abraxxa's ST205

abraxxa

Last weekend I've finally changed my OEM clutch which started to slip over 1.0bar boost to the Carbonetic twin-disc carbon clutch. link

026%20finally%20installed_.jpg

Huge thanks to Andreas (Turbo4WD_CS) for his help!!!
He stayed calm when things didn't go well at first and he didn't try to get the work done as fast as possible without being accurate.

lumbercis

Not too many people have run that clutch yet. Looking forward to a full review once you have a chance to beat on it a little bit.

BTW, isn't this our very first ST205 project thread????!!!

J.

abraxxa

@pit_celica: much more on my homepage behind the link!

@lumbercris: i don't think so, about two years ago a crazy Australian posted his ST205.

RedCelicaTRD

At least you had a lift that you could use. That almost always makes things go smoother. I am also awaiting your review on this clutch.

abraxxa

I only took the car home for an about 30 minutes drive and it was very smooth.
I never stalled it like it happened to me when I drove the IS200 Turbo of a friend with a Sachs sinter metal clutch.
It rattles when disengaged like all multi plate clutches do, but not that loud as metal ones.

lumbercis

I know you've probably posted them on other areas of the forum, but a few exterior and engine bay shots in your initial post would be nice. Kinda the "before" pics as your car changes.

j.

abraxxa

Just click the link, in the gallery on my homepage are a lot of shots.

I took it for a longer drive yesterday and noticed that the clutch rattles louder than on disengagment, which is normal for multiplate clutches, when I lift my foot from the throttle.
Is that normal too?

lumbercis

I've never run a multiplate myself. There's one or two guys that are testing them out on supraforums, but they are waiting on reviews as well.

Re: the noise, you might want to ask over on supraforums or maybe evolutionm since they have a lot more experience with multiplate clutches.

I have hopes for this clutch as a cheaper alternative to a carbon-carbon tilton.

J.

abraxxa

Till now it's great.
The noise is acceptable for me (it's quite funny to watch people when you sit at a red light :lol: ).
I've changed the front engine mount back from the C-One to the OEM to minimize vibrations but haven't been on the highway to test if the killing hum is bearable now...

Still no exhaust gas suction unit at the new dynojet of a friend so the Haltech still isn't dyno mapped. :(

GMan

That is a Serious Clutch for a Serious Car. :smokes:

Where do you plan to go with hp ?

Regards;

abraxxa

I was finally on the DynoJet of a friend last friday and my tuner finished the mapping...six month late because the OEM clutch started to slip above 1.0bar. ;-(

This is the dynochart from the Maha dyno last year (i've created the graph from the ~1000 values in OpenOffice):
dyno+2007-10-13.png

This is the dynochart from last friday:
dyno+2008-11-14.jpg

As you can see the turbo spools about 500rpm earlier thanks to the sharper mapping and boost control (with the stock VSV valve) which is the most noticeable difference to the stock ECU.
The torque stays up longer too and doesn't drop immediatly after the peak.

abraxxa

It's always different than you think...

I've swapped my ecu from this...
haltec1.jpg

...to this!
Platinum_1000%20web.jpg

yes, it's a bit smaller, but not that much.

Importing the mapping from the E8 was successful, I just had to adjust the trigger calibration because the engine stalled right after starting.
Next weekend my tuner duo will check if everything is ok when the next Haltech software release (1.03) is out.

Asap after that my new brake discs (Endless 6 slotted) are going onto the car (front & rear):
Image1.jpg

Image1.jpg