gts":2c5uem94 said:
That is one crazy amount of fun it sounds you had there ... Im torn equally the same ..

i have a 91 gt celica that while it pulls its weight .. things keep breaking on it .. so i want to a 3sgte swap ..

Or

i can import a 91 Gt four (but torn between RC and non RC)

but then i realised that hey ... its almost 2009 .. i can get an st205 in half a year if i play my cards right ...

its such a tough decision , i have been reading alot on doing it myself but i think i may pay someone to do it all for me , i was thinking jspec imports . as i hear alot of good things about them ..

alot of my friends want me to do the FWD conversion just because no one has one in town . and it would be unique in a "sense" but too would a st205 right hand drive sexiness.

gt4tified

Glad to hear you and your GTFOUR are going well. What are your plans for the car as far as usage goes? Just a daily driven street machine or auto-x or drag project perhaps?

The GT28RS is a helluva turbo. I sat in two cars with that....a RWD Mitsu. Lancer and a turbo civic....both pulled crazy fast. The spool is excellent as well. Maybe one day I may have the funds to invest in one.

The mines will pull better than your stock ecu due to the remapped boost maps. Your old ecu may have been defective or running in safe mode and that's why it may not have crossed 5psi. And 8psi is where the fun just begins on our cars. I currently boost 12psi and I love it but I want to go up to 15low and 17high by next year.

timmey

Thanks!

This is a daily driver/street machine, I work 5 minutes from work so it's not used too often. My power goals are 300-350hp of fast spooling power. I am not looking for the big hp number, but the fast spool/acceleration. Reliable power over "I can brag about it" power. I would LOVE to auto-x one day but have never been formally taught. I generally head out to the mountains in the boonies and fly around corners where no one is in the way. I love how safe I feel in this car on a bank at a good speed, it just sticks to the ground. Not even a doubt in my mind it will stay in control, unlike a RWD where there is always that 'maybe this will go wrong' feeling. I am considering taking an course the local track does, cause I would love to learn more about auto-x. I could do it, just not well without being shown the ropes.

I would really like a Gt28 but I went for a used KO Racing t3/t4 Street Brawler (46-trim) for a great deal. I hear the spool is similar but not quite as good. I plan to run it at around 17-21 psi.

The Mine's is neat something is different for sure, and it has much more of an initial whip to it when you boost. Yeah, maybe something was making my stock ECU limit early. I look forward to more psi :). Although I've had these problems, it's comforting that there is more juice left in her. I'll get there eventually. 12+ psi will be insane seeing I am used to 5, then before that a rusty 87 Prelude with 90hp. lol

Cheers!

Tim

gt4tified":1b8vznwi said:
Glad to hear you and your GTFOUR are going well. What are your plans for the car as far as usage goes? Just a daily driven street machine or auto-x or drag project perhaps?

The GT28RS is a helluva turbo. I sat in two cars with that....a RWD Mitsu. Lancer and a turbo civic....both pulled crazy fast. The spool is excellent as well. Maybe one day I may have the funds to invest in one.

The mines will pull better than your stock ecu due to the remapped boost maps. Your old ecu may have been defective or running in safe mode and that's why it may not have crossed 5psi. And 8psi is where the fun just begins on our cars. I currently boost 12psi and I love it but I want to go up to 15low and 17high by next year.

timmey

Updates!!

I have my new KO Racing T3/T4 Street Brawler (46-trim) here! Woot! I bought it from a Gen3 MR2 guy so I need to send the adapter down to be swapped but this is going in soon. Pictures tonight!

I also bought an AEM EMS from Alamo Racing, these guys were great. It is the plug-n-play 91 AEM, and it has the AEM Wideband controller/gauge, harnesses and boost controller/solenoid!

Lastly, I have an old Greddy Proftec going in, the really old 3-knob one. I am debating no whether or not to use the AEM boost controller (more configurable for per-gear maps) or the Greddy (easier to use cause it's hardware).

What's everyone's opinion on that? Cheers!

timmey

AEM EMS, Wideband Gauge/Controller, Boost Solenoid and pre-wired MR2 harness arrived today!! I am not sure if I will use the harness but it is pre-wired for the GM 3 bar MAP, GM IAT, and GM knock this came with. I guess I could just move those wires over to mine, or adapt the MR2 one to my car :S.

ST185pinjo

Looking good.

Can you tell me the dimentions of the Fluidine cooler? That looks interesting. I have a stock CS HE, but that doesn't look very efficient cooling wise.

timmey

ST185pinjo":gczd1wya said:
Looking good.

Can you tell me the dimentions of the Fluidine cooler? That looks interesting. I have a stock CS HE, but that doesn't look very efficient cooling wise.

"Overall Size: 28.125W x 7.15H x 3.5D"

Pretty huge eh? I am going to have to move my fog lights cause the thing is so big, but seeing the RC never had a reservoir, I figured a huge HE should help. :)

timmey

ST185pinjo":37i0v2cr said:
Huge indeed.

Are the pipes comming out of the HE and IC the same in size?

No, they are 3/4" on the HE. I am replacing them with 7/8" barbs that the IC and pump use. More flow!! :)

What is everyone's thoughts on AEM EMS boost controller vs a Greddy Proftec?

Cheers,

Tim

ST185pinjo

I also use a boostvalve on my EMS. The advantage is you can set the boost at RPM. For instance, you can have the boost at 20 psi from spool to 6000 rpm and then lower the boost some for the remaining rpm.

most ebc's can't do that. It also saves you one more box in your drivers compartment.

You can also log your boostcurve.

I love mine.

timmey

ST185pinjo":382wmekj said:
I also use a boostvalve on my EMS. The advantage is you can set the boost at RPM. For instance, you can have the boost at 20 psi from spool to 6000 rpm and then lower the boost some for the remaining rpm.

most ebc's can't do that. It also saves you one more box in your drivers compartment.

You can also log your boostcurve.

I love mine.

SOLD! :)

Yeah, I thought so too. A linear curve isn't as cool, and if I wanted to be dumb a do a linear curve, this can do either. I like the per-gear, per-rpm maps, that is a cool feature.

redGT4

AEM sounds like a true plug and play, so hopefully the tuning will be a minimum. Maybe someone on the forums who has one could give you good base map to start with.

Good Tuning!

timmey

New Year Update:

My shop installed my W2A intercooler setup!! It is comprised of a st205 pump and IC core, Dayco 7/8" rubber heater core hose and a Fluidyne 05+ Mustang Cobra H/E. Also installed a Greddy Type-S BOV, a TurboSmart manual boost tee, a MSD SS Blaster coil, and a Moroso overflow bottle off of the radiator mount, as the pump took the room the OEM overflow bottle needed. Both the IC and regular coolant system is tee'd into the same overflow line at the moment.

This was quite an improvement. The boost is very responsive and the car has a lot more pull, although the boost was raised to about 11psi from the 5-6psi my car was doing before that. Why it wasn't doing 8psi, I don't understand.

Shortly after this, I installed my Cusco front strut bar which was a big difference in handling! I highly recommend getting this bar!!

WARNING: One thing I realized is if you have Cruise control, it's actuator is mounted to your OEM strut bar and will need a custom mount when you use a Cusco bar. For now mine is zap-strapped to the Cusco bar, but it is causing my throttle cables to stick! ARGH!

Anyways...the IC:

Engine Bay, IC core, BOV, TurboSmart boost controller:
a2w-engine.jpg

MONSTER H/E!:
a2w-bumper.jpg

Pump behind headlight, hoses go through the hole the OEM overflow bottle used. Yea, it's zap-strapped...I know...I'll get a mount made when I feel like it:
a2w-pump.jpg

Moroso overflow off on the left now, both the IC and regular coolant system go to this:
a2w-tank.jpg

Shortly after installing all this fun stuff, I scraped my rear-quarter-panel on a concrete column cause I was making room for another car to get by and then didn't notice how close my rear was to the concrete column when I turned after they went by me. It sheared off many layers of paint, some down to the metal and bent the panel in about 3-4 different spots. :(

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!!!

f'd-up1.jpg

f'd-up2.jpg

f'd-up3.jpg

The moral of the story: You win some, you lose some. :S

I plan to save up to paint the entire car in the future to fix that.

As far as the IC, I want to get the mounts for the IC core fixed so it doesn't tilt so much to the right, fix my sticky throttle cables that the IC or strut bar install caused and make some mounts for my pump and Cruise control box.